Dubai on my own - any ideas

(6 Posts)
mrsbjunior Wed 02-Oct-13 18:30:36

Not sure whether Dubai counts as long or short haul but will try here first.
I am lucky enough to be able to accompany DH on his business trip to Dubai but he will be in meetings for most of the time. Any recommendations for things to do and hotel beach clubs to visit as our hotel is not near the beach? Thanks

Isthiscorrect Mon 14-Oct-13 04:23:55

When are you travelling and where is your hotel? How long are you staying?
A trip to to the souk, followed by an abra trip over the creek to the gold souk. If you are an early morning person then the fish market is amazing. Afternoon you could do a desert safari. This week the Muslim majority are celebrating Eid, and everywhere is decorated, with special offers and open 24 hours!
You must visit the burj khalifa, book in advance online it's much cheaper and leave plenty of time, also the fountains at Dubai Mall every evening are fab. Sometimes they do special events with flames as well. Get a table reservation overlooking the fountains.
Talise is a beautiful spa and you can stay all day.
Bastikiya is the historic area, yep there isn't much but galleries are opening and it's a great place to wander down back allies. You can find the tiny Indian market, visit the Dubai museum for 1dh, it's not world class but it is interesting. Take an organised dhow trip to see the dolphins in the wild.
If you need more info please ask, and enjoy your trip.

ForeverProcrastinating Sat 26-Oct-13 20:13:55

Apologies for side lining thread OP, but Isthis, can you recommend a budget hotel for a Christmas 7 day break, please? Thank you very much.

Isthiscorrect Mon 04-Nov-13 16:29:09

Sorry forever. I've only just seen this, ds had been ill for quite a while and taken all my time.
Nowhere will be cheap at Christmas, Dubai is a peak holiday destination, the weather will be fab. If you're not so bothered about Dubai try the Waldorf in RAK (Ras Al Khaimah). It's about 40 mins from Dubai airport. It is right on the beach and new so currently it does have some cheap(er) deals. Jebel Ali hotel in Dubai is a resort style hotel but further out, cabs become expensive. Some hotels are dry (no alcohol) but come up cheap and reasonably high on trip advisor.
If it's just accommodation then try the Oasis on the Walk at the marina. If you are looking at hotels in Bur Dubai or Deira they are interesting areas but much less touristy, offices, etc.
If you haven't already booked come back with some thoughts and I will help as much as I can.

Redtartanshoes Wed 06-Nov-13 13:41:53

Sorry to gate crash.

Ds(6) and I are thinking if heading to Dubai at Christmas. The travel agent has suggested Media Rotana as a hotel but it looks very businessy... Not sure how much there would be to do With a 6 year old... Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Isthiscorrect Thu 07-Nov-13 02:36:51

Hey Red!
I wouldn't recommend Media Rotana. It is a business hotel, you wouldn't be able to walk anywhere, although cabs are easy to get and cheap.
Ideally you want to be on the beach. Try the Oasis Beach Tower, they are apartments but on the Walk at JBR, so lots going on with the beach on the other side of the road. Virgin used to offer apartments there.
Otherwise you should try Le Royal Meridien. The Hilton JBR. Jumeirah beach hotel is too exp and the rooms to small plus they seem to be undergoing some sort of revamp and the bar is half size and Jamie's isn't open yet and has been closed since before the summer. Hth. I will have a think about other places.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now