Best museums/attractions in NYC with kids?

(21 Posts)
Sally14 Mon 29-Jul-13 07:27:48

Hi. I'm currently backpacking around the USA with my three year old daughter, we did New York last month for a week. I reviewed everything we did on my blog - Sally & Faye in the USA - http://sallyhutchinson1.wordpress.com/ - hope it helps!

AllTalkNo Sun 21-Jul-13 23:04:04

Thanks, perhaps we won't bother with Battery Park then. I'm still seeking low cost fun stuff to do with he children, if anyone has any more tips? I could spend all 4 days shopping but DH and my youngest wouldn't be very impressed.

Manchesterhistorygirl Sun 21-Jul-13 15:38:52

Battery Park is currently under going a lot of renovation work, is as a lace to hangout it's not so good, but the Statue of Liberty has reopened.

It was very hot whilst we were there and humid.

Planning on going again. It's still my favourite place ever,

Would take the subway train down to the Battery Park area; its a heck of a long walk. Alternatively you could take a taxi.

AllTalkNo Sat 20-Jul-13 18:51:10

Hi, we are off to NY soon for the first time with pre-teen DCs, staying in midtown near Macy's ans Empire State. Is it possible and safe to walk to the tip of Manhatten or would it be better to get a cab? It's going to be hot so don't want to over-do it in the heat. Any tips for child-friendly attractions near where we're staying much appreciated too.

LindaDonahue Fri 19-Jul-13 13:40:18

Have you heard of the Discovery Exhibits in Times Square? It's not the most famous New York attraction but it should be. It has something for everyone. Here are their current exhibits and special upcoming events (though I don’t think they have any special events lined up yet): discoverytsx

dinkystinky Tue 02-Jul-13 07:59:32

Down by the pier (where there are fountains the kids can run through) there's a fab museum on an aircraft carrier - we and our kids loved it! Loads of aircraft on there and a submarine you can go in.

My kids also loved central park, esp the zoo, and MOMA.

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 02-Jul-13 07:50:02

Is the forecast for the end of the week right? Hot and humid?

CoolStoryBro Tue 02-Jul-13 01:10:53

Have you been yet?! If you're here now, welcome to Crappy Weather Central!! I don't know what's going on with our summer this year.

Anyway, if you want to try something a little off the beaten trail, go to the Museum of the Moving Image in Astoria, Queens. It is, quite literally, awesome for kids. Very hands on, and finishes in an old fashioned amusement arcade. Also try South St Seaport.

I have to disagree with the Met not being child friendly. We have been several times and never had a problem with our gang.

Manchesterhistorygirl Mon 01-Jul-13 08:15:25

We've still not done the high line and won't have time this time! confused Next time.

We're off to Hoboken this time to visit Carlo's Bakery of cake boss fame!

carlajean Sun 30-Jun-13 14:37:32

I didn't mention the High Line as I want to keep it for myself (and keep children off it), it's my favorite bit of New York.

EATmum Sun 30-Jun-13 09:58:00

We had an amazing trip with our DC recently. Central Park was just lovely (sure we spent some of most days there), and would second Dylan's Candy Bar and FAO Schwarz. One regret was not getting round to doing the Highline - that looked amazing.
Our best decision was to stay on a boat on the Hudson for a few nights - the Yankee Ferry. Amazing experience, with a large family room we all fitted in. Mad as a box of frogs, but such fun.

MrsBartlet Sun 30-Jun-13 09:14:03

We have just come back from New York (although with older children 16 & 12) but I second the Staten Island Ferry and Top of the Rock. Also you should take them to FAO Schwarz (like the Hamleys of NYC) and Dylans Candy Bar, a massive sweet shop set over 3 floors - my 12 year old loved it.

Our hotel was a block away from Times Square and I loved it! I didn't expect to but thought it looked brilliant at night with all the lights.

EldonAve Wed 26-Jun-13 21:10:36

Thanks. Top of the Rock looks interesting as does the Children's Museum

I think we have been to the Met before & they were not child friendly!

I will bear in mind the heat/humidity. Tickets are already booked & NYC is my escape from visiting the inlaws who are in upstate NY!

mrsmortis Wed 26-Jun-13 10:22:41

Definitely the Staten Island Ferry (as well as there being a lot to see and it being cheaper than a tourist boat it should be relatively cool). I love the Met but I think it'd be a bit much for such young kids. The Bronx Zoo is definitely worth a visit.

carlajean Tue 25-Jun-13 22:12:44

We've just come back from 5 days there and I though Times Square was fucking awful. Full of tourists wandering around like stunned cattle. Will def being going back to NY but NEVER to Times Square.

Manchesterhistorygirl Tue 25-Jun-13 22:09:07

Toys r us in Times Square has a big wheel that has enormous little trikes cars on it. Ds1 loved it.

The carousel in Central Park is nice too.

It is going to be hot though and humid. We go next week and have been before in July and it was ludicrously hot and sticky. Carry plenty of water and plan to do half what you intended.

I second top of the rock, it's brilliant, we went at sundown which was magical.

carlajean Tue 25-Jun-13 22:06:05

sorry to be a pain, but are you sure any of you want to be there in the Summer? I love New York, but, IMO, the crowds and the heat/humidity would make it unbearable in the Summer.
Having said that, my suggestion would be the Staten Island Ferry and hiring a bike to cycle round Manhatten Island.

EldonAve Sun 23-Jun-13 20:18:13

Thank you

fuckwittery Sun 23-Jun-13 13:08:35

Top of the rock, less crowded than empire state. Last year had very cool room at the top with glass panels on the floor, wall and ceilings which lit up according to the movements and sounds of the people in the room.

Childrens museum of manhattan is brilliant maybe more for your ypunger ones but your eldest would love the body exhibits on the ground floor, an interactive giant digestion system being ny favourite, have great pic of 6 yr old dd climbing out the poo hole grin

Intrepid sea air and space museum on the aircraft carrier on the hudson is v cool

EldonAve Sun 23-Jun-13 13:01:32

I will probably have a couple of days in NYC over the summer
3 kids, 8, 6 & 3y & me
We have done the Natural History Museum before & I am hoping to visit the Bronx Zoo

Any other recommendations?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now