Florida for 2 weeks! - Any tips?

(14 Posts)
10ptstoGRYFFINDOOR Wed 10-Apr-13 19:11:30

I'm going to Florida with a 14 year old & an 18 year old.
We'll be staying in two different Hotels. (The Rosen Inn and The Royal Pacific Resort)
Has anyone got any tips on how to do this Cheap?
Any suggestions of an itinerary?
Thank youuu! smile

mummymeister Wed 10-Apr-13 22:18:20

Not staying in a hotel for a start grin they will definately love Universal. are you staying mainly in orlando or travelling around? Ihave 3 teens and they loved florida keys and the everglades. pm if you want more info.

10ptstoGRYFFINDOOR Wed 10-Apr-13 22:45:25

We're staying in orlando! We want to do Disney & Universal mainly smile

mummymeister Thu 11-Apr-13 09:56:26

we bought 2 week open tickets for both parks so that we could go to them when we wanted. my 3 enjoyed everything to do with universal - 2 days in each park, plus busch gardens is a must if they are thrill seekers and only an hour or so to drive. We also liked kennedy space centre as they are into science. to keep costs down we rented a fantastic villa about 20 mins from the parks with a huge pool and jacuzzi. we had breakfast in all but two days, bought bags of cookies, fruit and snacks ( take a good small rucksack for this) and kept the eating in the parks to a minimum as it is expensive and not as good quality. half the evenings i cooked quick pasta type stuff. by catering for ourselves we did make it a lot cheaper. the evening shows and parades were good fun too. only went to the free ones though. This is where we stayed here owned by an english couple immaculately clean and well equipped and £550 a week. pm me for more info

10ptstoGRYFFINDOOR Thu 11-Apr-13 12:30:46

The week open tickets is a good idea! We'll probably be doing that too! Busch gardens is a must! Thanks for all this info- it really helps smile

Anthracite Thu 11-Apr-13 12:39:36

If you have a refrigerator and microwave in your hotel room, ask for your leftovers in restaurants to be boxed up so you can have them another time. The portion sizes in the US are obscene and most Americans take home what they don't finish.

Budgiegirlbob Thu 11-Apr-13 15:20:37

If you have breakfast provided in the hotel, eat a big breakfast, and then just take snacks to the park, saves buying food in the parks as this can be expensive and adds up quickly. Take a small cooler bag with you and some ziplock bags, you can make a freezer pack by filling up the ziplock with ice from the machines in the hotel. Keeps drinks/snacks nice and cool if the weather is very hot.

Definately check out some of the restaurant websites before you go, and sign up for any offers/deals they may have. Can be a very cheap way of eating, we went to Sweet Tomatoes at least 4 times in a fortnight, getting vouchers before we went, and it cost us $24.99 for four including drinks for an all you can eat buffet.

Have a couple of nights getting a takeaway pizza, these tend to be huge and cheap, and are good for filling up hungry teenagers!

The hotels will also have voucher books for various restaurants in the lobby. Or ask the concierge who may know which local restaurants have deals on.There are usually vouchers for offers on entertainment as well, such as crazy golf, wonderworks etc if you are into those sort of things.

ChestysLonelyYoni Thu 11-Apr-13 23:26:42

Hi

We came back monday from 2weeks at the Rosen Inn!

Loved it! Am attempting to talk everyone into another trip.

Are you driving whilst there?
What in particular would you like to know?

<jealous>

Groovee Fri 12-Apr-13 07:21:06

Check out ATD for tickets. They let you pay a deposit and pay up the tickets.

I'd get over to The Dibb and use their planner. They have a busy day guide too, so staying off site, will help you know when the Extra Magic Hours for Disney Resort Guests are and help you stay away from the days which will be very busy.

Also pick up as many coupons as you can for restaurants as they are very accepted over there.

dolallymum Fri 12-Apr-13 07:57:11

Found buying shampoo, shower gel, deodrant, etc. cheaper over there and means you have more space in your suitcase.
Also, if you intend to hit the malls, etc. don't take a full suitcase. You will need the space.
Definately research on the internet before you go the hotspots and plan yourself a little itenery. You don't need to stick to it, but it's good to have an idea of what you want to do, where you want to go, and what is in the same area so that you can fit as much in as possible. If you do an itenery though keep the last couple of days free so that you can revisit places you would like to go back to, or do the visits you didn't get chance to.
But most of all have fun and enjoy every minute. wink

theoriginalandbestrookie Fri 12-Apr-13 18:06:31

Universal does unlimited meals in the parks for $21.99 per person for one day from 11.30am. A meal of burger and fries is around $8.99 so if they have big appetites then it may be useful. Yes I know its not the healthiest, but with two teenagers I imagine they will eat quite a lot.

With the Disney tickets you get access to the water parks included and if you are bringing a car parking is also free whereas at the parks it's $14 per day for Disney and $15 for Universal. Water Parks also have mini golf at each and again with the 14 day ticket you can use these before 4pm at no cost.

Kennedy Space Centre good if they are into space - definitely bring a picnic for this, food is not nice at all apart from a very expensive cafe.

If its tricky for you to make up packed lunches at your hotel due to lack of fridge then there are lots of chains - Subway, D'arbys etc that do sandwiches and salads, or Publix has lovely pre made salad boxes.

Water fountains all round the parks, so bring in your water bottle and refill during the day.

Enjoy - we are just back today.

10ptstoGRYFFINDOOR Mon 15-Apr-13 10:45:12

All of these are really good tips! We will definitely buy cheap shampoo when we're there! We're trying to find light weight towels too. I'm so glad there are water fountains there to keep hydrated and we're going to ask for all of the leftovers so we can eat them if the kids get hungry! We will definitely take snacks with us and try to hit the malls - if we have time confused
Haha thanks everyone - PM me with more tips if you have any more

conorsrockers Mon 22-Apr-13 10:38:48

Discovery Cove is lovely. My kids like it better than any of the theme parks and it was a very relaxing day, although it may be a little pricey ...

AnneEyhtMeyer Sun 28-Apr-13 12:32:24

I personally avoid the water fountains after the first time I used them. I spent the next day vomiting. I have never been sick before or after in Disney, so can only put it down to the water fountains.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now