Flying on United Airlines

(15 Posts)
shesariver Sat 16-Mar-13 12:39:50

Hi, we are off to California via New York in September and are flying with United Airlines from Glasgow. Never been to America before, never mind flown on United airlines and was looking for general info e.g facilities on board, food etc. Looked up their site and its unclear if you get meals provided free (we are economy) although I can see all snacks have to be paid for. Also is there TVs, DVDs etc. Just starting to plan how best to entertain ours boys (aged 5 and 11) for 9 hours. Usually if they are eating and watching films they are fine! smile

givemeaclue Sat 16-Mar-13 13:13:21

Have travelled on united, never again. We were unlucky but inflight entertainment was broken so take you own in case. Had major problem with missing connection flight which they didn't golf even though both flights united and 26 people on our flight were getting the connection. No info on what to do, luggage lost, 13 Hour delay in Chicago airport. They transferred up on to American airlines the next day.

Hope this was a one off! Good luck

givemeaclue Sat 16-Mar-13 13:14:08

Yes meals in economy (usual rubbishplane food )

andadietcoke Sat 16-Mar-13 13:14:37

You should get food and soft drinks, beer and wine is chargeable.

givemeaclue Sat 16-Mar-13 13:15:59

Sorry, they didn't hold the flight (were all at gate as they were shutting doors and then it stood there for 15. Mins anyway, could have easily boarded us all with no additional delay)

shesariver Sat 16-Mar-13 17:55:38

Oh that sounds a nightmare giveme!

Best take on some snacks then by the looks of it, are there rules what you can and cant take through security?

Hi,

You'll get a meal on longhaul but they aren't up to much anyway as an airline because they are still running one step ahead of bankruptcy and cost cutting is still very much evident. Their motto should be "not quite the worst".

If you are using them for your internal US flight as well expect nothing from them in terms of service either. Hopefully you won't get stiffed for bag fees when you make your internal flight to CA (US airlines can and do charge luggage fees for additional suitcases, its a good money spinner for them).

Take along a portable DVD player along with plenty of foodstuffs that they like; do not rely on this airline to fully provide anything.

Re foodstuffs, as long as it is not liquid based like yogurt for instance you can take foodstuffs through Glasgow without any problems. Buy soft drinks or water to take on the aircraft airside; the 100ml liquids rules still applies landside. Any uneaten items in particular fruit, meat or dairy based products should be left behind on the aircraft.

givemeaclue Sat 16-Mar-13 22:34:46

On the upside, the flight is not too long!

shesariver Sun 17-Mar-13 21:55:32

attila thats really helpful, thanks smile

SeashellHoarder Thu 21-Mar-13 22:03:22

HI river, I know I'm a bit late posting this. I just wanted to let you know our experience.
We used to fly united a lot - like 5x a year to west coast.

After the first couple of times I always took our food with us. I used to make a pasta salad and take it in plastic Tupperware.

The worst food I remember was Salisbury steak - mince beef shaped to look like steak with mashed potatoes. It's a running joke in our house!

Although this may be overkill for you as there is plenty of places to buy salads and sandwiches airside at Glasgow.

On the way back there is less choice. Airside in Californian airports there is not much that you can take on the plane to eat later.

If you have a hire car call into a supermarket on the way to the airport and pick up supplies. Trader joes, Whole foods and Fresh and easy are good bets.

I've never had an issue taking salads and sandwiches through a us airport.

Hth

shesariver Thu 21-Mar-13 22:27:51

Not late at all ! smile

Thanks so much thats very helpful information. Not been at Glasgow airport in years and years as our family holidays usually consist of driving to France (yes from West of Scotland grin...)

SeashellHoarder Fri 22-Mar-13 08:49:40

Hi river. I know that game. For some reason we always end up driving from caithness to London area rather than flying from Inverness cos "it's easier" hmm

DrHolmes Fri 22-Mar-13 15:59:53

I'm flying united airlines in Oct. I didn't know they were on the edge of bankruptcy, i am worried now!
I did read a nice story on sky news last week where a man had got on a flight home to see his mother who was dying. He had a connecting flight but before his first flight took off it was delayed. He was sure to miss the next one. He was obviously upset and the flight attendant told the pilot. The pilot radiod ahead to delay the second plane taking off. He ran to the second plane made it home and his mother died a few hours later. If the pilot hadn't delayed the flight he would not have seen his mother and been able to say goodbye.
This was united airlines.

UA filed for bankruptcy protection in the US in 2002 and had it lifted some years later. They restructured the airline in its entireity.

Perriwinkle Fri 29-Mar-13 22:49:50

I'm flying with UA to Florida in August. Their prices were very competitive and to be honest I've never eaten anything decent on an aircraft in my life or been comfortable on one either so I'm not expecting much. Air travel is the worst form of travel in my experience.

The way I look at it, if I can put up with being in labour for 24 hours, I can put up with pretty much anything for just nine hours.

I think you have to travel first class on a plane to have a genuinely pleasant experience.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now