Where to go long haul with a 1 year old

(20 Posts)
MasterOfTheYoniverse Wed 24-Apr-13 01:32:37

Dubai is an easy option. Good hotels, pool scene and service. The beaches are just OK.
Definitely more in terms of entertainement if feel you need the distraction
A good Plan B.
Oman and muscat have fantastic beaches from what i've heard but little else to do.

How about Miami south beach?
Great beaches,great food and a funkier vibe. Easy to get around with a stroller.
Again like in the caribbean, if you go very early Nov. you might get caught in the tail end of hurricane season.

NotSoNervous Tue 23-Apr-13 20:30:10

Thanks natural, I hadn't even thought of Barbados, I don't know why but I always imagined it was a place for couples blush

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Tue 23-Apr-13 14:35:58

Sorry , my sister took her one year old to Barbados in early December. Loved it and found it very easy/child friendly.

NaturalBlondeYeahRight Tue 23-Apr-13 14:35:11

My sister t

NotSoNervous Tue 23-Apr-13 14:33:03

Anyone know anything about Dubai?

givemeaclue Tue 23-Apr-13 12:47:42

Hurricane season Caribbean

NotSoNervous Tue 23-Apr-13 12:44:01

Thanks master some ideas to look at. We went to Cuba a few years ago so won't be going back for a long while

MasterOfTheYoniverse Tue 23-Apr-13 10:08:05

The beach in punta cana (dominican rep) is fab but its all inclusive resorts and not much else to do.
Am thinking varadero in cuba us equally beautiful and lits to see but that would involve a couple of nights in havana to make the modt of it. Riads are not great and you dont want to do long day trips.

Are you keen on boating/sailing? Why not consider a small cruise ship island hopping?

NotSoNervous Tue 23-Apr-13 09:42:46

I'm thinking of the Caribbean but not sure where. Would like there to be a lot of child friendly things to do with trips aswell

Sold isitsnow grin

isitsnowingyet Tue 23-Apr-13 08:35:51

Blimey - If only...Can I sit in your extra seat? I'll entertain your baby

MasterOfTheYoniverse Tue 23-Apr-13 08:30:06

mauritius or anywhere in the caribbean?

NotSoNervous Tue 23-Apr-13 08:22:54

The temp there averages between 17-21 so we would want to go somewhere a bit warmer and with a higher chance of getting the nice weather but thanks anyway

specialsubject Mon 22-Apr-13 22:18:01

really? I've been in November and it was in the mid 20s. That's my definition of warm. Very pleasant - swim, relax on beach, walk, do stuff.

not tropical. But not malarial, only four hours away and no time difference.

NotSoNervous Mon 22-Apr-13 21:33:20

It won't be warm there around November

specialsubject Mon 22-Apr-13 18:15:29

Canary Islands?

NotSoNervous Mon 22-Apr-13 14:46:58

Thanks for the advice

Mummy our max budget would be about £3000 for 2 adults and DD. We like beach/pool holidays but have always done trips and things too

Snowgirl1 Mon 22-Apr-13 14:42:47

And I think most of South Africa is malaria free, so you don't have to worry about malaria tablets for your DD.

Snowgirl1 Mon 22-Apr-13 14:41:27

South Africa. Direct flights (BA, Virgin etc.) are overnight, so DD will sleep and you won't have to worry about her running around the plane, or having to keep DD entertained. If you're lucky, you might get away with squeezing her into a skycot so might not need an extra seat. Plus the time difference in South Africa is only an hour or two, so you won't have to deal with a jet-lagged DD whilst jet-lagged yourself. And South Africa is beauuutiful. We went with 7 month old DD last year and it worked really well.

mummymeister Mon 22-Apr-13 14:41:17

general advice imo is to avoid anywhere that you need jabs or mosquito pills for. florida was perfect for us nov/dec as it wasn't too hot around mid 70's. would also avoid really hot countries personally but then you might be a more confident traveller than me. I could make more suggestions if you could say what your budget is, what kind of thing you like etc.

NotSoNervous Mon 22-Apr-13 14:35:44

We're hoping to go away in november when DD will be 1. It will be long haul because of the time of year but we don't know where to go, any ideas?

We'll book extra leg room and depending on costs maybe an extra seat so DD doesn't have to be on our laps the whole time

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now