Oz travel experts please

(11 Posts)
NightFallsFast Sun 31-Mar-13 18:34:10

We declared all over the counter medicines and some biscuits we'd bought as presents. Customs at Brisbane asked us what we had, but didn't even ask to see them and we went through with no hassle.

permaquandry Sat 16-Mar-13 21:12:09

I always fully intended to declare it. I just wondered if better in hold or hand luggage?

I have my prescriptions in their pharmacy issued boxes. Will I need any more info? My docs printed a repeat prescription sheet for me, will that be enough?

On the shelf chemist goods such as Germolene, anthisan, sudocrem, should they be declared too?

Was going to put these in hold as liquids/creams etc. should I buy small tubes (under 100mls), put them in hand luggage and declare?

I've checked the website but just wanted seasoned oz travellers experience/advice. Thanks.

If in doubt declare, declare, declare. Ask ground staff in doubt. They will mark your landing card and tell you where to go.

I went in September and took chocolate for our hosts. I declared it to customs and it was waved through.

There is a very comprehensive list of what you can take in on the Aus Customs website. I think if in doubt, declare it!

Zara1984 Sat 16-Mar-13 08:26:19

Yeah I find that people coming from UK and Europe get very very lengthy questioning and bag examination if they declare items/look unsure of themselves and what I've got.

If I'm coming through Oz from NZ, or as soon as they hear my accent I usually get through quickly as they know that Kiwis understand the rules!

ilovepicnmix Sat 16-Mar-13 08:24:38

I wouldnt take the chocolate. Even if it's allowed it wont be worth the hassle.

WhoWhatWhereWhen Sat 16-Mar-13 08:24:17

I took Jaffa Cakes back for a friend once, I declared them but it took customs 20mins to clear them

Zara1984 Sat 16-Mar-13 08:23:47

To clarify, further things that you need to declare might be shells, items made of wood etc. If you have been on a farm in the last 30 days IIRC or any camping gear with you, you will need to declare that too.

I am from NZ where there are similar rules and have been to Australia loads of times. If you're not sure, declare it.

You have to declare baby formula too, btw, if that applies to you. Dairy products and meat products are scrutinised in particular. Even if it's a dairy item in a sealed container they may not let it in depending on where it was manufactured. UK produced stuff generally ok, but if the product wrapper is not in English they are a bit iffy.

There are stiff fines and the staff are very very scary if you try and smuggle anything in.

There are usually amnesty bins before you get to the customs checks so you can dump eg any opened food items etc.

Zara1984 Sat 16-Mar-13 08:20:11

You need to declare ALL food items, this includes chocolate etc. Every single item of food that is edible, and all animal products.

The agricultural checks are after baggage claim so it doesn't matter if the food items are in checked or hand luggage.

All opened food items will have to be thrown away, no exceptions.

Don't even think of lying about whether you have got food in your bag... they have sniffer dogs and x-ray machines!!

permaquandry Sat 16-Mar-13 08:14:16

Bump?

permaquandry Fri 15-Mar-13 20:56:59

Been looking up what you need to declare when entering australia. Got mine/kids prescriptions and medicines sorted I think but are there any other obvious things that will need to be declared or must be kept in hold/hand luggage?

Taking some UK chocolate to a friend, should this be kept in hand luggage?

Any other handy tips? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now