TIPS for taking a 19MNTH old on a long haul flight PLEASE?

(15 Posts)
LexieH Mon 01-Apr-13 11:23:28

Hi we are trying to decide where to go on holiday in TWO weeks time!! Still haven't booked anything because we want guaranteed sunshine and not a big time difference.

Can't seem to find anywhere (Husband refused to go to Egypt) thinking we may have to do a long flight like to the Caribbean but terrified about it with a very energetic and determined toddler...

any destination suggestions welcome?

and tips for long haul flights with a toddler welcome...

thanks x

specialsubject Mon 01-Apr-13 11:27:28

5 hour time difference to the Caribbean.

no time difference if you go down the meridian to Africa, (still long flight) or to the Canaries.

girlmadeofstorms Mon 01-Apr-13 11:32:40

Watching with interest as we'll be flying to America with a 2 year old in a few months and I'm v nervous she won't be happy with having to sit down for the majority of the flight!

Book her own seat. Take a night flight if you can. Take snacks and just get on with it really.

How about South Africa? No time difference at all!

We flew to south Africa with ds1 when he was 22 months (he's 18 now) colouring books, snacks but he slept for most of it.

I'd say take an iPad these days if you have one

JetlagandMayhem Wed 03-Apr-13 00:04:33

I live in Hong Kong but my family are all in London so I am constantly flying long-haul with my two young kids.
19 months is a particularly difficult age as they don't quite have the capacity to sit still and want to run around everywhere. That said, never let it put you off travel, you will not regret it! My top tips:
- If you can afford to, buy them their own seat at that age
- Start TV training! Get them used to watching some long episodes on a DVD player or ipad. My 17 mth old is obsessed with Oz band 'The Wiggles'
- Go to the pound shop and buy some 'surprise' toys for the plane
- Colouring in/ stickers/ magnets always a winner
- Best thing to keep a young child occupied is lots of SNACKS
- I'm a huge fan of the Ergo baby carrier. If I can't get my kid to sleep in her seat then i strap her in the Ergo and walk about jiggling her till she gets sleepy.

I write a kids travel advice site. Not sure i'm allowed to write the link here but here goes... www.jetlagandmayhem.com
Please do contact me for any advice on flying long haul and good luck!

LexieH Wed 03-Apr-13 08:03:02

ooooh JetlagandMayhem thanks loads, good tips there, thanks alot everyone else. We've still not booked anything. I forgot to mention i'm 16 weeks pregnant and we're only going for 1 week so Gambia is out and SA might be too far. thanks though everyone

x

essential1 Wed 03-Apr-13 10:31:13

Lots of really good tips for flying with little ones here

doowpro Wed 03-Apr-13 10:34:57

Why not try the very lovely Abama hotel in Tenerife? They have pregnancy spa packages and is great for small kids. Definitely sunny in April and about 4 hours away. Here's the link

dinkystinky Wed 03-Apr-13 10:39:29

Own seat, change of clothes for each of you, stock up on milk/drinks in the airside shops, take lots of little snacks - airline food is not v toddler friendly, you can keep the pushchair to the gate - check if you can pick up at the gate at the other side (some places let you, others dont), tv/dvd player is a good distraction as is iphone/ipad with some toddler friendly drawing apps, my 2 loved the little aquadraw pads/squares (just water and make a picture). You can wrap up a few small toys too and take them for walk about. If they sleep with a toy take sleepy toy and their grobag on the plane for nap time too.

dinkystinky Wed 03-Apr-13 10:40:49

Also Canaries great with little ones - we went to the Roca Nivaria in Tenerife when DS2 was 11 months and it was the most relaxing holiday in a long, long time. Also Mallorca, Lanzarote, Portugal all lovely (and v child friendly).

Clueless2727 Fri 05-Apr-13 12:19:35

I went to florida on a horrible camped thomas cook plane with a 23 month old on lap. Dvd player, mini one of those etch a sketch things, stickers and a tonne of chubb lollies as they take them ages to eat.

LeChatRouge Fri 05-Apr-13 12:23:12

My sister flew to Oz and spent 4 hours climbing up and down the spiral staircase on the plane with her toddler. He pointed to and said 'light' on each and every step.

I too would choose Canaries. It's lovely weather 25 deg today in Gran Canaria.

Jergens Sat 20-Apr-13 08:24:18

Marking spot for upcoming longhaul flight with baby and toddler...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now