WORLD TRAVEL for six months - where should I go?

(14 Posts)
lucylou2311 Sun 26-May-13 10:37:09

Would love to hear what you decide! We are considering getting away for up to 6 months, have 2 boys aged 4 and 2, and a long list of places to whittle down!

Fluffy1234 Thu 25-Apr-13 18:33:28

Givemeaclue I have sent you a message as don't want to bore everyone on this thread.

MasterOfTheYoniverse Thu 25-Apr-13 18:27:25

I would definitely do south America.
Its such a treck from the asia-pacific region. Might be a while before you get another chance.

A proper tour of Europe also seems necessary. You should at least consider Eating and drinking your way through France and Italy .....

Enjoy!

givemeaclue Thu 25-Apr-13 18:11:01

Did you arrange independently fluffy or through an agent, can you link to where you stayed, sounds fab

Fluffy1234 Thu 25-Apr-13 17:46:00

We flew BA into Rio and stayed in the Leblon area one block away from the most incredible beach. Each morning we went somewhere amazing and then either went on the beach for a few hours later on in the day or sat around the hotel's top pool if we had a longer day out. We visited Sugar Loaf mountain, the DC loved the two cable cars, Copacabana Fort and beach, took a jeep trip into the rain forest, visited the Christ statue and went to a botanical garden. Each evening we ate somewhere different which was an experience. On day six we few to Iguassa and stay on the Argentian side in the rain forest which was absolutely amazing for four nights. We visited both sides of the falls, Wanda mines and had a really whacky experience of going on a shopping trip to Paraguay which involved driving through Argentian/Brazilian border and then Brazilian/Paraguay border.
That was last Easter and my DC were 11 and 13.

givemeaclue Thu 25-Apr-13 17:17:45

Fluffy can you tell more about Rio with kids please

Shanghaidiva Thu 25-Apr-13 15:37:07

Have not been to South America, but some of the best places I have been are:
California, Arizona, Nevada - road trip
Washington DC - great for kids as loads of free museums
NZ - but plenty of time for that when you are down under
Laos - amazing - particularly Luang Prabang
Cambodia and Vietnam - fascinating and the food is fab

Manchesterhistorygirl Thu 25-Apr-13 15:26:07

Wow lucky you! Mega jealous!

Have a look at buying a star Alliance round the world ticket.

http://www.staralliance.com/en/fares/round-the-world-fare/

I would do New York, San Francisco and LA (for the original Disneyland), Japan (its on my bucket list), Vietnam (ditto) and Sydney.

Fluffy1234 Thu 25-Apr-13 15:22:54

I took DC to Rio and then onto visit Iguassa Falls last year and would definitely recommend those places. My bestest place in the world is Cape Town but not sure if that would fit into your plan.

Thank you all.

crikeyblimey Timbuktu - just to say we have been there! have to be a bit careful re foreign office as he will (technically still be a serving officer) Peru is on my list as is Machu Picchu (known as Maka Paka by DD - far too much tv watching!). Europe is on the list as I come from abroad and have never been anywhere in Europe ie Paris etc. We have bought a brilliant book by National Geographic called '100 places that will change your child's life'. BUT finances will mean that our list has to be culled somewhat. I was looking at UNESCO sites but there are hundreds of them. DD wants to go to Chicago because American Girls have a store there and Shake It Up Chicago is filmed there - she is NOT getting the message about this trip smile

Special subject some good points there about chilling. That is one of the reasons that my (very sensible) husband finally agreed to the travel. Going from where we are now straight into emigration with all the resultant headaches would be a step too far. We need to get to know each other as a family again.

COCKadoodledooo Wed 24-Apr-13 20:55:37

Timbuktu/Mali. Love that place. But you might want to check with the Foreign Office first!

Machu Picchu on our 'one day' list, plus Okavango delta. Lots of others but those are the top. Have a great trip!

Crikeyblimey Wed 24-Apr-13 20:30:06

South America! Peru is spectacular. Takes time to travel within the country though as trains etc. have their own quirky timetables. Having said that, most interesting places do.

Have a fab time.

specialsubject Wed 24-Apr-13 20:25:00

having been in a similar happy position, (chucking it all in from a nightmare job) - my first recommendation is that your first stop is a chill-out session. unwind, destress and throw the clock away somewhere that you can relax.

doesn't necessarily mean a beach - whatever you enjoy. Then once everyone is recovered, set off on the more 'stressful' travel.

don't move too fast, don't be shy about doing 'touristy' things (because they are popular for a reason), get your jabs, sort your insurance (a standard policy repatriating to the UK won't do for you) and carry as little as possible.

as to where to go? Well, I loved Oz and NZ but you'll have plenty of time to do that - although you'll be nearer SE Asia... Is this a chance to see something of Europe before you go?

good luck and enjoy.

We are emigrating to Perth Australia - we need to be in situ by mid January for the new school year. So notice to current prep school has been given, house has been sold, employer has been told.... All in all it is an exciting and daunting time. We have decided to take 6 months out. The job my husband is leaving is very stressful, long hours, away from home (lots!) and he has never had a day off sick or even his full entitlement of leave. So before I send him out to earn the pennies in Australia we want to have six months to reform as a unit. It is even more needed as our daughter has educational needs that can only be met at the moment in a weekly boarding school which we have all found very hard. (That will not happen in Perth).

So where would you go or even better where have you been? We are thinking Russia, South America, America and then Peru and the Serengeti. We will be getting a round the world ticket so have to travel in one direction - usually they end up passing through Australia which we are not keen to do.

Inspire me - grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now