Flying to Singapore with DD (20 mnths) what do I need to consider

(13 Posts)
ktt5378 Sun 05-May-13 08:01:01

Hi i'm going to visit friends in Singapore in October. Just about to book flights but have not flown with my DD yet. What do I need to consider taking? Think about before I book?

SavoyCabbage Sun 05-May-13 08:29:19

I took a sling on the flight so dd could sleep. I hadn't used one before but it was invaluable.

Wipes, change of clothes each, snacks.

I took cows milk and the airline put it in their fridge.

nextphase Sun 05-May-13 08:42:04

how much spare money do you have? Could you afford a seat for DD? Invaluable for us travelling with a 22 mth and nearly 4 yr old.

I second hiring a sling from your local sling library - we took one to HK, and both kids were carried in it. There are less pushchairs and more slings in HK (tho noticeably more pushchairs this time than 5 years ago). They also slept in in during the day and on the plane.

What kit will you need in Singapore? Anything you can borrow (travel cot, car seat - tho check what the rules are like, they just don't use them in HK)

You can buy things over there - we took one pack of nappies, and bought more nappies and wipes over there.

Ask for help - the cabin crew were really helpful. And there is always food / drink about, Ask if there is something specific you'd like and see what they can do - they produced a spare First Class fruit salad when DS1 stropped about breakfast, and I asked if they had any fruit.

Take boiled sweets (even if they don't normally eat them) or a drink in a bottle for take off, and landing.

Take calopl sachets with you on the plane - there is nothing worse than a teething toddler, and nothing you can do about it for 24 hrs.....

Enjoy it!

PoppyWearer Sun 05-May-13 08:45:00

Definitely a change of clothes each! Even if you don't have to deal with a vomiting incident, eating in that environment is inevitably messy!

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Sun 05-May-13 08:53:27

Box of tricks for plane, stickers, toddler magazine, colouring pencils, ipad(?) in uninflated balloon in handbag for airport delay.
Presuming DD will be on your lap all the way. You may want some snacks for yourself invade you can't eat the airport food easily.

Please don't give a 20 month old ANY boiled sweets. The last thing you want to deal with (especially on a plane) is a choking child...... Good snacks are rice cakes, raisins etc. cabin crew will always be able to produce fruit or other snacks. Make sure you have ordered a child's meal for the flight, normally pasta etc and generally not bad. The toy rental company in singapore will be able to rent you car seat, high chair, travel cot, toys etc

Roshbegosh Sun 05-May-13 09:03:36

Calpol is a great idea. Less than 100ml bottle of course. Hope the travelling is ok for you DC and all the other passengers,

Where will you fly from?. Make yourself aware of the airport's layout in advance.

I presume your DD also has a passport. If you can pay for a seat for her do so.

Would take along a change of clothes for you both along with what she likes to eat foodwise for the flight. It may be an idea also to change her nappy before boarding. Many airlines too also let parents with babies or young children board earlier.

Do not rely on the airline to fully provide here. Aeroplane food is not great even at the best of times for adults let alone young children.

Do not take boiled sweets, these can constitute a choking hazard.

Calpol sachets along with a syringe to administer any medicine is a good idea.

Singapore Airlines is not bad overall and they have A380s in their fleet.

nextphase Sun 05-May-13 09:51:46

OK, delete the sweets from my suggestions - take a sports bottle to fill once past security, so they can suck on something to clear her ears.

calpol sachets are pre measured, and under 100ml

BNmum Sun 05-May-13 10:05:14

If you can't afford an extra seat see if you can book a bulkhead seat where the cabin crew will set up a carseat type chair for DDs snooze or when she just might want to have a bit of space. DS was 20months when we flew to the US and we found this great.

I also took a portable DVD player, tonnes of snacks, milky buttons for take off and landing, stickers, little presents for him to unwrap (toy tractor, toy car, few farm animals, schleich dinosaurs etc).

We now have an iPad which is amazing at keeping him entertained but he is a little older too.

Will you need jabs?

Roshbegosh Sun 05-May-13 10:07:20

Am I misunderstanding this? Surely she has her own seat at 22mths for such a long flight! If not then bloody hell!

SavoyCabbage Sun 05-May-13 10:20:40

You don't have to pay for a seat until they are two so if you don't get them a seat, they sit on your knee.

I hate the bulkhead.

HollyMadison Sun 05-May-13 10:21:56

Book night flight out of uk so she hopefully sleeps most of the way. Y to sling, Y to distractions, Y to calpol. Her drink bottle. You can fill it after security although quite often they are lax and will ok it even if full (at least they have for us!). You'll be able to take your stroller to the gate.

I would check your carseat in and bring it but i have never hired a carseat here in Singapore so not sure how much choice there is.

Don't worry about stuff for when u get here (apart from the carseat) as u can buy anything here, albeit usually a bit more expensive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now