Carrying fresh milk on plane

(27 Posts)
justabigdisco Mon 05-Aug-13 07:45:54

Has anyone done this? I know that I'm allowed to take more than 100ml of fresh milk for my 1yo as long as I'm prepared to taste it. Just wondered what sort of container I should put it in though? We've got an evening flight to Dubai followed by overnight flight - so will need milk for evening and morning. How can I keep it fresh? The airline (emirates) have said they don't carry fresh milk.

NarkyNamechanger Mon 05-Aug-13 07:47:28

Just buy a pint in smiths or boots after security.

justabigdisco Mon 05-Aug-13 07:53:09

Yeah I thought of doing that - but my issue is with how to keep it fresh, we will need to carry it round for several hours.

Featherbag Mon 05-Aug-13 07:54:46

Either a flask or a cool-bag?

NarkyNamechanger Mon 05-Aug-13 07:57:54

Yeah as above. We always take a small bookbag / large insulated lunch box full of snacks etc for the journey.

justabigdisco Mon 05-Aug-13 07:59:03

Are they ok with that in addition to hand luggage then? I presume you can't take ice packs to go inside the cool bag.

NarkyNamechanger Mon 05-Aug-13 07:59:50

Not bookbag - coolbag

BebeBelge Mon 05-Aug-13 08:00:19

Every flight I have ever been on recently has had fresh milk. I flew Emirates last week and regularly asked the staff to fill all 3 dcs cups with milk and it wasn`t a problem. I wonder if someone gave you the wrong info? I did wonder if it was UHT milk but it tasted pretty good if it was and kids drank it no problem. HTH.

justabigdisco Mon 05-Aug-13 09:25:45

That's great - thanks everyone. I did wonder how they could say there is no milk on board and suspected that there would be, but didn't want to rely on it.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Mon 05-Aug-13 12:39:27

You could take the aptamil cartons or little bottles (other brands have similar) instead of fresh?

Crutchlow35 Australia Mon 05-Aug-13 13:56:13

Emirates will be able to put your pint of milk into one of their fridges.

justabigdisco Mon 05-Aug-13 14:23:44

Yep, UHT/ready made formula is my stand by. But oh, the fridge! Why didn't I think of that!

preggersbycheggers Mon 05-Aug-13 19:32:33

They may not be able to put them in fridges onboard.

On BA you cannot store any customer items in the chillers.

goodbyeyellowbrickroad Mon 05-Aug-13 19:36:00

How about freezing some milk and putting that in a insulated bag?

BreakfastCricket Mon 05-Aug-13 22:57:02

Child 13 years got a carton of semi skimmed milk ( likely third pint) from the refreshment trolley when others ordered coffee, tea, coke etc so I would be confident.

NoTimeLikeSnowTime Mon 05-Aug-13 22:58:16

They made me open my ready made formula in security. Thereby pretty much rendering it useless - as the also refused to let us carry any cool packs. Harrumph.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Mon 05-Aug-13 23:06:32

All of it, no? Last time I had to taste two out of four cartons. If you then tip the cartons into sterile bottles, they are still usable (to my mind, though not strictly in accordance with guidelines)

Or you can preorder from boots post security.

ceeveebee Mon 05-Aug-13 23:07:29

You can buy ready made formula after going through security, boots will let you preorder it if you are worried

I think a thermos flask should keep fresh milk cool for the duration of the flight without needing a cool bag. Or you can buy cool bags that go in the freezer - not sure if they would get through security as they presumably have liquid in them.

NoTimeLikeSnowTime Mon 05-Aug-13 23:15:51

Yes, we thought that we'd get one of them through but I think they made us open all 3. In a heatwave. With 6 hours of travelling before night time milk. And ice-packs were a definite no.

Boots pre-order sounds like the way to go (what you do at a smaller airport gawd only knows!).

Dollydowser Mon 05-Aug-13 23:19:44

We took a 2 litre bottle of goat's milk on board a flight to Orlando 5 years ago for our toddler. We said we had been told it was OK (even though we knew it wasn't), security made us open it and taste it and let us on with it.

Crutchlow35 Australia Tue 06-Aug-13 07:23:37

I disagree BA to Singapore allowed us to use their fridge.

justabigdisco Tue 06-Aug-13 09:28:18

Think what I'll do is get a pint of milk after security, hope that they let me take my cool bag, and ask whether I can use the fridge. Thanks for suggestions everyone. I'm also going to buy an insulated beaker for DD.

dontyouknow Wed 07-Aug-13 15:34:36

Thomas Cook wouldn't let us put any bottles in their fridge but they did give us a metal canister with ice in it for us to keep at our feet with the bottles in.

We've flown Emirates a few times with a young child and they have always been very helpful.

There are places like Starbucks at Dubai airport - would they sell milk?

Inthesleeplessnightgarden Wed 07-Aug-13 15:38:58

I've often asked Starbucks or pret a manger at heathrow to fill a sippy cup with milk for me. They dont normally charge eiher, even when I haven't bought coffee!

sergeantmajor Mon 12-Aug-13 11:19:16

This is how you do it.
You take pre-measured milk powder in little tupperwares.
You take separate baby bottles of water.
They you mix the two together just before feeding.
That way you don't worry about the milk going off, or about opening it and tasting it at security.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now