Los Angeles

(11 Posts)
Littlestrickle Tue 10-Sep-13 10:56:39

DH & I are off to California soon and have pretty much finalised our itinerary apart from the LA part. We have 3 full days allocated to LA. Plan to spend 1 day doing a tour of the highlights. 1 day on the beach. Any suggestions for the 3rd day? We like walking and sightseeing and nature (don't want to do things like Madame Tussaud's etc). The Queen Mary is a possibility but don't think that will take up a full day. TIA

homebythesea Wed 11-Sep-13 08:32:56

Avoid Queen Mary - it is a rip off and will only occupy max 2hrs. It is mostly a hotel and you really don't get any feel for any of its history. Although if you relish the prospect of gawping at Diana's dresses.......

I would really recommend Universal Studios for a day trip (upgrade to front if queue tickets and you really can do it in a day). It is fascinating even without DC

specialsubject Wed 11-Sep-13 18:40:26

Getty museum? I'm no arts buff but I found it interesting and it is a great setting on a nice day.

Fluffy1234 Wed 11-Sep-13 18:45:20

I'd recommend Griffith Observatory.

LillianGish Wed 11-Sep-13 18:58:38

For walking, sightseeing and nature I'd go for the Observatory. If you are a Mad Men fan you could follow it/precede it with lunch/dinner at Little Dom's on Hillhurst Avenue - Jon Hamm's fave hang out!

mrswobblebottom Thu 12-Sep-13 20:55:46

Griffith Observatory is closed mondays just for your info, guess what day we went there! You can still walk round the outside, amazing views and canyton hikes from there. The Farmers Market and The Grove are next to each other and worth a look if you are in that area. Lots of eateries!

Busybeingbusy Fri 13-Sep-13 15:47:22

Warner Bros tour?

dottygamekeeper Mon 30-Sep-13 22:22:54

LACMA which is near the Tar Pits and the Farmers Market I thinkgreat buldings, great art and food trucks just outside.
Venice Beach - do the boardwalk but also explore the canals area behind the beach - fascinating houses and gardens, little streets and bridges.
As others have said, Griffith Observatory and the park.
We also did Warner Bros - it was OK, but as I am not really into US TV shows a lot of it didn't mean much to me, but DD loved seeing the set for Big Bang Theory.

Pitmountainpony Sat 12-Oct-13 03:05:08

Universal over warner tour as it is just better value.....it is a fun day out and includes a fun studio tour.
I think the Getty and the observatory...nearby Trails cafe on the way up....Ryan gosling,s hang out cafe....best baked goods in LA many say. Do the beach on a Monday as lots is closed on a Monday. Best beaches......point dune or Zumba...Malibu cafe is lovely on drive back from coast...very magical spot with paddle boats and outdoor tables, like something from Alice in wonderland.

Bear in mind that the Griffiths observatory is closed each Monday.

Bunbaker Sat 12-Oct-13 09:52:42

Are you not going to do Disneyland at all?
Bear in mind that LA is huge and just getting from one attraction to another could take some time.
We had a couple of days there and spent one at Disneyland and one on a bus tour - far easier than driving around getting lost. The bus tour took us to the Hollywood bowl, Hollywood itself and Universal Studios where we spent the entire afternoon.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now