Please help me book a holiday to Orlando

(62 Posts)
SoupDreggon Sun 24-Mar-13 11:03:02

Currently looking at the Comfort Suites Maingate East with Virgin.
Me and three children (14, 12, 7).
I will not be driving as I find the thought of doing it all myself very stressful.

Travelling mid August for 14 mights. Am I mad??

YouBrokeMySmoulder Tue 26-Mar-13 22:06:06

When we were investigating offsite, i was tempted by here as it is only a mile to disney, is good value, you get a kitchen and separate sleeping spaces.

BestIsWest Thu 28-Mar-13 20:43:49

Went last year for 10 days , stayed on I-Drive, didn't hire a car. Hotel had a shuttle to/from Disney/ Universal, it was fine.

We stayed at Embassy Suites which was absolutely fine, nice big suites, good breakfast. We spent more time at Universal than Disney as DCs were older teenagers and taxis back from there to I-Drive were reasonable. Got buses to malls etc. We hired a driver too from the airport, he took us to the supermarket, he also took us to/from Kennedy and cost us far less than hiring a car.

Mirage Thu 28-Mar-13 21:00:55

My sister and I stayed at the Quality Inn on I Drive and managed fine without a car,got everywhere we needed too with no issues.It was over 20 years ago,but I think the hotel is still there and we are thinking of going again next year.

kaumana Sun 31-Mar-13 15:12:46

I've been to Orlando in excess of 10 times and have never driven. Have you looked at Down Town Disney Hotels, the Doubletree Guest Suites would be ideal for you. You also have the benefit of walking to Crossroads shopping area which has the usual fast food chains and Red Lobster etc. Also walking distance to Down Town Disney. Regular shuttles to Disney (free) and Mears shuttles to Universal etc (charge).

SofaKing Sun 31-Mar-13 15:43:27

Dh and I have been to Orlando three times pre dc and don't drive. It is fine if you stay on I drive, there is the train, buses to Disney and usually shuttles to Disney and universal.
Think the embassy suites, Howard Johnson and enclave suites all have two bed suites and are on or near i-drive.

The only thing is it will be really hot and busy that time of year, so the more planning you can do to avoid busy times and queues, the better.

Good luck, I really envy you, ds2 is only just two so it will be a while before he will be big enough to enjoy it there!

Budgiegirlbob Tue 02-Apr-13 23:44:13

I'd second Embassy Suites, we stayed in a one bedroom suite with 5 of us, but it still felt quite spacious even after 16 days. It had two queen beds, and a large sofa bed in the lounge, our two boys aged 12 and 11 shared it with no problems. Great breakfast, free evening drinks and snacks. We did hire a car, but lots of people don't, it had free shuttles to parks, and easy access to I-trolley along international drive

noisytoys Wed 03-Apr-13 00:00:20

I went to Orlando last year for 2 weeks with DH and 2 DD's. Stayed at Orlando Continental Plaza on i-drive and got the Lynx busses everywhere. Next time I will stay closer to Seaworld to avoid the transfer but its perfectly doable just using local busses which run all day and most of the night

Dustylaw Thu 04-Apr-13 00:20:15

We went to Orlando for a few days with the specific purpose of doing Harry Potter and other bits of Universal if we had the energy. Definitely didn't want to drive and wanted hassle free with minimum queues for the Harry Potter. Therefore stayed at the Hard Rock. Brilliant. The one hour headstart plus express passes were worth it. Remember not to take bags when you go to the park if at all possible (bumbags fine) or you have to go queue for lockers. If deciding to do Disney too I think it would be worth it to switch hotels midway.

Clueless2727 Fri 05-Apr-13 12:13:40

lake buena vista area is good as central, lots restaurants can walk to and downtown disney is literally 5min taxi away. We stayed at staybridge suites. Went last 2 weeks august and it was great as american kids back at school and no large crowds of schooltrips so queues for parks were all reasonable

Groovee Sun 07-Apr-13 12:35:59

There is a place at Lake Buena Vista which is close to Down Town Disney but isn't disney which is appartments where my friends stay. Think it's Vista Cay. They are very close to restaurants and love it there.

ChestysLonelyYoni Thu 11-Apr-13 23:37:33

We stayed at the Rosen inn on I Drive and took the lynx buses everywhere.
Lengthy but felt in the spirit of the holiday IYSWIM?
We bought Lynx weekly passes online before we travelled.

It's fabulous grin

cathers Mon 15-Apr-13 13:15:50

I think you have three options really,
1. Stay on I drive which can be really manic and grim in some areas and take lynx buses.
2. Stay in a / couple of themed hotels like Disney or hard rock which gives complementary transfers to their parks.
3. Stay in a residential area rental home which will give you the space and be away from the noise and put up with cab fares.

POI- as it is so humid at end August you may find getting up early and going straight to the park is better. You can get lots done before the 1-2 hour downpour @ 14.00. In which case, think again about using a Disney hotel as you will get early entry to parks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now