Malaysia

(22 Posts)
AndrewD Sun 19-May-13 22:26:02

Would love to hear of any recommendations for 3 adults and 3 kids (7-9yrs) for beach holiday whilst traveling from Singapore to KL. Either simple but good quality beach huts or decent resorts.

Thanks!

A

specialsubject Sun 19-May-13 22:35:20

depends on the time of year - you need to avoid the coast with the monsoon, and it switches.

AndrewD Mon 20-May-13 07:54:03

Sorry, should have specified - August.

GoodbyePorkPie Mon 20-May-13 19:34:51

We stayed at Langkawi Beach a few years ago, that was pre children but I imagine it would be ok for young kids as the beach is very calm and the shallows go some way out. And it's not a party destination, just lovely and quiet. Lots of fantastic day trips to islands etc. There is a range of accommodation there.

Not sure how you'll be getting around but the 'luxury' buses throughout the country are brilliant, huge reclining seats and very cheap.

Lemonytrees Mon 20-May-13 20:05:25

I love Malaysia and agree Langkawi is really lovely and great for kids. Lots of different places to stay and beaches and jungle are amazing I've been to Penang (pre dc) and that would probably be fine too. We want to go to Borneo next.

AndrewD Mon 20-May-13 21:09:24

That's great. Thank you. I'm googling it now.

A

SarahJinx Mon 20-May-13 21:17:35

We stayed at Shangri La Rasa Sayang in Penang, glorious glorious.

southchinasea Sun 26-May-13 17:53:01

Tiger rock on pangkor island? Or bon ton resort on langkawi?

swlmum Tue 28-May-13 19:18:25

We love tanjung rhu on Langkawi. Been pre kids and post kids. The Andaman is good too.

Isthiscorrect Wed 29-May-13 03:31:49

Do Bon Ton take children? I didn't think they did, but you would need to check. It's not cheap but the food is fab.smile

We stayed in Langkawi, and went on a boat trip from the Royal Yacht club. The woman was mad but the trip was huge fun.

MasterOfTheYoniverse Wed 29-May-13 05:53:12

We love Langkawi but always stayed in a very high end resort where they gave us a special rate for Malay/Singapore residents. Find most good places quite pricey, but well worth the money if you want to splurge.

Really worth considering and more affordable are the following. They are kind of back to basics but all small idyllic islands, and full of boho chic singapore expats. garanteed to find good company for the kids. great diving too.

the perenthian Islands (Tioman, Redang). check reviws on tripadvisor.
Divers Paradise and a short flight from Singapore or 3 hour drive into Malaysia ( a great way to see the lush nature, pineapple plantations etc…..). Safe drive with taxi drivers from Singapore (about $350 for an air conditioned mini van - safe drive) + ferry from Mersing.

Sibu? see Rimba resort, not been but heard good things.

There is this very popular little island just 25mn boat ride from Mersing which is super popular with singapre expats. On the tip on my tongue, but cant remember the name!!!!
Try the living overseas forum and fing one of the many singapore threads, someone might help?

you can also fly very easily into phuket or Krabi and go on to so many good resorts. Then catch a fly back into KL.
try jetstar / silk air / bangkok airways / air asia & tiger airways for cheap connections. (you can book one leg only for each trip)

HTH

MasterOfTheYoniverse Wed 29-May-13 05:56:11

Just wanted to add, beware of the moonson. Summer is always better on the eastern coast.

Acinonyx Fri 07-Jun-13 14:00:28

Making a note of the beach places. We are looking into going Xmas/Jan. Any recommendations for nature & wildlife for 2 adults and 7 yr-old - not too intrepid - not too much trekking! We'll be flying into Singapore (dh's work trip).

I've read very mixed reports about the Orangutan parks on the Kuching side - anyone got experience of those?

harryhausen Fri 07-Jun-13 14:13:39

Langkowi or Pankor Island.

MOSagain Fri 07-Jun-13 18:40:04

We stayed at berjaha (sp)? Beach resort in langkawi with 4 kids aged 4 months to 16 years and it was fabulous

Langkawi is in monsoon in August. You want something on the north easy coast. Look at some of the gorgeous islands

suburbophobe Fri 07-Jun-13 18:55:14

Tioman, ferry (1+1/2 hours)from Mersing which is about 3 hours from Singapore by bus. East Coast.

Stay in Salang or ABC or book a hotel. They even have the super luxury Chateau and Relais there.(somewhere).

The other side of the island is good too. Even more laid back and remote.

Master, I didn't think Tioman is part of the Perhentians but could be mistaken.

Langkawi is great too. I stayed in two places over Easter.
I stayed in Cenang and with the lovely Noor at Ocean Garden outside Kuah

GoodbyePorkPie Fri 07-Jun-13 19:38:46

Acinonyx

I've been to Kuching and also visited an Orangutan sanctuary just outside the city. I don't know about the others but this one was a bona fide sanctuary and the most famous one there. Can't remember the name though.

I did a two night trip upriver to a longhouse there, it was fantastic. It's a couple of hours in a 4WD, then a couple of hours upriver. There is a trek of about 2-3 hours on the second day but it's optional. Really cool experience and not TOO gritty for a seven year old, depending on yours of course.

cat Fri 07-Jun-13 19:41:50

Kuantan is a beautiful beach resort

Acinonyx Sat 08-Jun-13 10:46:32

Thanks - that sounds very doable.

FALSEdichotomy Mon 01-Jul-13 14:28:20

I second the rasa sayang in Penagn.

singaporeswing Mon 08-Jul-13 11:07:52

Master is it Batu Batu that you're thinking of?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now