New York - transfers and organising what to do!

(16 Posts)
sweetestcup Sun 21-Apr-13 21:48:04

Bunbaker thats what I think we definitely need to do, just having trouble deciding what is the most important grin

everlong me neither, I wasn't that bothered at first as DH was the one who was desperate to see NY but its only 4 and a half months away now and Im getting excited!

(Im the OP and Ive name changed grin)

Bunbaker Sun 21-Apr-13 18:46:09

Just bear in mind that you will feel very tired by mid afternoon/early evening as they are 5 hours behind us. So I would make a list in priority order in case you don't get to do everything.

everlong Sun 21-Apr-13 18:43:29

We are doing similar this year. NY for 4 nights then fly to CA.

Some good tips on here, never been to NY really looking forward.

shesariver Wed 17-Apr-13 14:00:06

Boys are 5 and 11, DH is 37 going on 3 grin Hes already earmarked that giant Toys R us store to visit!

So glad I posted, I would never have considered Top of the Rock.

FAO Schwartz as a toy store is very much designed with younger children in mind (say five and under) because they seem to only now sell soft toys. Dependent on age they'd perhaps be more interested in the Apple store next door. A toy store that is far better all round is the Toys R Us on Times Square.

I would also recommend Top of the Rock to visit.

shesariver Wed 17-Apr-13 09:47:30

southeast DH would love FAO Schwarz, never mind my boys! Thanks for the tips.

beachy we have definitely decided now to miss Empire State and do Top of the Rock now!

noway Its the Empire Hotel, very near Central park. Off to google your suggestions about train now, thanks! We arent going till 31 August. So excited now though!!! Definitely still want to do Staten Island Ferry but looks like we may have to miss out WTC memorial.

NoWayNoHow Mon 15-Apr-13 21:39:44

OP, where is your hotel? We just got back from NYC and I can seriously recommend the NJ Transit train from Newark airport to New York Penn station (mid town at Madison Sq Gdns). $12.50 single and took 25mins - very easy, and no chance of traffic.

I also third (fourth?) Top of the Rock - we did both that and Empire and the views from the Rock are much better, far more "360". Plus, you can see the Empire State Building.

I wouldn't personally put actual time towards time Square (ha ha, I'll be here all week) - I think it's something to walk through to see, but it's not a destination IMO.

Staten Island ferry is a good way of seeing Lady Liberty without doing a cruise, and it's also free. Also bear in mind that Liberty Island and Ellis Island are both closed at the moment until July.

Ummm... WTC was HORRIFIC queue wise, we couldn't get in. Central Park great to walk through, maybe from the Metropolitan to the Museum of Natural History?

beachyhead Mon 15-Apr-13 21:31:39

I second Top of the Rock over the Empire State Building... Should be shorter queues...

Southeastdweller Mon 15-Apr-13 21:21:46

I agree with bella that you're planning on doing too much in such a short space of time. There's no city like New York for taking in the atmosphere whilst walking around and doing whatever comes along. You'll need lots of energy to say the least. But I appreciate what you say that it's a once in a lifetime thing.

If you're in that area I think you'd all like FAO Schwarz (where Tom Hanks played piano in Big). You could combine this with going to Central Park, similarly Wall Street, Staten Island and WTC Memorial, the latter you should not only book online but if you're allergic to big crowds, get there as early as possible.

Ellis Island is a must-see but I doubt you'd find the time.

The subway is quick and very good value. Don't bother with buses on your schedule. Taxis are cheap but then I'm so used to London prices grin

Also don't even bother with Macy's nearby to the Empire State building. Even if you were going for a couple of weeks I don't think it's worthwhile.

Have a lovely time.

shesariver Sun 14-Apr-13 21:26:35

Thanks Attila, thats what we will do then smile

Probably bella but this will really be in a once in a lifetime thing grin

Thanks lily, now thinking of Central park for a picnic on first afternoon, walk through Times Square and then Empire State at night. Second day go Staten Island Ferry early. DH has now decided he wants to see the giant Toys R Us, hes just a kid at heart!

Had never heard of Top of the Rock, just googled it...think we will go for that, thanks !

Lilymaid Sun 14-Apr-13 12:40:36

Area around WTC memorial is still a big building site and I was put off by reading some of the Tripadvisor reviews about the security (and the photography!) but it is near Wall Street and you can get a trip out to Statute of Liberty close by. Underwhelmed by Wall St area - but I work in City of London and it isn't that much different! Times Square is OK to pass through pretty quickly - en route for somewhere else.
My favourites: Circle Line Cruise (we did whole trip round Manhattan Island but you can do half trips), Central Park, Grand Central Station (and Oyster Bar). I would also suggest Top of the Rock so that you can see Empire State Building!

BellaVita Sat 13-Apr-13 15:09:18

Personally, I think you are trying to cram too much in.

Top of the Rock much better than Empire State Building IMO.

List what you want to do in order of must see first.

I suggest with Central Park getting one of those bike carriage rides - you can then pick what to see in the Park. We did an hour ride and the guide did the main bits for us, stopping at various places to let us get off and take pictures.

I would get a taxi to your hotel.

The taxi despatchers at Newark are quite helpful and will get you a taxi van if required.

shesariver Fri 12-Apr-13 21:19:17

Thanks natasha thats really helpful smile

NatashaBee Wed 10-Apr-13 19:00:00

I would do the Empire State Building late at night. Queues are ridiculous during the day. Book the WTC thing online in advance (i think they charge you a small admin fee for tickets that would be free, but probably worth it to cut out the queues). I thought it was a bit ghoulish, lots of people taking pictures of themselves in front of the memorials. Times Square has a really cool Toys r us with a Ferris wheel in it, it seemed to get busier and busier throughout the day so I would aim to go there Sunday morning. We did a Grayline bus tour which let you hop on/ hop off - it was pretty cool to cover a lot of ground in a small amount of time.

shesariver Wed 10-Apr-13 18:33:30

Hi, we are off to California in September and are flying from Glasgow to Newark first so have 2 nights in New York. Not a lot - but enough I'm sure for us to pack in some must sees! It will work out at a day and a half as our plane lands lunchtime on the Saturday. We have a list of what ideally we would like to do and as I said I know we will be time limited so would like peoples suggestions how to plan these - that is what to do on what day and in what order.

So it includes ferry past Statue of Liberty to see it, Empire State Building, Central park, Times square, Wall Street, and the World Trade Centre memorial site. Any suggestions?

One more thing - there are 4 of us and I was wondering about transfers from Newark to our hotel - I suppose taxi is the best option - will there be room for all our luggage, as we will have 1 suitcase and 1 hand luggage each and a few smaller bags? Never been before, normally we pack our car and drive to France so this is a big change! Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now