Two year old with own seat

(13 Posts)
WhataSook Mon 11-Mar-13 20:48:34

Hi, we are flying to Aus with our DD who is 2, we have got her her own seat and dont want to take a car seat, but do we need anything else? I am glad she will have her own seat, but I think she will look so little sitting there!

Just wondered what others have done?

Alibobster Tue 12-Mar-13 14:08:48

Whatasook we took ds on holiday when he was 14 months and bought him his own seat because he was such a big boy and he was absolutely fine, didn't look swamped by it at all. Have a great trip

I think some airlines have little booster-seat things?

They should give you blanket and pillow so just comfy clothes. We always changed ds into his pyjamas. You will need to have dd on your knee for take off and landing but the cabin Crewe will give you a belt for that.

exexpat Tue 12-Mar-13 18:58:46

If she's two she will stay in her own seat for take off and landing.

They will provide a blanket and little pillow, but when mine were little I always took their own comfort blankets (cot-size duvets) to make it more likely that they'd sleep. Airline blankets are usually very synthetic, itchy and static too. Cuddly toy and PJs also a good idea. If you're in a normal row (not bulkhead) you'll probably be able to lift the armrest so that she can snuggle up and fall asleep partly on your lap.

Then see numerous previous threads on here with tips about snacks, toys etc.

Agreed. Confusing age with another post.

WhataSook Tue 12-Mar-13 20:54:20

Thanks everyone, we have spent a lot of time thinking about snacks and entertainment for DD but I had a work trip last week which got me thinking about the actual seat situation when I was on the plane!

I will definitely take her sleeping bag and was thinking of bringing a pillow too to help make it more comfortable if need be.

Why don't you want to bring a car seat? We found our kids were happier to sit in their car seats than airline seats because they were used to sitting in them, plus they are easy to sleep in. Also I have used rental car seats before in a pinch (e.g. airline lost our seat one time when it had to go in the hold of a puddle jumper) and they were gross and I didn't trust them -- straps were all twisty for one. Also baggage handlers weren't gentle with our car seat one time it went in the hold.

You can't take a uk car seat to Australia. They are illegal m

glitterbird Fri 15-Mar-13 13:56:03

I am flying to Oz next week aarrgghh!! with my 2 year old and I got one of these

kidsflysafe.com/. You will need to check with your airline that they will accept them but i think most do now, I am flying Singapore Airlines and they allow them but you do need to fit yourself. it looks pretty easy from the video and diagram provided. They are not cheap, I managed to borrow one but I have seen you can hire them on ebay

I have also taken the recommendation from another poster and bought a plastic push along toy as I anticipate we will be doing a lot of walking up and down the plane and will be useful to have something to take along

Re car seats - the law is different in Australia and they have much stricter rules so we are hiring car seats at massive expense from car hire company. So i would check the state regulations of where you are flying to as you might end up not being able to use them legally if you take your own

Good luck

Glitter, you should look at buying and then selling on or some of the baby equipment hire places that are around. Rental companies are so expensive.

Smaller child= more space to stretch out and sleep comfortably. She will be safe in her seat with her seat belt on smile

WhataSook Sat 16-Mar-13 17:15:19

Glitter - that is what I had been looking at also! But I have left it too late now I think but I do agree with olibeansmummy, that hopefully DD will be able to stretch out on the seat and sleep.

We also got a tablet and have loaded it with lots of Noddy etc. Good idea about the pully toy for the plane.

We are also flying Singapore Air next week smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now