NYC hotel? I cant afford these prices :-(

(32 Posts)
Delilahahaha Thu 11-Apr-13 11:16:31

Looking for a budget-ish hotel in NYC for a trip in June. Nothng too grim or studenty. Getting hacked off with trip advisor and perturbed by prices already. Any suggestions oh lovely and wise ones?

BearPear Mon 22-Apr-13 19:25:21

In 2007 we stayed at Red Roof Inn, Manhattan. It's 2 blocks from Empire State & it was very reasonable, room rate included breakfast - we didn't want the expense of eating out all day, every day.

Rosesandlemons Fri 19-Apr-13 13:01:05

Interested if anyone else who has actually used airbnb felt it was such a big 'risk'. We had fully read up on a these issues but for us it was such s fantastic experience. Some people wouldn't take the 'risk' of booking outside a travel agents. Airbnb hold your money until you have inspected the apartment and all is as expected in arrival. I wouldn't go on and on about it unless I really felt it was a perfectly safe and acceptable option for someone in a budget.

Surya Thu 18-Apr-13 16:58:30

I second the choice of the Harlem Flophouse: its supercheap, really lovely (have a look at some of the photos here: www.harlemflophouse.com/), and the A/D trains run straight from 125th Street to 59th, which means that you can get to mid-town within minutes. The bathrooms are shared, but they're sinks in each of the rooms, and I've never had to wait to use the bathroom (I usually visit New York twice a year, and stay there for a week or two each time). However, the last time, there was building work across the Street starting from around 8 am during the weekdays, and running until about 3 pm, so not so good for a lie-in (though you don't hear the noise at all if you've got a room at the back of the house). Also, there are no TVs, aircon or a front desk: it feels more like staying at an eccentric, rich aunt's house, rather than a hotel, which might be a good or a bad thing, depending on your point of view!

Aside from local laws, many large apartment buildngs in NYC are condominiums or co-operatives (co-ops), and they are governed by rules about what their residents can and can not do. Most likely, their rules prohibit renting apartments to tourists on a weekly or daily basis. If the neighbours are fed up with a resident who has tourists coming in and out on a weekly basis, and if they don't want strangers to have copies of keys to the building, they will check with the janitor or management company to find out what's going on.

It may be perhaps more affordable but there are many scams also associated with the likes of holiday rental websites. The whole enterprise is not without a degree of risk for both the renter and the resident particularly in NYC where this practice has been outlawed.

People have been fined for renting out their apartment for visitors when they have not been there at the same time. The fines for the resident are steep as well and people can be evicted.

SF and New Orleans to name two other cities have equally strict laws on short term lets to visitors. Its not worth the risk.

DewDr0p Thu 18-Apr-13 15:38:00

Also try housetrip or nyhabitat

Rosesandlemons Thu 18-Apr-13 15:32:00

We heard all these stories before we booked, but had no problems. It certainly wouldn't stop me hiring an apartment again. It's the only way to have an authentic New York experience and also very affordable.

Longdistance Thu 18-Apr-13 14:58:50

Really? I haven't been there since 2008, didn't know that.
Was there any reason for it?

Renting out an apartment for less than 30 days has actually been illegal in New York City since May 2011.

Longdistance Thu 18-Apr-13 09:18:45

Homeaway.com google apartments in ny.

Longdistance Thu 18-Apr-13 09:14:01

I stayed in an apartment on 73rd West. Can't remember the name of it, but didn't think it was mega expensive. It had a microwave, fridge, toaster, kettle to self cater.
Think the website was home and away, or something like that.

Rosesandlemons Thu 18-Apr-13 08:47:04

Also highly recommend air bnb. There are lots of people who will try to put you off this option, but it is the best way to travel. Providing you book with someone with good feedback you will be fine. You will get to rent a whole apartment for the cost of a room in a scummy hotel and then you can pretend you are carrie Bradshaw! Best decision we made. We traveled around America doing this and had no problems. I will never stay in s hotel again. Enjoy love NYC

PlumBear Tue 16-Apr-13 13:15:14

Dh and I stayed here last summer - can really recommend

www.wjhotel.com/accommodations

Not sure of your budget, but we found it very reasonably priced. Rooms were compact, but very clean, which was all we needed really - we were barely there as we spent so much time sightseeing -- and eating -- . It's in the hells kitchen area, so loads of amazing places to eat nearby. Spoke to friends recently who were just back from NY - turns out they'd stayed at same place, and loved it too.

hometown38 Fri 12-Apr-13 17:08:48

Good suggestions here ... re airbnb i understand that there are potential problems renting apartments in NYC on short term leases less than 30 days , maybe i am wrong .

notcitrus Fri 12-Apr-13 10:21:56

Harlem Flophouse is fab - by 125th St so express subway handy. Diner nearby for breakfast.

MildDrPepperAddiction Fri 12-Apr-13 10:06:42

Eastgate Tower Hotel isn't bad. We stayed there with DS 18 mths ago. It's kind if like an aparthotel so there was a separate kitchen, living room area which was good after he went to bed. Have fun!

MildredH Fri 12-Apr-13 09:55:35

We stayed in a place called Chelsea Lodge ( google Chelsea lodge New York - comes up first).

Was quite a few years ago but worth looking at. Essentially a b&b, only down side is shared loo ( we had a shower in our room) but lovely area, charming rooms etc..

glorious Fri 12-Apr-13 09:39:41

We found prices crashed a couple of weeks before the trip. So book a fall back on a refundable rate and then see if something better comes up.

flubba Fri 12-Apr-13 07:56:27

I went years ago and we rented a NYC apartment for the time we were there - can't remember how we found it - but essentially it belonged to a businessman who rented it out when he was travelling with work. It worked out a lot cheaper and I really felt we got the 'real deal' swanning in to the lobby and being greeted by the doorman etc. Would def do it again.

Not sure what your budget is and it was a while since we went but The Belvedere was nice and very reasonable compared to other central hotels. It is 5 min walk fron Times sq.

Elenio Fri 12-Apr-13 07:40:34

Try air bandb it's a fab website with apartments all over the world. Prices can be very reasonable and you have the added advantage of having cooking facilities!

Meringue33 Fri 12-Apr-13 07:37:58

Hilton Garden Inn?

rubyrubyruby Fri 12-Apr-13 07:34:02

I have booked into the TRYP - Times Square South for July.

Groovee Fri 12-Apr-13 07:24:09

What is your budget?

hometown38 Thu 11-Apr-13 21:09:34

That Sugar Hill Harlem Inn looks very interesting , never stayed that far uptown before ..might consider that .
The Salisbury is good , excellent location , i have stayed there before, but for my dates it is silly money atm .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now