Florida- May half term

(12 Posts)
Rosvita Sun 10-Mar-13 12:26:32

Hi guys I'm planning on taking the kids in 2015 as it's a big birthday (30).the kids will be 6 or 7 and 4.i'd rather not take the kids out of school (not sure if they'll authorise it) but was thinking 10day hol over feb half term,Easter,may half term or October half term (obviously might need to miss a couple of days of school if overlaps term time by a few days).i have been told Easter is really busy though?so which of the other times do you think would be best (for crowds,weather,cost etc)someone else had also suggested the last 2 weeks in August.any advice appreciated.
How exciting ruthiebabies -I will need until 2015 to save too on my midwife wage!

Hollybe Sat 09-Mar-13 23:04:00

Try www.ownersrentals.com great for finding holiday rentals in Florida, they have hundreds of places to choose from. We always get a good deal with them.

Ruthiebabes Sat 02-Mar-13 20:30:46

Thanks for all your advice. This holiday is going to take a lot of planning- but I LOVE planning hols.. just wish I was a travel agent instead of a nurse!!

MOSagain Sat 02-Mar-13 12:13:33

Think most schools don't allow holidays in May due to SATS and other assessments but are more flexible at other times.

Definitely recommend BA into Tampa, must cheaper than into Orlando International. Try and book 11 months in advance for best prices. Unlike other destinations, prices tend not to go down nearer the departure time.

For villas, look at Loyalty Homes, a company owned and managed by an english lady who only manages luxury homes within 4 miles of Disney, most of which have private pools. www.loyaltyusa.com This is one of the homes they manage: http://www.ownersdirect.co.uk/usa/F1895.htm

Fluffy1234 Sat 02-Mar-13 10:58:18

How about a 10 day trip around Feb half term? I often go somewhere long haul then as flights can be the same time as term time.

Easter Monday in 2015 is April 6th. They may even have the holiday term dates up for your school already; its worth having a look on either that or your county's website.

I would go around this date if you can or go at Christmas as schools have two weeks off then.

School could well deny you permission to take your son out for a week during his SATS year (infact we were all told by school that no permission for absense from school due to holiday time during any of Y6 would be granted!).

At 11, your eldest too would then be charged full adult fare by the airlines. That is a cost to be borne in mind. BA are the only airline to fly direct into Tampa and that service leaves from Gatwick.

mummymeister Fri 01-Mar-13 22:23:49

we have taken our 3 out twice for 2 weeks. on the proviso that they do extra work before we go, buddy up with classmates for photocopied work whilst we are away and then do extra work when we return. first time they were 9, 11, 13 and this time 10,12 and 14. i know some parents will disapprove but the school were OK with it and the second time were positively relaxed as they knew we were being careful. tbh i would take them out at 8 and 11 but understand not everyone feels like me. agree that Oct is better or if poss before and over Xmas.

Ruthiebabes Fri 01-Mar-13 20:34:49

Yes Im in England, need to check that as my eldest will be doing his SATS!

ByTheWay1 Fri 01-Mar-13 19:52:00

Are you in England? May is not usually a good time for school absence - SATs, residential trips etc (we were told no authorised absence allowed at all in May in SATs year)- we found October was better - weather milder and special events on for Halloween.. and not much happening at school for us then.

Ruthiebabes Fri 01-Mar-13 19:41:13

Boys will then be 11 and 8, so really cannot take them out of school for any more than a week!! Not keen on August due to humidity and storms. So thats why I am considering May.

mummymeister Fri 01-Mar-13 19:35:21

loads of other threads about WDW on here at the moment so suggest you trawl them. ime school hols are really busy. if you have any option go outside school hols. also have a look at accuweather site as it can be pretty warm in May/June. how old are your kids.

Ruthiebabes Fri 01-Mar-13 19:04:47

Not this year!!! Planning well ahead as need to save first! Hopefully for 2015!

Would May half term (with a week either before of after) be a good time to visit Orlando? Thinking about 12 nights in Orlando and 4 nights in Clearwater.

I have found some good threads on here regarding going DIY, and plan to fly to Tampa as cheaper.

Any thoughts?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now