50th birthday - Thailand xmas recommendations please

(9 Posts)
Merguez Sat 09-Mar-13 21:51:46

I had an amazing backpacker holiday at Railay Beach some 25 years ago. Think the place is completely different now.

Would like to stay somewhere comfortable with the teenage dc, not too overdeveloped for tourism - if anywhere like that still exists in Thailand. And definitely NOT near any all night beach parties. We are planning to around xmas time.

Any recommendations?

Merguez Sun 10-Mar-13 18:02:50

bump - anyone? sure loads of you have been to Thailand!

Jcee Sun 10-Mar-13 18:09:17

A year or so ago we went to Ao Nang in Krabi and stayed at the Amari Vogue - far enough out of Krabi to be restful and away from the masses, but a short taxi ride to restaurants and the fabulous food night market. We took boat trips to nearby islands for snorkelling and swimming and it was a fabulous break.

purplesunflower Tue 12-Mar-13 19:21:22

We're planning to go to Khao Lak later this year. Not too touristy, nice beaches / diving and near a national park

GrumpyKat Sat 16-Mar-13 14:46:48

Southern end of Koh Lanta. Look at Laanta Laanta, it's gorgeous. Although there's not a great deal around the hotel, it's beautiful.

iamabadger Sat 16-Mar-13 17:23:14

Look at Relax Bay resort on Koh Lanta. Lovely beach, and they have shuttle bus to the main town where you can book trips etc.

GrumpyKat Sat 16-Mar-13 22:21:05

Ooh yes, relax bay is luffly too. I shall be on Lanta in a little over two weeks, can't wait!

iamabadger Sat 16-Mar-13 22:30:37

Fab isn't it Grumpy? The food was gorgeous.

GrumpyKat Sun 17-Mar-13 11:04:28

Indeed, the food was fab and they were (as everyone is in Thailand) absolutely brilliant with dd. We stayed at Long Beach Chalets on Long Beach too, not as undeveloped as the far south of the island but the beach is beautiful, the food is amazing and the people that own the place are the nicest, most friendly hosts you could ever hope to meet. So much so that we're going back on Wednesday (yay!).
Disclaimer: I don't work for Lanta tourism, but I probably should!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now