Mad dogs and englishwomen heading to death valley

(22 Posts)

Well we survived!

It was hot. But we made it. Arrived late afternoon and it was HOT. Blast furnace hot. But we were jet lagged and exhausted so didn't even make dinner. Were all asleep by 7. Up early next morning and in the car before 7 and did the sights we wanted to see. We even had a picnic under the trees at Scottys castle. Back to hotel by 3ish. Early dinner and that time of day was hot. Very hot.

Up early again in the morning for drive to Sequoia. And as we left we even looked back at big black clouds and had a few drops of rain!

After ten years in Asia and more in Central Europe I am used to sleeping in air con so that's not an issue.

Laundry less of an issue as we will only be on day 2! But worth doing a load I suppose.

This will be an experience I suppose. Not one we might wish to repeat but an experience nonetheless.

Meglet Mon 01-Jul-13 20:47:17

When I visited Furnace Creek they didn't open the pool until after the sun went down as it wasn't safe for that much bare skin to be exposed in daylight. No amount of sun cream would protect skin in that sun.

I refused to sleep with the air con on though. Quick blast to chill the room then it went off or I was freezing. Very good for drying a load of laundry in DV as well, you literally put it on the balcony in the sun then pop back 15 mins later and it's dry.

zanz1bar Mon 01-Jul-13 19:02:05

yikes

specialsubject Mon 01-Jul-13 18:42:55

52 degrees centigrade in Death Valley today.

Crutchlow35 Mon 01-Jul-13 13:51:36

In Australia you cannot buy anything over factor 15, they recommend reapplying frequently and I think Australians know a thing or two about not burning.

This is rubbish. Yes you can buy over factor 15 in Australia. Everywhere and in huge quantities.

Having spent time in Northern WA when temperatures have been in the 50's, I fully agree with lots and lots of suncream, loose clothing and a hat. Lots of water too. You won't be outside much. it can be very difficult to breathe properly in those temperatures!

specialsubject Mon 01-Jul-13 10:14:19

you might consider Scotty's Castle, but it is a 100-mile round trip from Furnace Creek.

make sure you stay on the tarmac (if it hasn't melted...) and don't blindly follow satnavs. This has also killed people.

Don't worry Atilla - we will not be wandering about! I tend to get very grumpy in the heat so will put my foot down!

We are driving to DV on Friday and are planning a night drive to Zabriskies Point to see the stars but will take advice on that when we get there. Other than that I can see us just seeing the hotel and visitors centre! We will definitely be taking advice from park rangers and won't be walking/hiking. We leave early Sunday to drive to Sequoia.

We have lived in Asia and Central Europe so are not unused to heat and know the dangers.

Las Vegas is going to be in the 110s this week. Its a dry fierce heat which is unrelenting. (People are suffering burns from scalding pavements and concrete). The park rangers were telling people not to hike the Lake Mead trails this past weekend due to the temperatures. People die in such fierce heat.

Your DH may be determined still to go but I would not go to Death Valley at this time. I would certainly seek advice from any park rangers before you set out and heed their instructions to the letter.

Meglet Sun 30-Jun-13 12:32:52

We stayed at Furnace Creek ranch in 2000, it was 124 degrees. If the shop is still there it's air conditioned and a refuge from the heat.

Even with a t-shirt on I could feel the sun starting to burn through it after 10 mins or so. Sightseeing was done in quick bursts, the salt lake is beautiful.

I'd love to go again though. Blue skies as far as you can see.

specialsubject Sun 30-Jun-13 11:58:14

don't forget water for the car, food etc, and maybe even a satellite phone.

if you break down STAY WITH THE CAR. People who don't usually die.

DH is determined to go. We are not going till Friday so hopefully temps will have dropped a little. Will decide for sure once we get to Las Vegas I think. We fly on Thursday.

If we do go we will have loads of water and rehydration solution. Will not be walking around. Will stick to route from Vegas to furnace creek and take it from there.

We have lived in hot countries so are not unused to the heat but nothing like this obviously.

MorrisZapp Sun 30-Jun-13 11:42:51

Yup, it's been on the news. Don't go. The temperatures are high fifties.

We didn't go in the deepest darkest areas and was November but second the advice about supplies. You cannot believe how many miles you can go there wiyhout seeing another living soul. We went hours and even dh admitted he was cacking himself by the time we finally found civilisation!

specialsubject Sun 30-Jun-13 11:36:45

Death Valley was on the news last night.

change your plans.

Take far more water than you think you'll need and also take spare petrol. People die out there quite regularly because they run out of gas and can't get to a petrol station.

kelly14 Sun 30-Jun-13 04:26:29

Coming from someone who has lived in Australia I can say that is absolutely a load of rubbish!!!
Australia are absolutely massive on sun protection !!! Slip slap slop campaign was huge years ago and still goes today!
Everyone takes sun protection very seriously and of course you Most certainly CAN buy over a factor 15 at any shop where you would normally sunscreen!! For example target!!! Most people living here use at least a factor 30 and I would always you a 50.
http://shop.target.com.au/body-beauty/sun-protection-tanning?viewType=grid&sortBy=latest&maxItemsPerPage=12&pageFrom=1

Higher the SPF the less that harmful sun rays get through to penetrate the skin and this is very much needed in oz where very little ozone layer.

sashh Sun 30-Jun-13 02:48:48

You are brave, the recorded temperature there at the moment is creeping up to the highest ever recorded.

In Australia you cannot buy anything over factor 15, they recommend reapplying frequently and I think Australians know a thing or two about not burning.

specialsubject Sat 29-Jun-13 20:29:57

sun strength is NOTHING to do with temperature. Time of year, latitude and altitude are much more important.

Death Valley is quite low in places, although as even Badwater is only 86m below sea level you won't get much extra atmospheric protection.

Western USA currently having a heatwave. Make sure you have plenty of water in the car and heed the warnings about walking - tourists who didn't have died.

rather you than me if you are going in the next three months...very memorable scenic spot though, but I went in November!

Not entirely sure I will be out in the heat much! We are planning a trip to Target before heading to Death Valley and will stock up there. I usually buy Aveeno.

Main thing will be to apply before heading out and drink lots of fluids. I saw 4 litres a day mentioned on DV website.

NotMoreFootball Sat 29-Jun-13 16:29:50

I live in a part of the US where the temperature regularly tops 100 degrees and we all use Coppertone Spray on Factor 50. My husband and son are VERY fair skinned and this has got them through years without sunburn!

zanz1bar Sat 29-Jun-13 10:20:49

HELP! Any tips, any advice, any good factor 90 out there.
My legs haven't even seen daylight yet this year.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now