visa for Oz?

(7 Posts)
permaquandry Fri 15-Feb-13 14:51:34

Going ona 3 week hol to oz with transit stop to singapore.

Been told you need a visa, which is about 20 quid. Been on official website which takes you to a link for an application FREE of CHARGE.

Is this the right thing to aply for, I am worried in case it's the wrong thing! Thanks in advance.

PandaNot Fri 15-Feb-13 15:00:29

Its 20 AUS $ and you get it through the official site. It's called something like an electronic travel authority? It's been a while since I've been so the details are a bit hazy!

singaporeswing Fri 15-Feb-13 15:05:54

I've been to Australia twice in the past month and have never paid for my visa. If you're a British passport holder, it should be free and lasts for a year from when you first enter. Never had any problems and it takes about 2 hours or so to be processed and come through.

MN216 Fri 15-Feb-13 15:06:31

EU passport holders need eVistor - link is via official website. make sure you have 6 months validity at least (from return date) on your passports though, def need for Singapore although can't remember for Oz.

specialsubject Fri 15-Feb-13 15:08:08

here is the site. Use no other. It is 20 Aussie dollars which is thirteen pounds (ouch!)

https://www.eta.immi.gov.au/ETA/etas.jsp

will give you three months in Oz if you are from one of the approved countries. Do it at least a few days ahead, if your passport isn't going to change before you leave you might as well do it now.

you don't get any paper so make a note of the ETA authorisation number.

specialsubject Fri 15-Feb-13 15:12:11

OMG. Sorry. It has all changed since I was last there!

if you are British you want an e-visitor visa, and it is free.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visawizard/

(slaps head)

permaquandry Fri 15-Feb-13 18:11:24

Thanks so much! This is good news as the holiday cost is already ramping up and we're not even there yet?

Wondering if I need one for Singapore to, although only transiting?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now