Where can I get some sun this Christmas? Caribbean? Egypt? Which islands or resorts are really child friendly?

(17 Posts)
IsaacCox Mon 24-Jun-13 07:39:31

We actually booked it through first choice (you still fly with thomson) as it was a little cheaper and you pay less of a deposit (though both prices have gone up a little since we booked) here Plus on first choice there's a promo code for £100 off- 37402 (it does say on selected holidays but it's worth a try)

Sorry for the hijack OP!

IsaacCox Mon 24-Jun-13 07:33:07

Haha monkey, it's a bargain isn't it. I spent weeks trying to find a great deal and that was the best one.

Hulababy Sun 23-Jun-13 18:13:25

We went to Fuerteventura last February and it was lovely and warm - shorts and t shirt weather, DD and DH in he pool, me sunbathing, drinks on the beach, etc...

OMG IssacCox, just priced up a week there in Jan for a family of 4 for less than 3k!
See you there!

TinaSurrey Sun 23-Jun-13 18:06:00

Dubai is 7 hour flight away. Emirates economy is v good. They have superb hotels which have apartments instead of just one bedroom. Look at Oasis Beach Tower or Grosvenor House for 2,3 or 4 bed apartments with all the facilities of a 5 star hotel. There are many others in Dubai too. These are just the ones I have stayed in (many times as we simply cannot beat it for family holiday).

Temperatures perfect for you. No "drink related" behaviour and nowhere have I felt so safe. Spotlessly clean, very very high standards, none of the sickness bug horrors that hang over Egypt.

IsaacCox Sun 23-Jun-13 13:54:25

We're going to Cape Verde for New year, staying here. It should hopefully be 26c. This is what it says is there for kids-

For Families
2 children's pools
Playground
RiuLand kids' club, 4-7 and 8-12 years
RiuArt Atellier

MaryKatharine Sat 15-Jun-13 23:14:30

hersetta, thanks for the HV tip but unfortunately they don't do rooms big enough to accommodate a family of 6 or even a family of 5! All their rooms are a maximum of 2adults and 2kids and the kids are too little for us to book 2rooms not to mention the cost. But I will look at the Sensatori one, thanks.

Hersetta Thu 13-Jun-13 12:40:20

With children of your ages I really reccommend the Holiday Village in Egypt or the the Sensitori Sharm, both have brilliant kids facilities. We've been to the HV twice at Christmas and my DD how has 2.5 and then 3.5 had an absolute ball.

MaryKatharine Mon 10-Jun-13 14:21:41

Thank you, mummymeister and fluffy. Yes, I think it's looking a little costly. I haven't even considered a cruise. Tbh, I'm not sure it would suit us but I'll keep an open mind and have a look. Isn't it a bit risky with a 2yr old? He's an obsessive climber so is it safe? I have no idea so will need to look. Thanks for the ideas though as I'm getting a bit stuck.

Fluffy1234 Sun 09-Jun-13 20:09:06

Almond Smugglers Cove in St Lucia is a nice family friendly resort. We also enjoyed Playa Costa Verde in Cuba as a family. I've taken my children to the Caribbean and always found the hotels family friendly. At Christmas though I think the price for a large family would be very high.
I havent been myself but the Sensatori resort in Mexico looks very good.
I agree with mummymeister if you are after good clubs for the children then a cruise would be hard to beat. There are so many activities for the whole family to do together or separately.

mummymeister Sun 09-Jun-13 16:20:06

What about a cruise?

MaryKatharine Sun 09-Jun-13 15:11:40

Thanks, Sorrell but I don't think I could cope with the flight with a 2yr old. Especially for just 1wk.

Just had a look at Caribbean. All seemed very adult orientated with spas etc. I'm not looking for luxury. Just very child centred, with clean rooms, good food and lots to keep them all entertained.

SorrelForbes Sun 09-Jun-13 14:57:34

If you don't mind a long flight, then what about Hawaii?

MaryKatharine Sun 09-Jun-13 14:56:49

Sorry, I did type Coconutty but the bloody iPad corrected me!

MaryKatharine Sun 09-Jun-13 14:56:05

Thanks, coconuts! From what I have read, the Canaries average about 19 in December so not as hot as I'd like. Also, it seems that December is the wettest month in the canaries so think that rules them out.
Yes, it's looking like the Caribbean is going to be out of our price range when we cost of for 6 of us. Prices are coming back around 15k!

I will look at Egypt! Thanks

Coconutty Costa Rica Sun 09-Jun-13 14:26:28

Egypt will be warm enough for swimming but you will need a heated pool ideally. Caribbean will be too but is usually £££s at Christmas.

Cape Verde should be okay too and the canaries. All canaries are child friendly really, I like Gran Canaria or Fuerteventura best though.

Not Cyprus or Spain that time of year. Probably would say that Sharm would be best value for guaranteed sunshine.

MaryKatharine Sun 09-Jun-13 14:17:57

We're looking to go away this Christmas. We've been away at Christmas before but to either Lapland or NY so never a sun holiday. If we're going to do it I'd rather it was warm enough to be in and out the pool rather than shorts and tshirt weather if that makes sense. So mid 20s+

We have four kids who will be 10, 8, 5 and 2. It really has to be fairly child orientated rather than just accepting of kids so good clubs for all their ages are a must. I really have no idea where to start so if you lot could help with ideas and inspiration I'd be most grateful smile oh and obviously if we can keep the cost down to less that a small family car that would be super! Thanks! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now