Oh dear going to Dahab Egypt next week, what would you do?

(12 Posts)
thelastplaceonearth Wed 14-Aug-13 22:17:54

Foreign Office is saying resorts are ok but I'm in two minds about going. Situation does not look good. Would welcome views - everything is paid so I doubt we'd get anything back if we cancelled.

specialsubject Thu 15-Aug-13 20:32:21

correct - no FCO ban, no refund.

in the past when there have been these problems, Dahab has been fine.

AtYourCervix Thu 15-Aug-13 20:35:59

I was in Sharm last week. Was all fine. A few extra police around at roadblocks but not noticable.

I have a friend in Sharm at the mo. Texted to say there's a nightime curfew on so no leaving the hotel.

thenightsky Thu 15-Aug-13 20:39:15

I was reading on the FO site last night that if your flight gets in late (after 7pm) you will be accommodated overnight in Sharm so as to abide by the curfew. You will be taken to your resort at Dahab the following morning.

I'm going to Marsa Alam in 4 weeks. Not too worried yet.

QOD Thu 15-Aug-13 20:41:22

Could you transfer as opposed to cancel? I'd not go personally

scurryfunge Thu 15-Aug-13 20:48:25

I've been to Sharm a couple of times during various incidents with no issues but this time it seems a bit riskier-Seek advice from operator/ foreign office and see what they advise.

thelastplaceonearth Thu 15-Aug-13 22:40:02

thanks for your posts, will see over the next couple of days but am inclined to stay here. QOD don't think we can transfer but will check.

Lukat Sat 17-Aug-13 00:27:28

We too are due to fly out next week, we booked with Thomson and I called them today and they don't appear to be worried.
I asked if I can transfer as I am so worried but they said basically as the FO have said its ok to travel to sharm, we wouldn't get any money back or be able to transfer holidays.
If the FO do say its unsafe we can then look at another holiday.... So basically we either go and risk it or lose 3 grand!!!! hmm

mummymeister Sat 17-Aug-13 12:30:39

the FO advice might be updated so keep an eye on it in case anything changes. not sure I would want to stay somewhere that had a 7pm curfew. I think this is all really going to kick off now across Egypt and really wouldnt want to go. worth going back to whoever you booked with and see if they might let you change. I bet Thompson and others will find a lot of families whose kids develop "chicken pox" and cant travel.

TwoStepsBeyond Sat 17-Aug-13 13:43:25

Don't know where Dahab is relation to the red sea resorts, but I went to Sharm a few weeks ago and there was no sign of any trouble there, except that some of the day trips were cancelled (didn't fancy 5 hours on a coach to go and see the pyramids anyway!)

The tourist areas are not really related to the rest of Egypt, there's nothing but several hundred miles of desert in between them and the main part of the country where all the unrest is. The fact that it has its own airport and the whole area is specifically built for tourism, the political protests don't really have any place in the Sinai resorts.

There were some military roadblocks on the outskirts towards the airport, but I don't know if these are a new thing or have been there a while. Reassuring nonetheless. I know some people thought we were mad to risk going somewhere with civil unrest, but when you've saved and looked forward to a holiday you need to make a balanced decision on whether its worth losing it, not a knee-jerk reaction.

If it were really a problem the FO wouldn't be saying it was OK to go, they (unlike the tour operators) don't have any vested interest in British citizens ending up in a war zone.

MariaLuna Sat 17-Aug-13 14:18:24

Just read earlier that tour operators are cancelling holidays to Egypt.

www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-23730016

TwoStepsBeyond Sat 17-Aug-13 14:29:20

But still only to the main part of Egypt, not Red Sea resorts.

"Travellers are especially being warned to avoid Cairo and the main tourist centres in Egypt, such as Luxor, Assuan and the Nile Delta.

Those staying in the resorts on the Red Sea, which are about an eight-hour drive from Cairo, could remain, as the situation there is still calm, the German foreign ministry said."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now