Where would you go with an 8 month old in November?

(13 Posts)
glorious Fri 06-Sep-13 19:00:23

Not as much warm as some suggestions but we're off to Japan in a fortnight with our DD who'll turn 8 months while we're there. There is a tropical island if you fancy a long ferry trip!

dontyouknow Fri 06-Sep-13 18:45:46

Longhaul we've been to Thailand, Malaysia, Sri Lanka, India and Jamaica with a young child and I would recommend them all. Keep meaning to go to Bali which I have been to before and love.

Goa is good with children - more developed than a lot of India, but it is still very "Indian". We stay near Calangute and you can do lots of trips which don't involve too much travel. There are loads of different beaches to explore up the coast - many have beach shacks to hang out in for drinks/food/shade. You can do boat trips to look for crocodiles and dolphins (not at the same place!), there is a big weekly market to wander round, old forts to explore, temples to look at, spice plantations to visit, waterfalls to look at.

You can also get direct charter flights which make it much easier than Kerala to get to as they only take about 8 hours. I imagine the capital Panaji would have some decent hospitals.

GrumpyKat Thu 29-Aug-13 13:27:06

We're off to Bali again , having taken dd at 6 months. It really was/will be fabulous, the idea destination with tinies as the Balinese are so amazingly, unfailingly enthusiastic about babies.
PM me if you want any Bali ideas, I've just put our fourth trip together and I know the island pretty well.
We've also taken her to Peninsula Malaysia (Sabah is malarial, haven't made it to Sarawak yet!), and Thailand. Both those options were great too.

Quodlibet Tue 27-Aug-13 20:54:30

I haven't been to Cuba but was considering it for our last pre-DC holiday. Hurricane season is Sept-Oct but I think it should have finished by Nov. I couldn't recommend places for you but it's meant to be a nice place to go with kids as the Cubans are v child-friendly, and you can easily make an itinerary which includes some culture in Havana with some good beaches and/or rainforest.

IJustNeedANap Tue 27-Aug-13 20:12:57

Jamaica? We're going with DD who will be 13m old

butteroneverything Tue 27-Aug-13 20:11:20

Ooh, South Africa's a good shout. Again, somewhere else for me to look into - I'm getting spoilt for ideas! Thanks Fluffy

Fluffy1234 Tue 27-Aug-13 11:26:45

Would you consider Cape Town, although a long flight there's no jet lag? Lots to do , weather would be perfect for sightseeing or a bit of sunbathing.

butteroneverything Mon 26-Aug-13 20:53:24

Thanks for the ideas.
For Cuba - I think November isn't meant to be a good time to visit - is that right? If I'm wrong, would you recommend anywhere in particular?
We know KL quite well (lots of work trips and stopovers) but I've never actually been to Kota Kinabalu. I hadn't really considered Malaysia so thanks, will look into it.

Keep the ideas coming!

Essexgirlupnorth Mon 26-Aug-13 16:32:58

Malaysia? Main land not malarial found it fairly clean could have a few days in KL then head to beach. We stayed in the Shangri la in Kota Kinabalu which was very child friend an lovely. Part of Borneo do have malaria but Kota Kinabalu is safe but not a very interesting city though the islands off it are beautiful.

Quodlibet Mon 26-Aug-13 16:24:14

How about Cuba?

butteroneverything Mon 26-Aug-13 13:01:02

Ooh yes please nannyafrica. I loved Sri Lanka when I was there. And I know DH would love it too. Any info you have on where to go/stay and your driver's details would be fab! Thanks.

nannyafrica Mon 26-Aug-13 10:29:57

We love Sri Lanka, been 2 times this year. We had a private car and driver for 3 weeks cost was £550 thats for car, fuel and his accommodation at night, our flight were £500 each and we stayed in b and b up to 4*hotels that came to £650 so around a £1000 each for 3 weeks. There is so much do see and do there. We ended up in a hotel called Turtle Bay in Tangalle which we loved. Can send more info if you would like of our driver.

butteroneverything Sun 25-Aug-13 23:11:19

DH and I used to do quite a bit of travelling in our pre-mortgage, pre-baby days envy, and we are pining for a bit of an adventure. We would like to go away for a couple of weeks in Oct/Nov and are looking for inspiration. DS will be about 8 months old by then. We'd like somewhere warm, 'interesting' (DH hates lying on a beach, although I quite fancy somewhere where we can do a bit of exploring and a bit of lying on a sunlounger), with decent healthcare just in case the worst happens, and a non-malarial area. The shorter the flight the better I guess, but this isn't a deal-breaker.
Our only proper idea at the moment is Kerala in India - but I'm a bit worried about the health risks for DS. People have also suggested Thailand, Bali, Mexico and Sri Lanka - all of which we've visited in the past, but would be happy to go again if we could come up with the perfect itinerary. In the past, we've usually backpacked (getting slightly more luxe as we got older!), so it doesn't need to be 5* accommodation - although clearly we'll need a level of comfort with DS which we might not have bothered about before.
Has anyone done something similar? Does anyone have any new ideas or thoughts about what I've posted?
Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now