Welcome to Miami ............

(4 Posts)
Paxdora Sun 10-Mar-13 07:39:24

Hi there.

I'm looking for some tips of cool things to do in Miami (with DH and Dc(8)). We will be there in October and have a couple of days in Miami either side of just over a week in Orlando.

Very excited - this will be my 4th Orlando trip but never been to Miami before.

mummymeister Sun 10-Mar-13 12:52:22

Islamorada on florida Keys is only an hour and a half away and well worth it for a completely different florida experience. try John Pennekamp national park for glass bottom boat and snorkelling off the reef. we also went canoeing in the everglades again about 1.5 hours drive. buy a sat nav if in miami to avoid the less safe areas and be ware that the toll roads are all on prebuy not on cash which is a bit of a pain. pm me for details

Miami Bayside in the downtown area of Miami is a nice place to visit and has lots of shops and restaurants. The Big Bus Company run two tours from there; one is a city tour and the other goes to the South Beach area. Both are well doing. Miami as a city is quite spread out.

Miami has cleaned up its act over the last decade or so and its a lot safer to visit these days than in previous times. Just remember basic common sense (always be aware of your surroundings) and you will be okay.

Key West is a three hour drive from Miami itself; other areas in the Keys like Islamorada are well worth a visit. The Everglades are within easy travel distance of Miami.

The overall standard of driving in Miami is not good to say the very least!.

Budgiegirlbob Wed 03-Apr-13 01:18:04

The Thriller boat ride from Bayside Market is good, a mixture of fast power boat ride and tour of mansions on the islands. It's a bit cheesy ( they played the Miami Vice music while we rocketed along) but great fun.

South Beach and the Art Deco district are great, and Lincoln Mall is a good place to get lunch or dinner while people watching.

If you have a car, drive out along the Tamiami Trail and visit one if the airboat rides along there.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now