Holiday to Russia

(13 Posts)

This has been a dream for a long time about going and Ds2 is planning A level history this September and has already settled on Russia and how Stalin had influence on things and how te TSar etc did .So s very much up for a trip and like his mum loves museums and old buildings etc

Not sure package or try own self anyone else been any tips ( main plan is Moscow and St petersburg

Fluffy1234 Sun 07-Apr-13 18:02:38

I'm visiting St Petersburg with DC on a cruise this summer. I haven't been to Russia before but I'm sure I read if you book a package your visa is arranged for you and if you book independently you have to sort it out yourself and to apply a couple of months before you plan to visit.
It sounds like an amazing trip you have planned.

ty

fluffy we did look at cruise but cruise bit does not appeal to me or ds2 , as were not the most social of people and in reality be paying for the cruise part where were not make most of it

intresting about the visa I may check with russian embassy how easy it is

BranchingOut Mon 08-Apr-13 07:03:24

We went to Russia. Petersburg-overnight train-Moscow.
Used a small travel agency just for the visa, but arranged the rest ourselves.
Visited winter palace, tomb of the Romanovs and Peterhof in Petersburg.
Visited Kremlin, St Basil's, VVT, ballet in Moscow. Plus lots of walking around in each place.
Really amazing, but it feels quite different to western Europe - for some reason I never quite felt relaxed when we were there...not trying to put you off, just a personal opinion.

Numberlock Mon 08-Apr-13 07:10:10

Definitely use a travel agent for the visa, it's worth the money as they will get it right.

Have a great time!

I've also visited Moscow and st Petersburg. Visa sorted through travel agent - had to send passport off which always makes me a bit nervous but it was fine. Quite expensive from what I remember - could have been £75 or so and this was about 8 years ago.

Really fascinating place - it was fairly pricey from what I can remember especially in Moscow. The underground subway is amazing, especially in St Petersburg where some of the stations are like works of art in themselves. Visited Kremlin, St Basil's, Hermitage, Winter Palace etc. Moscow skyline genuinely looks like something out of 1984 - it was very Soviet era - whereas St Petersburg is like a beautiful European river city.

Found the language really hard - didn't expect there to be so few people who spoke English at all, even in Moscow, and my Russian is limited to a few basic words. But the hardest thing is the alphabet - so even reading signs took a long time as I was comparing words letter by letter.

I'd definitely recommend a visit especially with more than a passing interest in its history - it's a fascinating place as long as you're prepared for it to be quite hard work - it's not an easy place to visit. But we went independently - might be more straightforward to go on a tour or package.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 08-Apr-13 07:18:03

How long did it take to get the visas through a travel agency?

Numberlock Mon 08-Apr-13 07:38:33

They can turn them round in two working days for a higher fee but recommend doing it as early as possible. You will have to have your flights and hotels booked beforehand as this information is required on the visa application form.

TheDoctrineOfSnatch Mon 08-Apr-13 08:37:15

Thanks!

Numberlock Mon 08-Apr-13 08:49:09

Hope all goes to plan. You can download the forms on line to check exactly what you need, eg here:

ru.vfsglobal.co.uk/Visa_application_form.html

Footle Mon 08-Apr-13 20:22:28

Don't for godsake drink the water or brush your teeth with it.

Thank you

One extra complications is I'm in a wheelchair but can bum shuffle up stairs where needed am not fussy and pretty much game if needs . Ds2 can just heft the chair up stairs while I bump up or down as needs

But yup it's the history stuff we both love smile want make most that age 16/17 he wants do things with me still

Numberlock Tue 09-Apr-13 07:32:26

Ah that's great, I bet you're very proud of him and I hope you have a great time. I hope there's some good information on wheelchair access to places, transport and hotels online?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now