Please help me book a holiday to Orlando

(62 Posts)
SoupDreggon Sun 24-Mar-13 11:03:02

Currently looking at the Comfort Suites Maingate East with Virgin.
Me and three children (14, 12, 7).
I will not be driving as I find the thought of doing it all myself very stressful.

Travelling mid August for 14 mights. Am I mad??

mummymeister Sun 24-Mar-13 11:16:35

no but you will need to plan in advance otherwise it can be v expensive and lots of queues in august. also your older 2 will get more out of universal than disney so plan to be this side of disney rather than the other. why not driving Op? first thing buy the book wdw with kids and beyond disney and this will save you bags of time. whats your budget? would you be better off s/c than in a hotel.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Sun 24-Mar-13 11:18:00

Are you doing the 'Disney' thing? If so, and you don't want to drive, I'd consider staying at a Disney hotel if I were you. The all day free bus service is just the ticket if you don't want to drive. Non Disney hotels do tend to have free shuttles but they are more restrictive on times. The cost of taxis out with the shuttle times can be very expensive.

SoupDreggon Sun 24-Mar-13 11:25:10

I said why I wasn't driving in my OP - I find the whole idea of doing it all myself very stressful. I've been to the US many times before so I'm not basing it on nothing! This rules out self catering villas.

The hotel I'm looking at offers shuttles to all the main parks which may be restrictive timewise but this will be fine.

I don't really want to be confined to Disney so have ruled out Disney hotels.

Practically speaking, money is no object!

mummytime Sun 24-Mar-13 11:46:27

I would really strongly advise a Disney Hotel if you are not driving. You could then use t axis to go offDisney if you want. Or maybe have a second base at Universal or on international drive.

SoupDreggon Sun 24-Mar-13 13:00:40

Thanks but I don't want to be tied to Disney. I don't want to have to use a taxi every time I want to eat somewhere else etc.

ChippyMinton Sun 24-Mar-13 13:11:53

I've been looking for August 2014, and the advice seems to be go the second half of August when the US schools have gone back.

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Sun 24-Mar-13 13:12:47

Soup you don't have to be tied to Disney but if you don't want to drive and are relying on shuttles you are not thinking about how the heat will affect what you do and when you do it. That's fine when driving as you can come and go as you please but the shuttles are very restrictive time wise and you will end up paying a small fortune on taxis. In August the temp will be pretty high. That can wipe out an afternoon and you'll need to get taxis to get back to hotel. There will be days you'll need a later start as you'll be knackered from the day before, and you'll not get a shuttle to start mid day etc. you can start early, get back to hotel to lounge in pool then head back out for a late night if you are able to use the free bus service for Disney. You can easily spend the day at one of their water parks and then head to a late opening park etc. if money is no object then booking one of the mid to high price Disney hotels would make more sense. If you aren't wanting to do the whole Disney thing then fair enough but if you aren't driving then as long as you have enough to pay for cabs everywhere then, again, you'll be fine but it is very expensive if you don't drive but don't have access to the Disney bus service.

MTSgroupie Sun 24-Mar-13 13:18:58

If you don't want to take taxis, just to go somewhere to eat then a hotel on International Drive would be a better location.

SoupDreggon Sun 24-Mar-13 13:40:35

you are not thinking about how the heat will affect what you do

Thanks - I've been before so I do know how hot it is and how heat affects us smile (7 visits to Antigua in July/August show that it affects the kids not at all and I'm fine with a hat and a bottle of water!)

I was thinking of International Drive but dithering (which is what I do best). It's not that I want to be able to step outside and go sightseeing/mall shopping, just have breakfast/dinner out rather than the same place every time etc. I have fond memories of breakfast at Dennys and cinnamon rolls at an all you can eat buffet breakfast for example... <<puts on 5 lbs just thinking>>

Due to Scout Camp, is is the second half of August I'm looking at, which is lucky smile

bunchamunchycrunchycarrots Sun 24-Mar-13 13:46:27

Ok it seems you don't actually need any advice then smile

AnnoyingOrange Sun 24-Mar-13 13:51:07

What about two hotels in two different locations ?

