Which would you choose and why? Trip with 6 and 4 yo DCs

(8 Posts)
Rascal79 Sat 14-Sep-13 15:58:58

Hi All

We are saving for a big holiday which we plan to take in about two years time when the kids will be six and four. We want it to be a holiday of a lifetime and so far have thought of the three things: RV driving holiday/camping etc in maybe NE USA; New Zealand or Southern Africa (Maybe South Africa/Namibia/Botswana.)

Which would you do and why? And if you would do one over the others what would be your recommendations?

Yonihadtoask Sat 14-Sep-13 17:27:11

Having done none of those holidays - I would choose the RVdriving holiday in USA.

I did spend a lot of time as a child/teen in California, did a fair bit of camping and fishing etc. Ha da blast.

It's not too long a flight, I ink the dollar/pound exchange rate is favourable at the moment. Loads to see.

I wouldn't pick NZ with young DC - would love to do it just me and DH though. Just because of the long flight really.

Wouldn't choose South Africa - as I am always a little wary of countries which have had unrest/troubles. But that is just me.

Hope you get some replies from travellers who have tried these destinations.

quoteunquote Sat 14-Sep-13 17:28:29

I would wait two years and go for Botswana, they will remember more.

MerryMarigold Sat 14-Sep-13 17:29:08

I would go somewhere with some beach time. Kids love it. Sri Lanka? Not sure about the RV driving holiday...whilst I would love to do it when mine are teens, young kids just don't 'get' the idea of driving long distances.

mummymeister Sat 14-Sep-13 18:14:33

I would pick the place that you want to go to the most and your dc's will come along and have a great time. wouldn't go anywhere personally where they needed lots of jabs or the water was dodgy. definitely not Africa I am afraid and NZ is a long way to go unless you make it 5 or 6 weeks. don't forget that you cant take them in term time though due to the new rule change.

Rascal79 Sun 15-Sep-13 15:40:18

Thanks everyone. There are definatly points to consider for all places. I think NZ is too far really unless, as you say, we go for some time.

We wouldn't need malaria tablets etc for South Africa and I don't think we will need jabs but will have to check. Obviously if we did Botswana and Namibia it is likely I guess.

I think the US would probably be the best option. When I say driving holiday I certainly don't mean days and days of diving. More like 2 hours a day and then the fun of camping, walking, horse riding etc. Anyone done this?

Drladybird Wed 18-Sep-13 10:00:42

I'd go for Africa. Definitely. If you want to avoid taking malaria tablets (although there are ones suitable for children) then South Africa or Namibia would be ideal. I think you would probably would need a couple of jabs. We are going to KEnya in October with our daughter and have had to have typhoid and hepatitis. I think this part of the world just has so much to offer- such a different culture, where children are absolutely welcomed but there is also wonderful wildlife, beach etc. I think you can self drive in both SA and Namibia so you could still plan a trip that suited you. I'd check out African Travel Resource because they have a great website with beautiful images.

carlajean Thu 19-Sep-13 22:01:16

I'd wait until they are older, early teens at least, as they would be more resilient health-wise and would enjoy it more. Our children are in their 20s now and, when asked what their favourite holidays were, say the cheap and cheerfuls and hardly remember the more expensive ones.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now