Pay as you go SIM card for using mobile in US

(9 Posts)
Belo Mon 25-Feb-13 12:30:21

Does anybody know if such a thing exists? I've got an old AT&T iPhone (unlocked, I've used it on Vodafone over here) which I would like to use whilst on holiday in California in 4 weeks time. Is there a US equivalent of Giff Gaff? I want data usage, and calls/texts. The only options I've found seem to be $80 or more. An equivalent in the UK would be much cheaper. Am I searching for the wrong thing? Does anybody know of such a SIM card?

Thank you!

haggisaggis Mon 25-Feb-13 12:42:04

Can you buy a cheap prepaid cell instead? We do that- but we only use ours for calls - not sure about texting etc.

mummymeister Mon 25-Feb-13 13:22:28

agree with haggis. we buy a cheap phone when there. would it not be easier to take your laptop and use wifi most places have it for free.

Belo Mon 25-Feb-13 14:14:24

It is mostly for the data usage that I want it. And the maps. I've got so used to using google maps on my phone. Last time I went I was lost without it! Also, for the GPS on my phone. My brother has got a cheap prepaid cell that I can use, but I'm being ungrateful and looking for more than he's offering! However, I don't want to spend $80! So, I want it all and I don't want to have to pay grin

Belo Wed 27-Feb-13 11:23:13

Bump? (Optimistically...)

EldonAve Wed 27-Feb-13 11:27:30

cellphone costs are a lot higher in the US than here so $80 sounds ok to me

Belo Wed 27-Feb-13 14:48:12

Crikey. Maybe Giff Gaff should expand across the waters. Looks like there is a gap in the market for cheap pay as you go data.

it is the data that kills. How much data are you likely to use?

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html

AT&T seem to have one for $65 which gives you 1GB, would that be enough?

or you could do the $25 plan with an add on $25 1gb of data.

What about Straight Talk..??

http://www.straighttalksim.com/shop.php

NickEkit Tue 12-Mar-13 12:43:41

Hi Belo - your best and cheapest bet is to find a local SIM with a good data rate. If that's no good, then you could try an international SIM card like the ones sold by www.gosim.com. These are specifically designed for international travel and while local rates are always going to be cheaper, their rates are significantly better than roaming rates using your regular SIM card. It's a pay-as-you go SIM, so you pay for everything up front and there are no hidden charges or expenses - everything is clearly laid out and explained. You get a UK and US phone number, and there are a range of other services and an excellent customer service function. Data can be a bit expensive, so I definitely suggest making the most of free wifi where you can.

Hope this helps!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now