LON - NYC with 23 month old. Airline+timings advice.

(11 Posts)
TheDoctrineOfAllan Fri 02-Aug-13 00:44:11

See picture towards bottom of this page:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1051292-flying-baby-3.html

I don't think a 2 year old would stay in it when not asleep so they will be on your seat most of the time.

TheDoctrineOfAllan Fri 02-Aug-13 00:39:56

DS slept in the seat (a kind of large bouncer chair but with no bounce) at 19 odd months old but you may be unlucky and he doesn't fit, or you don't get the bulkhead seat as a family with a bassinet baby get it.

Personally I'd consider going somewhere else if you haven't booked yet!

dldl Sun 28-Jul-13 21:48:36

We haven't booked our holiday....life just got busy and we needed to reassess dates.

How long does the trip need to be to justify travelling transatlantic with a 23 month old?! Cannot come home from the holiday feeling like I need another one as this will be our last one for a while!

No unfortunately can't afford to pay for a seat for him which is why we were thinking of fitting in a quick holiday before he turns 2!

dldl Wed 10-Jul-13 09:02:27

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies.
Now to sort out accommodation!!

Radiator1234 Fri 05-Jul-13 19:07:30

Just a point on the
Britain seat things on BA... You can't guarantee you will get one. We went to America when DD was 11 months. On the way there we didn't even have a bulk head (wasn't possible to reserve one, then on the day despite checking in early no seats left, despite no one at the bulk head having any children ( or apparent special needs). Really annoying.

On the way home we ha a bulk head.... Then they didn't have any of those Britax seats on the plane. Only cots (think Moses basket size). Hideous flight!!

I was so annoyed as that was the only reason I'd booked with BA - as they have that seat that goes up to 2 years (or whatever it is). I wrote and complained may as well not have bothered as I just got a standard fob off response.

On the flip side, if you do get the Britax seat I am sure it will be a pleasant affair!

lemonpoppyseed Thu 04-Jul-13 13:09:36

I regularly fly Toronto - London with my DS, and we always take the day flight. Up early at the Canadian end, then a nice long nap on the plane, then you arrive at Heathrow at 9pm, tired and ready for bed. It really helps minimize jet lag, and if your DC doesn't sleep it doesn't really matter (unlike the overnight flights where you feel horribly guilty if they're keeping everyone else awake).

I would also look at flying into Newark rather than JFK.

BA should provide an infact seat. Bassinets are mainly designed for newborns. If finances allow I'd pay for a seat.

Travelling first thing in the morning can be hard going, also many of the flights to the East Coast do not actually set off until lunchtime/early afternoon. Also earlier flights can cost more.

I would fly back overnight then you get more time to spend in NYC on your last day.

SavoyCabbage Thu 04-Jul-13 12:27:13

We got a cardboard box from BA when we went to NY. For the baby I mean. Her legs stuck out.

Greywacke Thu 04-Jul-13 12:17:55

I would pay for a seat to be honest. We have done two long haul flights with BA and my DS. The last one was at 18 months and he needed a seat. It really made our lives so much easier. He played with his cars on the tray table and watched cbeebies.

We flew when he was 10 months and he went in the seat.

Most recently when we flew we left at 11 and did a red eye back.

dldl Thu 04-Jul-13 11:48:40

Thinking of planning a holiday. It will be the longest flight we have done with our little one. And as you can see we want to take advantage cost wise in view of age.

Looking at the different airlines. It seems BA offer an infant seat made by Britax that can be used up to age 2 and/or 13kg. Does anyone know if any other airlines offer this or do they all just offer standard bassinets?

In terms of timing the flight. For logistical reasons, we will need to travel first thing in the morning on our outward journey. On our return however, I am wondering whether it is better to take a day flight and spend most the day on the plane and to bed at night when we get home, or to fly back overnight which means that you leave NYC at 6pm and get to LON at 6am (and then somehow struggle through the day at work!). What will be better for our little one in terms of jetlag and adjusting timewise?

Advice please?! Thanks so much in advance.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now