Two centre - Canada and "somewhere hot and beachy". Any advice?

(14 Posts)
Crikeyblimey Tue 10-Sep-13 20:23:33

Hi
We want to go to the Rockies next year but are thinking of tagging on a week somewhere hot and "beachy".

Has anyone done this kind of trip? Any suggestions as to where to get my "beach fix"?

Thanks

lazydog Thu 12-Sep-13 07:11:51

Well, I live in the Canadian Rockies and the two most common beach vacation destinations for people from round here tend to be either Mexico or Hawaii, if that helps at all...?

Fluffy1234 Thu 12-Sep-13 08:51:18

Whenever I go the Caribbean I seem to get talking to lots of Canadians and the flight doesn't sound to bad. So perhaps one of the Caribbean islands is a poss.

Crikeyblimey Thu 12-Sep-13 18:13:54

Ooooh. Thanks guys. I'll check out flights etc.

Lazy - are there any " hottish in August" places in Canada?

exexpat Thu 12-Sep-13 18:17:01

The various huge lakes in Canada have lots of beaches, and get pretty hot in August, so are good for swimming and watersports, but they are a very different atmosphere from a Caribbean beach holiday.

lazydog Fri 13-Sep-13 21:48:19

"Hottish in August" - yes. Vast areas get baking hot, dry summers...but coastally, not so much. If you do want to stick with Canada, though, the obvious combination would be the BC/AB Rockies, combined with a boozy week in the Okanagen with its beautiful lakes and vineyards.

lazydog Fri 13-Sep-13 21:49:27

Doh - Okanagan. Spelling is not my strong point grin

July in cottage country in Ontario is hotter than hell. Very humid and steamy and only bearable if you have a lovely cool refreshing lake to jump into and dock to sit on whilst consuming beer after frosty beer.

Days are warm / hot in August but the nights cool off and you can have some cracking campfires.

SoYo Fri 13-Sep-13 21:53:22

We did Whistler/Vancouver and Hawaii for our honeymoon. It was awesome.

Am also Canadian by the way <<flashes credentials>>

Crikeyblimey Sun 15-Sep-13 17:53:37

Fab - thanks. I'll go and do some boozy research!

I don't mind it not being coastal, I just want water to swim in, wine to drink and lazy evenings with fab scenery (and no jumper on).

gandalfcat Thu 26-Sep-13 19:50:22

just spent 10 days in Vancouver then a week in Kelowna, right on the lake (water skiing, kayaking etc.) with vineyards & wineries - lovely 20+ degrees for the city break then 30 degrees in Kelowna - was perfect & wasted minimal time on air travel during the holiday as Vancouver to Kelowna just over an hour! If you go, the BC wines are wonderful now, but not big enough for export, so the locals keep them for themselves - make sure you try them.

Watching with interest. Fancy something similar next year.

Lizzylou Thu 26-Sep-13 19:53:57

Ooh Gandalf, my Mom lived in Kelowna for a time. Gorgeous place, lots of lovely vineyards around there too smile
Best Pinot Gris I have EVER had.
We did Vancouver, Kelowna and then Banff/Lake Louise. Fabulous place Op, am very envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now