Need car seats at brisbane airport.

(9 Posts)
Vagolajahooli Mon 15-Jul-13 19:24:58

MrRected that is very kind of you to offer but we are all sorted now. It makes it less of a sting if we only have one to hire.

Erato my 7 Year old is 25kg so a just below the weight that is required so I might do as MrRected suggests and buy a highbacked booster later from target. But unless they stop me and weigh him I don't think it will be a problem. I weighed him without shoes so maybe I could put some heavy shoes on him LOL. He is tall enough so it should be fine.

Erato Mon 15-Jul-13 13:41:57

And what Savoy said about no booster needed from 7 onwards applies in Qld as well.

MrRected Mon 15-Jul-13 13:41:09

I live near the airport. If you Pm me - I could loan you a high back booster - just a seatbelt restraint, rather than harness. Your seven year old doesn't legally require a seat but you could pick one up from target for $30. I could drop the high back booster at the airport.

Vagolajahooli Mon 15-Jul-13 13:35:44

Cheers guys, I have actually just been informed that my 7 year old doesn't need one by a friend over there. BeCool Australia doesn't even allow UK normal carseats (though have NL seats but the same as), it's actually really dumb, I'm Australian and we have terrible traffic accidents yet they still haven't allowed the isofix system which is by far the safest system in the world. Anyway I could go on. But having found out that I only need one car seat I might do as suggested I'll hire one, 63 EURO isn't as bad as 126 EURO but still take one boostApac, if I get to the car hire desk and they don't have one I'll either do the train into town or bung DS2 onto the boostApac and drive to the nearest shopping center.

Cheers for your help ladies.

Erato Mon 15-Jul-13 13:27:37

Worst case scenario, the train into central Brisbane is easy, reasonably cheap and fast. Put your bags in left luggage for a couple of hours, pop into Brisbane and get boosters from Target - the cheap ones are $49 each so with the train fares it will work out about the same as hiring them if the hire company don't have any. You won't get anything at the airport itself.

SavoyCabbage Mon 15-Jul-13 13:23:33

Only australian carseats are legal in Australia. which is a shame as they are shit

However people do use non australian carseats all the time.

In Victoria, seven year olds don't need any seat all all. And four year olds only need a booster cushion. If its the same in all states, you could bring a booster cushion, use it illegally, drive to a shop and buy carseats.

BeCool Mon 15-Jul-13 13:14:19

Just take your usual UK car seats? Airlines carry them for free. I've done this loads and its really not a hassle.

Drive to UK airport -DC in car seats.
Get car seats to check in desk in UK.
Pick them up with luggage at Brisbane.
Put into hire car.

Piece of cake.

thestringcheesemassacre Mon 15-Jul-13 13:14:01

For all the hassle I would just hire through the car hire place.
You'll be knackered off the plane and just want to exit as soon as possible.

Vagolajahooli Mon 15-Jul-13 13:10:48

Hellooo. I am flying solo with my DS's 7 & 4 this wednesday 17th to Brisbane. I thought we could use our Trunki boostApacs but have just discovered that they are not legal for use in Australia. My mum lives quite a way from Brisbane so she can't drop car seats off, I can hire with the car I am hiring but the car hire company doesn't guarantee availability (though I'm sure they would have them) and for the 3.5 weeks we are there is will cost 126 euro to hire two booster seats! I thought I would quickly look into other options before I confirm hire with the car hire company. For instance is there a shop that sells car seats at the airport, or a company that sells or hires car seats that would organise delivery to the airport. Much appreciate any advice.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now