Just booked to go to Ko Lanta next year. Anyone been?

(15 Posts)
Living Sun 25-Aug-13 16:19:18

We were there last year and I saw families renting tuk tuks as an option. There seemed to be various car hire options.

Loved Koh Lanta. Rarely for us we're going back next year at the tail end of a trip to Thailand.

Back2Two Fri 23-Aug-13 19:12:23

Does anyone know which bit of the coast of the island is best and any recommendations for when to go and accommodation?

Billwoody Thu 22-Aug-13 22:38:22

We had a scooter but i would imagine you should be able to hire a mini jeep - just ask; whoever you ask will have a brother or a cousin who will know somebody. I can't quite remember where it is but there is an amazing cliff side bar on that side of the island; just off the road - I think it is called sunset bar. Keep a look out for it.

specialsubject Thu 22-Aug-13 22:27:19

Check your travel insurance before you use scooters - they may be excluded.

Lanta is just glorious - enough facilities but laid back, relaxed and not full of drunken gappies.

Runoutofideas Thu 22-Aug-13 22:04:11

Not brave enough for scooters - having seen so many people come off them! Girls are 9 and 6. I think a lot of places are walking distance from the villa, but wanted to hire something to see a bit more of the island.

filee777 Thu 22-Aug-13 20:25:54

Hire 2 scooters, how old are the kids?

Runoutofideas Thu 22-Aug-13 20:08:58

We are staying in a villa on the beach just opposite cook kai restaurant - apparently they'll even deliver to us! Am interested in the cookery school. I meant to do it in Ao Nang last time we were there but didn't get round to it. Is it easy to hire a 4X4? I know most people hire scooters but that's a bit tricky with 2 children and I don't fancy piling us all on one, Thai style!

Billwoody Thu 22-Aug-13 19:29:41

Look up time for lime cookery school if you interested in doing a one day course and eating some good food.
We stayed at waterfall/last beach for three weeks a few years ago - it is lovely but you did need a 4x4 to get there.
We went to cook Kai restaurant at klong nin almost every day - travelled up from last beach.
Do not go to same same but different restaurant - awful!

filee777 Thu 22-Aug-13 19:29:18

We stayed on a wonderful beach, chalets right on the beach and every night they would have amazing seafood bbq's with the most enormous prawns i have ever seen, there is great scuba diving and snorkelling round there too, we really had a ball. Watermelon and apple smoothies all day and lots to do.

The sea was warm and deep very close to the beach, it was the most beautiful beach i have ever seen and definitely not crowded. You've made me all nostalgic now, we had my son the following summer but our tour round South East Asia was a bit like our pre-marriage honeymoon!

Annienonniemouse Thu 22-Aug-13 19:24:08

I went several years ago, so unlikely to be helpful for restaurants etc., but do remember that it had the most amazing sunsets I've ever seen... Have a lovely time!

bigTillyMint Thu 22-Aug-13 19:23:55

We went at Easter - it was so lovely and chilled. We stayed in the West of the island - nearer the top of the island, but can't remember what the beach was calledblush

Runoutofideas Thu 22-Aug-13 19:19:08

Thanks!

Ha ha - filee777 I'll remember to imagine that when we get there! With 2 children with us I doubt there'll be much 4am skinny dipping action, but I am ridiculously excited!

filee777 Thu 22-Aug-13 19:17:35

We went 3 and a bit years ago. It was heaven, pure heaven

just be wary of the wild dogs, we went skinny dipping in the sea at 4am in the morning and the dogs nicked (and buried) all our clothes! Watching my husband streak past a number of wooden chalets just as the sun was rising is not a sight i will forget quickly!

ridiculoussingle Thu 22-Aug-13 19:15:25

I went quite a few yrs ago while backpacking. It was very relaxed and not at all touristy. World's apart from ko phi phi. We lounged on the beach, snorkelled off the beach and hired mopeds to tour the island.
Sorry that's probably not very helpful, but so jealous of you going!

Runoutofideas Thu 22-Aug-13 19:12:21

We have been to Thailand a couple of times but not to Koh Lanta. Just wondered if anyone can recommend restaurants, things to do, trips etc. DDs will be 9 and 6 and we are staying on Klong Nin beach. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now