Bumped by Emirates when travelling with a baby

(31 Posts)
Jolovesoz Wed 27-Mar-13 17:59:15

I wondered if anyone else has had a similar experience. I flew alone with my 15 month old from Manchester to Sydney. At Dubai we were denied boarding for our onwards flight to Sydney. I was left with a distraught child and a long wait at a transfer desk before being sent to a dirty hotel with no water. Emirates will not even discuss this complaint with me! Please let me know if anything similar has happened to you. In the meantime here's a poem about the experience!
My little emirates rap.

I wrote this Emirates rhyme
To help you save some time
To help you make a choice
And give us mums a voice

Emirates think it's fair if they resell your chair
They get more for your seat, but wait here comes the treat...

When you get to Dubai
For your Sydney onwards fly
They'll refuse to let you board
Your pleas will be ignored

Instead you'll get to queue
For hours, quite a few
Waiting to be told what delights they have to hold
They promise you a bed to rest your weary head, but first another wait as the transfer bus is late

You get to the hotel, which is grotty and has a smell
No water or any food unless your in the mood
to finish off the scraps left by the last unlucky chaps
No cot for your bubba therefore no rest for mother, no opportunity to shower or even sleep for an hour because straight away it's time to up and rise and shine. Back to Dubai to see if they'll let you fly

Emirates shame on you
Have you not got a clue?
Do you really not care, it just makes me despair!
My pleas are just ignored
But I have time and am bored
So wanted to let other families know the horrid tale of woe.
If you can make a choice, to make them hear our voice then choose not to fly with these cowboys of the sky!

From what I can now see, this hasn't happened just to me, our friends at emirates like to bump... It helps their profits jump. It's a regular thing they do to people just like you. They really just don't care what they make us bare

Please 'like' my tale of woe and help tell emirates where to go!

Jolovesoz Thu 16-May-13 07:21:31

See my experience in The Guardian money section here:
m.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/may/13/emirates-delayed-flight-sydney

BedHanger Thu 16-May-13 07:50:57

So sorry about your horrible experience - and that others above didn't believe you! How is your compensation claim going? You were treated awfully.

Bunbaker Thu 16-May-13 07:58:20

"I just think that telling everyone to never fly with Emirates with children is a little over dramatic."

I don't. If I had had that experience I would have said the same. The OP was treated appallingly. Have you no empathy?

I hope you are compensated accordingly Jolovesoz.

Jolovesoz Thu 16-May-13 18:29:20

Thanks bunmaker and bedhanger. I've submitted a claim to The Civil Aviation Authority. The Guardian contacted them and they have already indicated that my claim should be successful.
The Guardian said they've had a huge response to the article and they are following up the article this Saturday.

Bunbaker Thu 16-May-13 19:23:57

That's brilliant news. OH travels with Emirates quite frequently and now has a silver loyalty card. I told him about your experience and he thought it was appalling as well. I warned him about the short changeover time in Dubai because he changes flights there.

Good luck.

Jolovesoz Sat 18-May-13 20:40:33

Looks like quite a few people have been put in the same position by Emirates. The Guardian report that the CAA agree they should pay compensation. m.guardian.co.uk/money/2013/may/18/more-reports-emirates-delays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now