USA products.

(28 Posts)
Darnley Sat 23-Mar-13 06:53:44

I know this has been done before but can't find it. Will be in New York for a couple of days next week and wondering what to stock up on or buy at all. Already have Tylenol on the list.
Thanks in advance...

youmaycallmeSSP Sat 23-Mar-13 12:12:43

Lucky Charms. Yum yum yum!

NatashaBee Sat 23-Mar-13 12:20:16

Makeup and beauty products are usually cheaper here, um, peanut butter m and ms and marshmallow fluff?

HuevosRancheros Sat 23-Mar-13 15:57:01

I'm being a bit dim here, but why Tylenol? It's just paracetmol, isn't it? confused

MorganK Sat 23-Mar-13 16:04:00

Advil. The worlds answer to pain relief.

NatashaBee Sat 23-Mar-13 16:44:05

Because you can buy painkillers in massive bottles of 100 or more here, I think you can only buy small bottles in the UK?

LehmanSisters Sat 23-Mar-13 16:58:12

Also not sure why Tylenol is on the list? Even the max strength is only 500mg of paracetamol in it, which is the same as the standard paracetamol doses here.

They do a Tylenol Ultra that I have had, but that is just paracetamol with caffeine and you can get that here too. They also have one that has codeine in it, but paracetamol and codeine is just the same as our cocodamol tablets here.

Sorry, can you see I know my analgesics?! grin

I'd be much more interested in the Hersheys, the Oreo double stuff biscuits, the York peppermint patties mmmmmmm......

ihatethecold Sat 23-Mar-13 17:02:51

Converse shoes grin

SeashellHoarder Sat 23-Mar-13 18:26:49

Whenever we go I always get facial wax strips - they are much more effective than ours! Can't remember the brand name though! Comes in a white box.

Also I buy dental tape which is thicker than our floss / tape

Just realised - This is only useful if you are hairy with gap teeth like me!
smile

hermioneweasley Sat 23-Mar-13 18:29:25

I stock up on m&ms you can't get here, bath &body works products, Levi's, and just enjoy things being much cheaper. iPads etc are cheaper if you are looking to splurge.

Have you dne your ESTA and got lots of small bills for endless tipping?

andadietcoke Sat 23-Mar-13 18:32:41

Naproxen. Same family as ibuprofen but only available on prescription here.

I always buy sweets, makeup and clothes as well as enough painkillers to stock a chemist.

clam Sat 23-Mar-13 18:33:04

Bath & Body Works Vanilla Sugar bubble bath and shower gel.
Advil.
Got a good laptop for dd last summer, an ipad for ds and friend brought over an ipod touch at Christmas.

clam Sat 23-Mar-13 18:34:01

Interesting to hear about Naproxen. DH lives on it. Might phone friend...

andadietcoke Sat 23-Mar-13 18:41:33

clam brand name is Aleve but there are own brand ones too.

clam Sat 23-Mar-13 18:50:19

Thanks. Will investigate...

lljkk Sat 23-Mar-13 19:11:13

I would buy huge bottle of Tylenol (boring, I know).
Melatonin.

MorganK Sat 23-Mar-13 21:30:32

Honestly- Tylenol is weak compared to Advil.

LehmanSisters Sat 23-Mar-13 22:02:39

But Advil, like Tylenol is just a brand name for a generic drug. Tylenol is the brand name of choice in the US for paracetamol and Advil is the famous brand name for ibuprofen.

A standard Advil tablet has 200mg of ibuprofen, same as a standard ibuprofen tablet here. There really isn't anything different about them.

They do liquid gels and migraine versions etc of Advil, just like the famous brand of ibuprofen (Nurofen) do here in the UK, it is just the same.

In the same way as Tylenol do Tylenol Ultra (500mg paracetamol, 65mg caffeine), here in the UK Panadol do Panadol Extra Advance which is also 500mg paracetamol and 65mg caffeine, just the same. It is just a different band name.

lljkk Sun 24-Mar-13 08:22:09

You guys are way too expert about painkillers.
I just find it a faff to only be able to buy tiny amounts at a time.

HuevosRancheros Sun 24-Mar-13 10:18:21

But if you go. to a pharmacy here, you can buy 100 paracetamol, or 100 ibuprofen...

lljkk Sun 24-Mar-13 12:38:54

Wow, fair enough, I never knew that. Are they just as cheap as 8 for 19p like in Lidl?

Darnley Sun 24-Mar-13 16:44:47

Thanks for all the info on painkillers. I will try the Advil aswell, but its more about volume than ingredient.

Will bring back lots of M and Ms as everyone loves them, especially the peanut ones.
What is Melatonin?

ananikifo Sun 24-Mar-13 17:31:54

I doubt you'll save much buying big bottles if OTC painkillers, when you can get the generic versions so cheap here. I'm sure I pay something like 16p for a box of paracetamol or ibuprofen. When I lived in Canada my giant bottles of medicine always expired before I could take them all.

I buys Always Infinity pads when I'm in North America (it's always my period when I travel! Is that just me? Sorry if tmi) and aveeno eczema hand cream but obviously everyone is different. DH only really cares about chocolate bars.

If you don't know what you would want just go shopping and see if anything strikes you.

California Baby detangler for DD1. Brilliant detangler.
Cetaphil
Haines t shirts

MsAmerica Sun 24-Mar-13 20:28:48

I had no idea that something like Tylenol would be a hot item! Maybe you should just stroll through Whole Foods and see what looks unusually interesting.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now