Self Catering in Florida - What did you eat?

(36 Posts)
Perriwinkle Mon 01-Apr-13 18:10:24

I was just wondering whether everyone really only ever ended up eating all you can eat for $5 plates of burgers, pizzas, hotdogs, fried chicken, burritos, tacos and ice cream, followed by more burgers, pizzas, hotdogs, fried chicken, burritos, tacos and ice cream?

What did you end up eating most days you were there when you went self catering and is it true that vegetables really are as scarce in restaurants as I've been reading they are?

What did you find the eating out experience to be like, choice, portion and cost wise?

What about supermarkets too? Did you manage to find most things in supermarkets that you are used to having at home and how were the prices? Were things like pre packed sandwiches, fruit, drinks etc for day trips fairly cheap?

TheCatInTheHairnet Tue 09-Apr-13 03:20:20

theoriginal Sorry, but LOL at holding up the Olive Garden as a good place to eat, compared to buying fresh at Walmart!!

TheCatInTheHairnet Tue 09-Apr-13 03:37:11

Ok, having read the whole thread, if you're not going to cook for yourself,the food is all shit. It's entirely marketed to people who will never go back. No one who lives in the US would ever recommend the Olive Garden, Outback or Applebee's as a place to eat. In fact, I'd probably judge you if you did.

There is a Walmart in Kissimmee that has just enough fresh food to get by. Or don't. But, fgs, don't presume that's his Americans eat.

TheCatInTheHairnet Tue 09-Apr-13 03:37:59

*how

janji Tue 09-Apr-13 03:40:56

When not eating out we bought lots of salad and cold cuts etc with wraps and sort if dud a bit of a buffet style pick & mix.

Bartlebee Tue 09-Apr-13 04:01:43

I'm in Florida and I'd avoid Olive Garden or places of that ilk. Cheap does not necessarily equal good, sadly.

Steer clear of chain places - they might be a fun experience once but probably not to be repeated.

We tried iHop once - ridiculous quantities of really quite unpleasant, processed crap. Interesting as an experience, but the thought of 2 weeks of eating at most of these places makes me bilious. Likewise Denny's.

The only cheapo place I'm happy(ish) to go to is the Crabshack. If you're careful with the menu, you can get a good, cheap meal that doesn't involve batter or chips.

4 of us had dinner there last week, we all had fresh crab with broccoli or asparagus and it was only about $80.

theoriginalandbestrookie Tue 09-Apr-13 12:53:31

Strange how I heard US voices at Olive Garden then - perhaps they were not naice Americans .

Look i am not saying it was a gourmet experience but its within walking distance to our hotel , childrens menu comes with broccoli to DSs disgust and adult meals come with fresh salad. Oh and the house wine is drinkable. Kobe japanese steakhouse is somewhere else we liked.

I would avoid eating in the parks food is v expensive and a very rushed experience although characters made it worthwhile for us.

I guess food is very personal and everyone has a different focus.

SconeRhymesWithGone Tue 09-Apr-13 16:50:57

Of course Americans eat at Olive Garden and other chain restaurants. We live in a non-touristy part of Florida, and all of these chains are busy with local patrons.

MOSagain Sat 20-Apr-13 12:14:17

Sizzler great for breakfast lunch and dinner, good prices and lots of choice for fussy kids. Ponderosa similar but we prefer sizzler. Look for coupons in magazines (free outside most supermarkets). If you take back your receipt next trip you get discount.

Outback great but get there early as it gets busy.

Kobe is exceptional, our favourite restaurant. A very nice Japanese in celebration too which is a nice place to go in the evenings.

A good supermarket is marketplace at Formosa gardens and there is also a good Italian restaurant there as well as the outback.

MOSagain

I would also recommend you try Hanamazuki on I Drive (its south of Sandlake Road at the shopping plaza where Goodings supermarket was located).

suebfg Sat 20-Apr-13 19:32:42

We found the supermarkets to be well stocked but expensive for healthier items such as fruit and veg. We went to Florida a couple of years ago and it was reasonable but went again more recently and prices were through the roof.

suebfg Sat 20-Apr-13 19:34:30

Only ate out once in Orlando and it was very poor so we didn't do it again.

Food in the parks is expensive but what is also overlooked is the length of the queues. Take your own picnics in and you will save lots of time and money.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now