Los Angeles - areas to avoid?

(9 Posts)
RocherChoc Sat 16-Mar-13 20:46:01

Going to LA in two weeks, staying at venice, wanting to see universal studios, hollywood, bel air, santa monica, watts towers and maybe malibu.

We're driving.

Any safety tips welcome (been fed a shit load of horror stories, please tell me it isn't that bad?)

lljkk Sun 17-Mar-13 10:09:04

Not that bad, just keep usual wits around here. Slums can have palm trees in them.

Mirage Sun 17-Mar-13 10:22:02

Not been for many years now,but Compton and Bellflower were to be avoided.Venice at night could be a bit hairy,but fine in the day.

sannaville Tue 19-Mar-13 10:27:33

I went to LA for my 18th bday just me and my 18yr old cousin! We had a ball! We were told to be careful of muscle beach area of Venice, and crompton. We walked lots of places around orange county although prob shouldn't have at night! We did Disney at day and at night (fireworks are fab!), universal, soak city water park and Knotts Berry Farm which is awesome!!!! Fastest wooden rollercoaster. Also went to beach , shopping in Santa Monica and Manns Chinese Theatre where we got our hands set in cement. Great trip that ill remember forever! Have a good time!

Things to watch out for - leery men at night, we walked fast and made no eye contact, and their drains at roadside are huge my cousin fell down one and badly cut her leg

upinthehills Tue 19-Mar-13 10:31:54

I would add the Getty to your list of possible places to visit here. Is lovely.

homebythesea Wed 20-Mar-13 12:44:01

Venice was the only place I felt uneasy in LA! (not helpful). nB no one walks- except between parking lot and destination. lA metro ok in day but wouldn't want to go on at night- loads of hustlers etc

lljkk Thu 21-Mar-13 18:05:49

Venice is a dump.
Just MHO.

I live here and haven't felt unsafe at any point.

But then I used to live in Streatham.

Everyone will tell you to avoid Compton and Inglewood but then there isn't really any reason for a tourist to go to those areas anyway. DTLA south of the 10 isn't safe after dark, but again no real reason did you to be there anyway!

Lighthousekeeping Sun 24-Mar-13 06:40:54

I've never felt unsafe there either. I wasn't too keen on the buses though but, that won't apply to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now