I would look at hotels on International Drive (specifically the ones located south of Sandlake Road) as these are more centrally located to both Disney and Universal than where you are planning to stay in Kissimmee.

SoupDreggon Sun 24-Mar-13 14:06:20

Not sure what your problem is, bunchamunchycrunchycarrots confused

I'd thought about two hotels but if I can avoid the hassle of transferring between two, that would be preferable. With the packing up and transferring, I wonder if it's too much hassle for a one-adult-non-driving group. [dither]

South of Sandlake road... <<scurries off to look>> I think I need an old fashioned paper brochure!

SoupDreggon Sun 24-Mar-13 14:13:30

These hotels are crap at catering for families aren't they? WRT beds - all are two queens so 2 children have to share a bed. Or am I missing something?!

ChippyMinton Sun 24-Mar-13 15:13:32

This all-suites hotel was suggested by my travel agent. I thought the rooms looked good for a large family group. The only downside will be how good the hotel's own shuttles are. It's meant to be a good location for I-Drive and Disney.

Like you, we are not keen to be driving everywhere, although we probably will have a car for convenience, and take buses when we can.

NinaNannar Sun 24-Mar-13 15:15:04

there is a LOT of travelling to be done in Florida - even in winter we found it hard work. plus teh q ing that seems to happen in the summer

Being on a beach in antigua is no comparison

NinaNannar Sun 24-Mar-13 15:15:52

why not just get a villa and a car?

far easier - eat out all the time but you can have days at home then.

mummytime Sun 24-Mar-13 15:35:52

Having been to St Lucia in August and Orlando, I would say Orlando was more draining. Although whether that was because of a) lack of a sea breeze, or b) the much larger travelling distance (Antigua is 442.6 square kilometres, greater Orlando is 10,400 square kilometres).

bamboostalks Sun 24-Mar-13 15:39:41

I don't see the point of asking for advice and then blowing that advice out the water? Strange op IMO.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Sun 24-Mar-13 15:42:53

Have a look at floridays to solve the beds problem but yes they expect dc to sleep together. It is normal in the US. We did split stay Disney/Universal and had free dining, express passes at universal, magical express to and from the airport. Easy.

ChippyMinton Sun 24-Mar-13 15:44:44

Have you stayed at floridays, Smoulderv(great name btw)?

SoupDreggon Mon 25-Mar-13 07:50:35

NinaNannar Why don't I hire a villa and car? Because I am not going to drive! I've said that twice. And I am well aware of the heat because I've been there before.

bamboostalks If I've said "I am not going to drive and do not want to stay in Disney" and then saying "why don't you drive or stay in Disney" isn't really advice is it?

It's perfectly possible to do Orlando without a car. My brother has done it. It was not a problem. I thought MN may be able to offer a wider suggestion of where to stay/go about it as his requirements were slightly different to mine.

Thanks to everyone who managed to offer suggestions that actually related to what I said.

However, I kind of wish I'd never asked.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Mon 25-Mar-13 08:12:16

We properly investigated the whole thing without a car as we dont drive and looked at lots of suites and even villas that you can cab from but when I number crunched it was worth it to be on site, especially with the dining. The hard rock hotel was especially worth it with the express passes and walking to citywalk for dinner and drinks.

Chippy, we didnt stay there in the end but it is very popular on the Dibb. Just thought it was a bit expensive in the end for what it was and we were worried about the shuttles.

SoupDreggon Mon 25-Mar-13 08:13:41

At the moment it's looking like Renaissance Orlando Resort at SeaWorld, ditching private sleeping for location/transport.

I'd looked at Floridays and discounted it for some reason - but having looked at it again I can't remember why confused It offers transfers to all the parks so I really can't imagine why. I'll have another look. It may be that I saw it on the exchange page for my timeshare company but decided not to use them. However,it's offered by BA so I'll look at it again. Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now