US travellers cheques in Florida

(7 Posts)
springlike Mon 11-Mar-13 13:59:24

Off to Florida very soon and will be taking some cash but also thought I would take US dollar travellers cheques. Have used them before and seemed very easy, just like using cash really. Just a little concerned that things have changed since I last went stateside and wanted to see if anyone has recently used them in Florida and did you encounter any problems using them.

You should be okay using these in Orlando for instance as it is a major tourist destination but you will likely be asked for photo id each and every time you cash one of these things in.

Haven't seen these in wide use for years as people nowadays use credit or debit cards or pre loaded currency cards instead. If you do take some, take along the American Express ones.

I would take a mix of cash along with your debit and credit cards too (do not forget however, to tell the credit and debit card co that you will be in FL for the duration as they could otherwise put a stop marker on your card).

mummymeister Mon 11-Mar-13 20:44:24

very few people use travellers cheques tbh. you would find it much easier with a card as attila says. we did have a few places that were a bit perplexed by them and it did take longer to pay but no major problems. they are just a pain to be left with when you get home if you over order.

Isityouorme Mon 11-Mar-13 21:10:29

Have you thought about getting a foreign currency card like Caxton?

springlike Tue 12-Mar-13 10:14:34

I have looked at the foreign cash cards but Tesco's has just withdrawn their one (not sure why) and I'm just not sure about my money being on a card in case something happens with that company. I also don't want to be left at the end of the holiday with my cash on a card that I then have to pay to get back. There won't be another US trip for a few years so no point leaving it on there either. Think I will just take a credit card and cash and just put up with handling fee that I will incur! Thanks for the options!

mummytime Tue 12-Mar-13 10:30:31

What about using your Debit card from home?

Groovee Tue 12-Mar-13 16:47:32

The only place that doesn't seem to take Travellers Cheques is Golden Coral.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now