TV screens on Virgin Atlantic

(12 Posts)
Airhostie87 Thu 14-Mar-13 00:45:33

Hello

It depends which route you are flying on. There are only two planes left with loop system and they are currently flying on Capetown, Vancouver,Tokyo and Dubai (not every day sometimes there is a mix of new and old planes on these routes) if you are flying from Gatwick on the leisure routes you will be amazed by the new planes flying. It's all touch screen entertainment and new interiors. The refurb of the 747s were complete last year.

maisiejoe123 Thu 07-Mar-13 18:31:04

Just to make you feel better. When we flew with Thai Airlines 2 years ago they had the old system i.e the screen at the front of the cabin and no choice of films!

I believe they have upgraded now but still...

preggersbycheggers Wed 06-Mar-13 14:38:06

I should clarify. They operate an old system alongside their new systems.

preggersbycheggers Wed 06-Mar-13 14:37:37

You can't guarantee having video on demand with BA either as they still operate an old system.

If this is something you are concerned about can you take a DVD player or iPad as op has suggested.

No, aircraft type is determined by VA and is also dependent on route. Older planes tend to fly out of Gatwick, they are still updating their fleet currently. They tend to not have video on demand but the older entertainment loop system.

An alternative is to take along with you a portable DVD player.

thanks!

mummymeister Wed 06-Mar-13 13:08:11

I would start doing online checks for pricing now and do it every day or two to see how it changes in case there are any deals on PE particularly on your return flight. have had a look around and tbh you either pay for it to get it definately or you take a risk.

No, not school hols. Well, possibly flying out in half-term but definitely not flying back then.

mummymeister Wed 06-Mar-13 12:23:07

can other airlines promise it? worth a look around in case. otherwise if you really want it then it is PE is only option to be absolutely definately sure. the airlines want to sell you PE with this as one of the benefits so if E can get it too they wont tell you that until a few days before otherwise it would be rubbish marketing on their part. We recently got a flight to rome where business was less than E! worth looking out for deals. are you going in school hols?

Definitely can't afford PE and yes I really want it! If it was just me and DH that would be ok but with 2 kids, we had to keep pausing the films last time and I couldn't bear it if we didn't have that again! The films were the only thing that got us through the flight! (to orlando, btw, so a 10 hour flight).

mummymeister Wed 06-Mar-13 11:04:54

if you fly premium economy or whatever it is virgin call it then you can. otherwise if you fly economy then its pot luck on which plane. this is one of the reasons why we went PE with british airways. go onto the VA website and look to book the upgrade and see what the dropdown menu says about what you get with the next step up from Economy. is it a long flight? will it matter?

You know how some of the Virgin Atlantic flights have screens that are like individual DVD players and you can start a film whenever you want, pause it etc., but some of them show the films 'on loop' and you can only watch them when they're on and can't pause them? Well is there any way to choose which you get when booking your flight? As far as I understand, it depends on the aircraft type and the aircraft aren't allocated until much nearer the time, so I'm presuming you can't choose sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now