Anyone taken a toddler to Tanzania?

(10 Posts)
Drladybird Thu 11-Jul-13 22:13:11

We're thinking of going so seeking general advice or experiences...
Thanks!

nannyafrica Fri 12-Jul-13 18:12:05

Where abouts are you thinking of going? I lived just outside of Arusha. Will it be for a holiday safari/beach? or are you moving there? I have friends there with toddlers and they love it.

Drladybird Sun 14-Jul-13 15:29:26

Hi there nanny. We're thinking of a 2 week holiday- heading to Selous and then Zanzibar...haven't had much encouragement from people around me so wondering if anyone has any experience to share!

nannyafrica Sun 14-Jul-13 18:57:15

Hi Drladybird, sadly due to the remote location of Selous I would say it would be unsuitable for a toddler. Its a bumpy road into the park most people fly in on small planes. If there was an emergency with you or the toddler you would have to wait for a plane to get you out. I have been there a few times once we saw loads of wildlife next we did not see much at all. Feels very remote. Are you looking for a quieter park not the mass crowds of Ngorongoro and Serengeti if so I would look at Tarangire (great for elephants) and Lake Manyara there near Arusha if medical treatment was needed. There are some nice camps in Trangire, Sanctuary Swal is amazing or if on a budget Tarangire Safari Lodge which has a children's and adult pools. There is a camp called Chem Chem Safari Lodge which is in between both the parks. You could then flight to Zanzibar. You will all need Yellow fever injections to go there.
Are you only looking at Tanzania for a safari?
Do you need a nanny to come with you smile!!!!!

Having been to Tanzania / Zanzibar pre dc, I wouldn't deem it suitable to take a child under 10 if including a safari. In fact the safari lodges don't even allow young children if I recall.
Namibia might be a possibility, much better roads and short game drives available.

RichManPoorManBeggarmanThief Sun 14-Jul-13 19:08:43

Selous is wonderful but I wouldnt go there with a toddler as it's not a "high hit" safari (you can drive a long time before you see anything), it's mainly fly in, fly out and most of the lodges don't take children anyway.

I'd query how much fun it would be to take a toddler on safari anyway tbh- hours of driving every day, very very early starts, etc.

nannyafrica Sun 14-Jul-13 19:29:29

I think it all depends on what kind of family you are, if outdoorsy, don't mind kids getting dirty! during the day (theres always a shower at the end of the day) I think you will love it. You must remember the heat and taking in fluids, mozzies bites etc. I have a friend that took 18 month twin girls to Tanzania for a month from New Zealand and they had a blast.They got a small paddling pool from the local supermarket and would keep it in the back of the vehicle, fill with alittle water in the shade to cool the kids down during the day.

Drladybird Sun 14-Jul-13 19:33:53

hmmm, thanks everyone. Food for thought! We're looking for a place to travel without internal plane journeys and so Selous was a good option that we could get to via train. There are some lodges that allow young children but I hear what you're saying about the safari....

nannyafrica Sun 14-Jul-13 19:57:33

Sometimes the train does not run, breakdown and runs late. There is one place to stay were the train stops but this is in the North west of the park not near the river.
If you want Africa I would look at maybe a beach stay in Mombasa Kenya and do a safari into Tsavo East (Satao Camp is an amazing camp and they take children, there are elephants at the waterhole right outside the tents some if driving around the park is to much you can view the wildlife from your tent!) We got married in Tsavo West we stayed at Severin Safari Lodge which is amazing and has a great swimming pool and spa!
We also stayed at the Severin Sea Lodge Mombasa (2 swimming pools) it is in North Mombasa as if you stay in the South you have to get a ferry were queues can be long.

RosieLig Mon 15-Jul-13 21:55:07

I hate to put a dampner but I really wouldn't with a 2 year old. We have been to Zanzibar and it's gorgeous but highly malarial. Why take the risk with such a young child? He/she will also get pretty bored on the game drives and you'll get lots of disapproving looks from other people!

Your little one will get so much more out of a safari if you wait until he's 5 or older. I'm speaking as a mum of 3 boys who loves adventurous travel. Sorry if it's not what you want to hear!

If you are dead set on safari then I'd so something in SA that's non malarial. Friends did similar and then had a week in Mauritius.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now