Anyone been to Sri Lanka?

(17 Posts)
SkiBumMum Sat 01-Jun-13 19:33:27

We went pre-kids and also loved it. Preferred it to Thailand as much less touristy. We were there about 9m after the tsunami and people were so keen to get the visitors back though. We stayed in b&bs which were great

hellohellohihi Sat 01-Jun-13 19:12:44

4x4 - I didn't "get" bentota at all.... Just that hotel there??

hellohellohihi Sat 01-Jun-13 19:12:00

Villas are the way to go, or boutique. I-escape has some great places.

We went with dd when she was 9 months and had a great time. BUT - I would choose Thailand over Sri Lanka any day, more charm and character, better beaches for sure, better range of accommodation. SL food was fab though (as is thai food).

4x4 Sat 18-May-13 10:37:07

I am planning a Sept trip with my children aged 3 and 2 and twins of 1. For us its a five hour flight . Last time we only had the elder two but absolutely loved it. We stayed in a beach villa near Bentota and did small trips . Its a beautiful country.

suburbophobe Fri 10-May-13 11:42:07

Was there even before the war. Spent three months in Sri Lanka and South India. In my youth. grin

Amazing.

Travelled all along the coast from Negombo (north of Colombo) to Galle, then through inland to Trincomalee, north east coast. Arragam Bay south of that was incredible. Quiet crescent moon-shaped beach and bay. So peaceful.
Went to Kandy, stayed in the hills above it, and took the night train (ridiculously cheap) back to Colombo.

On the boat from Mannar to Kanyakumari, the southern tip of India with its multi-coloured sand....

Madurai and Kerala were fantastic too.

IEatCakeInBed Fri 10-May-13 11:27:27

I'd also pick Thailand over Sri Lanka.

Whatever you do don't stay at the Hotel Tanosa in Nuwara Eliya. It is the Fawlty Towers of Asia, quite stunning in its awfulness.

Isthiscorrect Fri 10-May-13 11:15:54

Sri Lanka is lovely but yes boutique or basic. The hotel we stayed in5 star with Kuoni was quite frankly one of the worst hotels I've ever been to. They do love kids and it's a great place, travel is very time consuming, single roads, bus hold ups.
Thailand is equally lovely but more geared up. It oesnt have to be too touristy but traveling is easier and people just as lovely.

sofi0308 Fri 10-May-13 07:26:52

we took 3 kids to sri lanka and have since been to thailand, i think thailand is better/easier/more friendly/better food/and more middle range accomodation. in sri lanka we found it either boutique or run down with very little in between. just a thought.

rocketupbum Wed 08-May-13 22:08:57

Ooh it's like this thread read my mind! I am vaguely thinking about a trip with the DC too.
I think it is most convenient to get a car/driver and then plan tour in the time, energy you will have.
I guess the flights are to be considered with regard to length/connections etc.
I will post if(when) I come up with more ideas!

homework Tue 30-Apr-13 15:20:11

Went there last Easter , did nature parks , lots of time on beach with my son , had a lovely time people very friendly . You do get hassled a little bit by hawkers on beach , but you just need to say no and they do go away. Not a problem taken kids , they do like children and have a great warmth to having them around. Travelled extensively with my son around the world and have only two bad memories and there both from trips in America . So just go for it.

bruffin Tue 23-Apr-13 13:59:38

We also went for out honeymoon 2 weeks in the Maldives then a week touring Sri Lanka, unfortunately didnt get to go to the elephant orphanage but went to all the other places Shanghaidiva mentions as well as Pollonaruwa,Anradhapura and The Hill Club. We went with Kuoni and had a minibus we shared with one other couple.

SofaKing Tue 23-Apr-13 13:35:08

Shanghidiva we did the same for our honeymoon - it was awesome :-)

I don't know how child friendly the flights would be - we spent 8 hrs getting to Dubai, then a further 5 hours to Sri Lanka, evening and night time flights so quite exhausting.

Most beach resorts seemed child friendly, lovely beaches and pools and a good range of food for fussy eaters (like DH). The elephant orphanage outside Kandy is amazing, you can have lunch and watch the elephants bathing and even help.

Safari and temples are probably too grown up but if you stick to the beach and simple excursions I think it would be lovely.

It's the closest place to paradise I have ever been, the people were so lovely and friendly and it is stunningly beautiful.

The traffic is awful though, no road rules and you honk when overtaking to warn oncoming traffic, but this doesn't seem to slow it down!

Shanghaidiva Tue 23-Apr-13 13:24:21

lovely place - excellent food, friendly people and just beautiful. I went pre-kids and 16 years ago and spent one week driving around and one week in Mount Lavinia.
Visited:
Kandy
Galle
colombo
elephant orphange
sigirya (sp?)
safari in south - but not really worth the effort -

Sunnywithshowers Tue 09-Apr-13 14:19:01

I loved Sri Lanka. The people are really friendly, it's incredibly beautiful and the food is excellent.

I don't know about family friendly as I went without children.

HazeltheMcWitch Tue 09-Apr-13 13:36:30

I've been; I loved it!
People are friendly, so it's family friendly in that sense. But the rest depends on what kind of a holiday you're looking for - lots of people hire a driver and do a fair few miles - my DC would hate that, as they get car sick!

skratta Tue 09-Apr-13 13:34:31

Umm, yes, but to visit DH's adopted mum (who lives by the beach in Colombo).

rainbowmagic1974 Mon 08-Apr-13 23:30:39

Is it family friendly? Any thoughts, advice or recommendations? In the early stages of planning!!!!smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now