Kids snacks for longhaul flights

(10 Posts)
blackpoppy Sun 03-Mar-13 19:18:44

Just that really. Got a 24h flight to do with 2 kids 3 and 5 and can't think what to pack for them to snack on for the journey? Anyone else done it recently and took things that went down well?

mummytime Sun 03-Mar-13 19:27:54

I normally just rely on airline food. I would also suggest you are careful with what you do take and whether it is allowed at your destination.

earlyriser Sun 03-Mar-13 19:34:42

I had a small suitcase full of mini packs of raisins/oatcakes/ cashew nuts/ fruit bars/ cereal bars/ those fruit hearts made from fruit juice etc etc etc (tried to avoid too many sugary snacks, but did have some sweeties for take off and landing. Also gave them a packet of sugar free sweets each.

They weren't hungry, never ate any of the airline food (except crackers) but drank lots! Took a suitcase full of the above snacks all the way home again and completely forgot to declare any of them at customs blush

mummymeister Sun 03-Mar-13 22:37:15

with lo wrap the snacks up and make it part of a game - they choose from a bag they guess what it is etc. try and buy favourites but also half of them new ones. agree that too much sugar makes them hyper and choc thirsty. would be more worried about how to keep them entertained than fed tbh.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Sun 03-Mar-13 22:40:15

Nothing that will squash too easily!

Sandwiches can go in lunch boxes obviously, but then you're left with the empty boxes that are just a pita!

Take along what they like to eat. Do not rely on the airline to fully provide, some airline meals for adults let alone children can be of poor quality (also they can forget to bring on enough childrens meals; have seen that scenario before now).

Any uneaten fruit, dairy or meat products however, should be left behind on the aircraft after you've made the first stop on your travels.

Rice cakes, sausage rolls, dairylea lunchables and brioche. One of them will not touch airline food ever. He survives on brioche. The greedy one eats the airline meal plus the food in his bag.

MOSagain Tue 05-Mar-13 09:15:59

I'd NEVER rely on airline food. Too many occasions where they hadn't got a meal that had been ordered and confirmed.

We always take things like boxes of rice raisins, rice cakes, yo bears and if its going to be lunch time shortly after departure, I take a packed lunch with ham/jam sandwiches, sausages, mini eggs etc.

Take lots!! Ds (3.7 at the time) was brilliant on the flight and is usually a really good eater, but he didn't want any of the aeroplane food! He only picked at it. Also, the stupid company we booked with forgot to order him a child's meal, so on the 1st leg of the flight he had a choice of chicken jalfrezi, very rich lamb in red wine sauce, or something else spicy, which would be fine on normal circumstances but he wasn't interested on the plane. Also the desert was ice cream with alcohol in, which I ended up letting him have because there was nothing else (bad mummy). Luckily singapore airlines were fab and sorted it out for the next flight smile

Snacks I took were:

Cereal bars
Ritz crackers
Apple ( couldn't take off plane)
Small chocolate bar

But next time I'd take more!

kelly14 Thu 07-Mar-13 21:51:48

Never taken snacks ever! only fly emirates and there childrens meals are fanastic!! as well as a great meal ( which unless travelling business the childrens meals are better than adults meals) they also get a starter, dessert, roll and cheese and a snack box with crisps, chocolate bar, yoghurt covered raisins and something else.

My dd (8) is amazing eater, loves her veg, eats anything and lots of it even though skinny ribs, but she will not eat anything on a plane!! even when we fly to oz! she just seems to go into flight zone and just doesnt fancy anything! so i eat it!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now