Anyone flown on the A380 - economy class?

(16 Posts)
Mosschops30 Wed 20-Feb-13 18:19:21

I want to fly in either the smaller front cabin, or smaller rear cabin

My mum will be upstairs in business class so for ease of seeing her the rear would be better, but just wondering about engine noise. Some reports saying you cant hear the engines.

Would be nice to know where you sat and whether youd recommend it

VivaLeBeaver Wed 20-Feb-13 18:23:45

I've been on it, think I sat right on the back row. I don't remember any engine noise. I've also sat more in the middle in the main area.

www.seatguru.com/airlines/Emirates_Airlines/Emirates_Airlines_Airbus_A380.php

Mosschops30 Wed 20-Feb-13 18:27:47

Whats it like viva is it amazing grin im very excited

VivaLeBeaver Wed 20-Feb-13 18:32:09

Mmmm, big aluminium thing with wings that cruises at about 30,000 feet. grin

Are you flying with Emirates? They have individual tv screens for each seat which is neat. Not sure if all a380s have it, probably.

Are you going somewhere nice?

MsTimTam Wed 20-Feb-13 18:33:06

I flew Dubai to Sydney and back on the A380 a few years ago. Amazing - seats slightly wider than normal and the engine noise remarkably less than a normal plane.

When I got back on the normal plane to fly from Dubai to Glasgow there was a noticeable difference in comfort and noise.

If I had an option, I'd like to always fly long haul on an A380.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 20-Feb-13 18:33:53

Oh and the one amazing thing, on the tv screen they had a channel which showed a forward camera and another channel had a downwards camera.

So you can watch take offs and landings, taxing along the runway, when you're flying low coming into Dubai you could see the desert and the floating palm island thingy.

Mosschops30 Wed 20-Feb-13 19:03:50

Going to Dubai, my mum then carries on to New Zealand on her own.

Thanks for the info.

mstimtam where did u sit?

Think i might go for the back

GettingObsessive Wed 20-Feb-13 19:07:52

I flew on an A380 to KL with Malaysia Airlines. The camera but is quite weird and apparently compulsory viewing on take off confused

I'm afraid I can't say that I thought it was any better or worse than a big Boeing. I wear noise cancelling headphones though, which I find helps.

Morgan Wed 20-Feb-13 19:16:36

It's really quiet which is lovely - not straining to hear the TV . I sat at the front of economy near the steps to business .

specialsubject Wed 20-Feb-13 19:22:54

bit quieter and noticeably huge, but otherwise just an aeroplane. Economy long-haul has got pretty good in the last few years.

Try seatguru.com to assist with choice. Obviously your mum will have to come down to you.

MsTimTam Wed 20-Feb-13 20:38:37

Hmmm, I think I was towards the front/middle-ish, sorry I can't really remember.

IDontKnowWhereMyMedalsAre Mon 25-Feb-13 02:39:20

We have flown many times on the A380 inclu the first flight of Manchester. Honestly it doesn't matter where you sit. If you are in the front bit everyone has to walk past you, also if you are on the right hand side there everyone queues for the loo. Just reading this I forgot all planes don't have individual tvs and 3 meal choices and 100's of films and a free bar. Enjoy your trip and despite all you read on here Dubai is a fabulous place.

Campaign1 Sat 02-Mar-13 08:39:14

I have flown with my 2 boys long haul to Australia many times including several times on the A380. However, each airline that uses the A380 configures their economy cabins slightly differently. For instance on the Singapore Airlines A380, they have a small economy section upstairs behind business class which is my preferred area. They have a middle row of 3 seats which is perfect when travelling as a mum with 2 kids as you can sit in the centre and both children can exit to an aisle without waking the other.

We flew on an a380 to Australia and found it loads better than the 777 we flew back on. It was sooo smooth that even I ( who has a massive fear of flying) didn't feel scared and the engine noise is quiter, also helping to keep me calm smile we sat in the middle and at the back and it wasn't any different.

maisiejoe123 Thu 07-Mar-13 18:44:15

Very jealous of your Mum in Business Class. So, so expensive but lovely. Once went Upper Class on Virgin as they had an offer on.l So relaxing but sadly only for special special occasions....

kelly14 Thu 07-Mar-13 21:58:21

If emirates then i would sit at the back of the plane which will be by the stairs to business class. this way your mum can come down to see you and have a bit of room to talk as otherwise you will just be stuck in aisle with people walking by. If possible i would upgrade if you can, as the bar at the back is brilliant and they just bring out amazing food as and when you request off the bar menu!

I have just upgraded to business (finally! have not been able to upgrade for about last 10 flights!!) as have so many airmiles with emirates! off to oz on the 20th march for a month! stopping off in dubai for a night as my dds birthday and she wants to spend it with her cousins in dubai and parents live their and they coming to oz with us so need to stop and travel togther anyway as this is my 30th birthday present from them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now