Basketball - Orlando

(8 Posts)
Paxdora Sun 10-Mar-13 12:13:41

I'm not sure when the basketball season is - hoping it falls in October ???

Can someone guide me to where I can find out about games in Orlando please?

Previous posts = I'm clearly on a roll planning our holiday - want to throw a few different things into the mix this time round grin

Earlybird Sun 10-Mar-13 12:30:18

Me again.

You'll be there right in the middle of football season (that is American football).

To see a professional team, you could go to Tampa to see the Buccaneers or to Miami to see the Dolphins (professional team games are played on Sundays unless televised and then would be on Monday or Thursday nights).

Or, you could go to one of the college games (played on Saturdays). University of Florida (in Gainsville) has one of the best teams in the country and is part of the Southeastern Conference (SEC) which is generally considered the best in America.

Earlybird Sun 10-Mar-13 12:31:48

Gainesville (sorry, spelled it wrong)

Paxdora Sun 10-Mar-13 12:48:18

Hi earlybird. Thanks again for the info.

We are only just getting into basketball and have seen a couple of games - it so much fun!

Will look up Gainesville and see if we can work that into our schedule.

Now - all I need is for someone to answer my Miami thread and ill be almost there winkgrin

Thanks again.

Earlybird Sun 10-Mar-13 12:50:22

Have just checked for you, and found that the pre-season basketball games for the 2013-2014 season begin Oct 9 (these are 'practice' matches that don't count toward season tally (sometimes teams don't play very hard in these games and sort of 'go through the motions'), and the regular season begins Oct 30.

Orlando Magic website here:

www.nba.com/magic/

Paxdora Sun 10-Mar-13 12:55:40

Fabulous. Thankyou so much.

Earlybird Sun 10-Mar-13 12:59:13

Here is a website for the University of Florida (team is called the Florida Gators):

www.gatorzone.com/football/

2013 schedule here:

www.gatorzone.com/schedule.php?sport=footb

Or, alternatively you could try Florida State University (FSU). Their team is the Seminoles (an ancient tribe of Indians). They are based out of a town called Tallahassee.

www.seminoles.com/sports/m-footbl/sched/fsu-m-footbl-sched.html

Finally I can share an obscure area of knowledge rarely (never?) needed previously on Mumsnet! grin

Paxdora Sun 10-Mar-13 13:16:50

You are awesome. Thankyou grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now