New York - Things not to miss?

(32 Posts)
Hulababy Sun 04-Aug-13 11:58:22

Thought I'd start three of these for the places we are visiting on holiday this summer. I'm keeping them separate as think it will be easier for me to work through any ideas suggested smile

We are going to NYC on the Wednesday and leaving on Saturday - so we will have 2 full days in NYC, and one late afternoon/evening.

Going is me, Dh and 11y DD - we all love cities.

So has anyone any ideas, recommendations, suggestions of what we should not miss?

TIA

We have been a couple of times before so just wondering about extra stuff really.

We have already done:

Empire State Building
Top of the Rock
Liberty and Ellis Islands
48 hour hop on/off bus
Duck Tour
Natural History Museum
Guggenheim
Metropolitan Museum of Art
Children's Museum

rubyrubyruby Sat 10-Aug-13 07:46:49

The Museum of Modern Art is free on a Friday between 4 and 7pm (sponsored by Uniqlo) The queue was long but moved fast.

Hulababy Mon 26-Aug-13 19:35:23

Loved NY just as much as before. Think it is my favourite city tbh.

Had one day where we walked lots - got Subway to katz's Deli but then walked back via battery Park, past the WTC area, to Flat iron Building, Times Square and finally the hotel near Central Park.

Second full day was more relaxed as we had a picnic in central park (bought everything from a food shop in the big towers on corner of central park) and then had a wander round there.

DD managed a fair bit of shopping in A&F, Hollister and Bloomingdales too smile

Hulababy Mon 26-Aug-13 19:36:05

Went in the MOMA sculpture garnden one morning, but didn't manage the MOMA itself - the queue was REALLY long and not fast moving unfortunately, so gave it up.

sweetestcup Mon 26-Aug-13 20:26:30

We have a day and a half in New York on our way to California, we leave Saturday, just planning how to get the most out of it now! smile

Hulababy Mon 26-Aug-13 20:28:46

Have a great time. So much to see and do in NY.

Our first visit we did the bus tour - got to see all the main sites easily that way and saved our feet!

MooseBeTimeForSnow Mon 26-Aug-13 20:34:04

The best thing about the ESB is that once your at the top, you can't see it. Am I the only one who was disappointed by how unfinished it looked on the inside?

I was also disappointed by the Mona Lisa. It's really small! If it hadn't been for the crowd of tourists round it I would have missed it. Probably a whole thread to be had on "great disappointments"

jen13ln Mon 28-Oct-13 04:41:25

thinking of going to ny with hubby on presidents day weekend (mid feb) in 2014. i know it seems quite aways but i know its gonna creep up on us if i don't start planning now.

i'm thinking of the must see-- the usual like statue of liberty, wall street (he's a big jim cramer type fan), broadway (i love musicals), empre state, ground zero, top of rock, etc. found this site: travelsavego.com and i'm thinking of doing the manhattan comprehensive tour to knock out the key tourist spots. it's our first time so i think this would be fun.

but i'm also interested in the not so obvious ones like the ones i see on tv -- trump tower, parson's and mood (i'm a big fan of project runway), mario batali's eataly...what do you think of these?

i would appreciate any feedback. thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now