Holiday to Mexico when 18 weeks pregnant

(13 Posts)
Caggs2577 Tue 14-May-13 14:14:54

Hello

I am thinking of booking my last child free holiday all inclusive to a 5* hotel in mexico, Cancun. I will be 18 weeks pregnant by then. I am a little worried about flight time and also if it will be safe and whether I need any vaccinations?
I haven't had any problems (currently 13 weeks) just a bit of sickness.
Has anyone been away to mexico or similar and what are their experiences or comments? (I have been to this hotel about 5 times and everything has been fab)
Thank you so much.

mummymeister Tue 14-May-13 20:36:04

Wow its going to be hot whilst you are out there. are you good with hot weather. as you get bigger you might find it more of a struggle (swollen feet etc) just depends on you but might want to consider being a bit closer to home if it is an issue. Look [http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/destinations/mexico.htm here] for advice on things like malaria etc. also suggest you have a chat with midwife as it is a long way to be if this is your first DC. good luck

I went to lazarote at 31 weeks and that wasn't too bad although very hot and our hotel was at top of the hill! But I came home and gave birth a week later!! Flights should be fine but try and book a bulk head seat (by the toilets) so you got the extra leg room to stand up and move often and treat the holiday as a nice relax and nothing more and you should be fine

Oh ans get good travel insurance cover

Fuckwittery Wed 15-May-13 08:15:58

i went to bali and australia at 24 -28 weeks and was fine on the plane and with the heat. second trimester is a good time to travel.

Fuckwittery Wed 15-May-13 08:17:36

oh and i would definitely recommend pushing the boat out to get one last amazing child free holiday in! we have 3rd dc on the way now and cant imagine doing a trip like that again for about 10 years!

BabyRuSh Wed 15-May-13 08:23:01

I went to Mexico at 29w. The weather was the most difficult bit. Jut be sure to drink lots on the flight and use flight socks. Have fun!

GoodbyePorkPie Wed 15-May-13 15:49:47

Cancun is very developed with good hospitals and there is no risk of malaria. The only issue might be the heat, make sure your hotel has good air conditioning.

Caggs2577 Wed 05-Jun-13 22:36:06

Thank you so much to everyone for their messages and help. I suppose because this is my first pregnancy I was a bit worried but you have all made me feel so much better

We have now booked our holiday and I'm looking forward to it loads now!
Thank you xx

Waswondering Wed 05-Jun-13 22:39:38

I went to Cuba at 19w pg. I had a text in spanish saved on my phone saying I was 19 weeks, 2nd pg, no previous problems. All was well. Ds was a cute toddler and adored. Weather was lovely (January). It was a good week.

SexAndDrugsAndSausageRolls Wed 05-Jun-13 22:50:52

I flew to Miami and went on a Caribbean cruise at 18/19 weeks. Was fabulous...pure relaxation and luxury. I found I had to seek out shade more often than I normally would as I'm usually a sun worshipper but I felt fine to do lots of walking around the ports etc.

Lots if frozen non-alcoholic cocktails helped with keeping cool too. After a few days, the waiters by the pool didn't even ask if I wanted a drink, they just delivered me an endless supply of alcohol free piña coladas to my sunlounger grin

No risk of malaria. Definite risk of Dengue fever, especially inland. Don't stint on the mosquito repellent.

Mamab33 Wed 05-Jun-13 23:03:17

Sounds amazing Caggs 2577.

What hotel? If you don't mind me asking. Looking to get away on a last minute deal.

Hope the heat doesn't cause any difficulty and you have an amazing time! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now