Vietnam - things to see (and where to stay?)

(5 Posts)
OverAndAbove Tue 24-Sep-13 20:59:06

We are thinking of going to Vietnam for a week/a few days, whilst travelling in Asia for a few weeks at Easter (so a shorter flight). Does anyone have recommendations for "must see" places or things to do please? It will be me, DH and 7yo DD; we like the beach but also want to see some cultural/heritage sites.

Also any hotel recommendations much appreciated. Budget is looking pretty healthy as it's a one-off trip for us, so we would like somewhere nice... Or a good website to trawl through for ideas?

Thanks in advance!

dontyouknow Wed 25-Sep-13 23:03:38

From Saigon you can do a day trip to the Mekong Delta which was interesting. You get taken to some tunnels the Vietcong used. I am sure my 6 year old DD would like crawling through them.

Hoi An is a lovely place to relax but you don't have long so might want to give it a miss.

Hue was nice for a bit of culture - nice boat trip along the perfume river and I think there was a ruined palace as well.

Can't recommend hotels as we were backpacking. We did splash out on a flignt Hue to Hanoi. Pleasantly surprised by Vietnam airlines! The county is very long and thin so unless you just go to one place there will be a lot of travelling and you will probably want to fly. I don't think a few days in Vietnam would really be worthwhile. If you are looking for an extra place to go for a few days have you thought about Cambodia - just going to Angkor Wat which is incredible and easy to fly to from Bangkok?

OverAndAbove Fri 27-Sep-13 16:29:35

Thanks for that - am just starting to get my head round the geography, so will look at these places; also Cambodia is not a bad idea so will research. Cheers!

surgicalwidow Thu 03-Oct-13 13:26:47

I second Hoi An but if you're short on time you could do Cambodia (amazing) and south Vietnam (those tunnels, Mekong Delta etc) without too much travel or need for additional flights.

BlingBang Wed 16-Oct-13 00:14:17

Only been to Hanoi and loved it. Surprising and loads to see.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now