Thailand VIRGIN

(11 Posts)
MasterOfTheYoniverse Fri 26-Apr-13 05:01:22

They opened universal studios 3 years ago. And lots of other fun things to do in sentosa and around town (hollywoid style entertainment/nature & culture)
There was a thread just a couple of weeks ago in living overseas with lots of good suggestions.

MooseBeTimeForSpring Fri 26-Apr-13 02:09:10

Singapore is brilliant. I think there's a Disney theme park on Sentosa now? You can take them for a walk on the F1 grid.

There's loads to do for children. Lots of science stuff, the night safari is great (Huuge bats!), the bird park etc. The MRT (underground) is quick, clean and efficient.

Just stay away from the durian fruit smile

MasterOfTheYoniverse Fri 26-Apr-13 01:39:43

I would also recommend Koh Samui over phuket. Very little to do in Phuket so what's the point of going all the way there to stay in a resort?
Koh samui has a lot more charm.
Both have readily accessible private hospitals. All hotels will have a Dr on call at short notice so don't worry. Much safer than the caribbean on that front.

You could also just stay in Singapore as there is so much to do with the kids. Combine it with a beach stay in Bintan which is just 40mn away by ferry. The Club med sits on the best beach in Bintan. Nice and easy.

Singapore really has a lot to offer if you've never been to Asia and want a stress free "first".
Hong Kong has stunning scenery (mountain and sea). Against all expectations, its not all fast furious. Connections to Thailand are not as good/frequent though.

Singapore is the same climate year round
Phuket is best Nov-April
Samui best in the summer. Still hot for Xmas but rainy.
For Hong Kong avoid August-sept (typhoon season) and dec-feb are cold.
Christmas is very expensive everywhere (up to twice as much)

Runoutofideas Wed 24-Apr-13 21:36:07

We have taken our children (now 8 and 5) to Thailand 3 times. They love it! We have been to Ao Nang, Krabi and kamala in Phuket. Nobody has been ill on any occasion, even when eating from the food stalls at the roadside. We had a villa set back from the coast (about 10 mins drive) with our own driver on call whenever we needed him. This is the link Baan Malisa The children loved elephant trekking, snorkelling and endless hours in the swimming pool! We hope to go back next year. We have been in April and November. April is extremely hot but dry, November was more bearable temperature but rainier...

wetnoodle Wed 10-Apr-13 14:56:23

We just got back from Singapore & Phuket with our 2 year old and had an amazing time. There's loads to do in Singapore with kids (zoo, night safari, river cruise to name a few). Phuket is pretty developed but we found a lovely villa in Nai Harn which has a beautiful beach but not full of tourists. Feels like the Thailand of 10-15 years ago you hear people talk about.

Here's the villa if you're interested:
m.holidaylettings.co.uk/#rentals/278929

HarrogateMum Wed 10-Apr-13 02:28:51

I am by a pool at a villa in Koh Samui as we speak,came with three DCs aged 8, 8 and 6. Met up with Aussie relatives who also have kids. I would say this is the hottest time of the year so avoid although ours seem to be coping fine and two of mine are redheads!! We are away from it all but resort wise here I would say avoid chaweng it is party central, we have been to the beach at choeng mon a few times and that is gorgeous nive quiet beach, lovely sea and I am sure some high class resorts to choose from! It's also close enough to fishermans village so you have lots of choice on restaurants and the walking street market on a Friday.

Having been to Phuket per kids I much prefer Koh Samui, less pressure from hawkers etc. Hope this helps.

specialsubject Fri 05-Apr-13 10:34:40

I don't see that Thailand is any more of a health risk than the Caribbean - both are dengue zones, and while some of Thailand is malarial those bits are easily avoided.

don't drink the water (the locals don't) and eat freshly cooked food from places used by the locals. Don't eat at hotel buffets full of food inappropriate for the climate.

same as anywhere, really.

you don't need to sleep in a bamboo hut!

Longdistance Fri 05-Apr-13 09:07:35

We're off to Phuket in 3 weeks time on a Club Med holiday, that has a kids club, but seen plenty others that do, but they weren't all inclusive.

Give me a clue, we went to St.Lucia pre kids, and the resort we stayed in was Morgan Bay. Got chatting to a couple with a LG as I was pg, and they sent her off in the afternoon to play in the kids club.

givemeaclue Fri 05-Apr-13 09:00:33

Op do share your findings would be interested to know all this. Also, where would you recommend with kids in Caribbean, we have been to Barbados, Grenada, Antigua, st Lucia but all pre kids.

VAVAV00M Fri 05-Apr-13 04:50:35

I can't link on my phone but google wikitravel Thailand. It gives you all the info you asked and is a lifesaver smile

forevermore Fri 05-Apr-13 00:15:06

It's our first time to Asia. We have done Caribbean to death. Always was unsure of what I don't know. But we have been lucky enough to have free VIRGIN Atlantic tickets (compensation - long story) for anywhere they fly except Australia. So thought why not Thailand. Thing is we have 3 and 7 year old girls. We aren't very adventurous and do not have a huge amount of money AND don't want to rough it -Thailand looks expensive for nice accommodation hmm. So my questions if you would kindly answer are:

Which school holidays to choose (weather)
Which island
Which virgin route to choose as stop over (Singapore/hong kong etc)
Extremely clean (OCD) Accommodation with kids club spa and child friendly beach
and would like somewhere with good medical facilities (paranoid about kids getting illblush)

Any tips appreciated. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now