Orlando - Disney and Universal or Just Disney?

(38 Posts)
theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 11-Feb-13 17:48:06

Hi there - we are off to Orlando at Easter - can't wait !

General consensus seems to be we should do Disney only - DS will be 7, we're going for 13 nights and DH is also keen to go to Cape Kennedy.

Thing is I don't think DH is altogether keen on going and has said that he wants to do Univeral as well to get it out of the way.

Is it feasible to do the two parks in that time, and I know that its actually 5 for Disney plus 2 for Universal? I don't want to waste money on the Universal tickets if we don't use them, but also I don't want to have to pay walk up rates as I think it would be almost the same for one day as it is for two weeks bought in the UK.

Thanks for any advice.

SorrelForbes Mon 11-Feb-13 17:55:26

I think 1 day passes for Universal are cheaper on the gate than buying in advance. I would definitely recommend going to at least one of the Universal parks. Perhaps Islands of Adventure as it had the new Harry Potter attraction.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 11-Feb-13 17:59:00

Thanks sorrell - is The Simpsons at that one as well?

SorrelForbes Mon 11-Feb-13 18:01:36

I think The Simpsons ride is at the Universal Studios (other park)

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 11-Feb-13 18:07:56

Bummer. DS will want to see both. The 14 day Universal pass is £100 for adults and £90 for DS. Do you know how much it is likely to be at the gate - its coming out at around £57 for adults for one park I think?

MortifiedAdams Mon 11-Feb-13 18:09:25

Definetly possible to do it all. Epcot and Animal Kingdom are one day max each, Magic Kingdom two days if only for all the shows. Universal.one day and Harry Potter another day. Busch Gardens one day. Sea World another if you fancy. Fit.in one or two waterpark days.

Id knock Cape Kennedy on the head - dull as dishwater.

SorrelForbes Mon 11-Feb-13 18:11:08

Aw we love the Kennedy Space Centre geeky sciency DH and DSC

tiredemma Mon 11-Feb-13 18:13:28

Universal Islands of Adventure is better than ANY of the Disney parks.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 11-Feb-13 18:24:28

We aren't planning to do Busch gardens or sea world.

I don't fancy Kennedy Space centre at all. It will consist of DH walking round the exhibit verrrry slllllowwwly whilst I try to calm down an overexcited 7 year old overly stimulated after too many days at theme parks.

However DH is very excited about it, bless, so we shall be going.

Good to know that others think we have time to do both. Think I'll get the universal 14 day tickets so we have lots of options.

Startail Mon 11-Feb-13 18:26:30

Check heights, we didn't do universal because 5y DD2 didn't reach the heights for the best stuff at universal.

She just brushed the water park limit.

Universal and Bush gardens are bigger rides. Disney is all aimed to be all ages.

Groovee Mon 11-Feb-13 18:26:42

We're going in June and got combo tickets for Disney/Universal for £355 each as our kids are classed as adults. Although last time we went universal was dead and we did 2 parks in about 7 hours.

Hulababy Mon 11-Feb-13 18:32:28

We got our tickets from here: http://www.undercovertourist.com/orlando.html?AID=2331734&PID=1658918 They came really fast, had been recommended to us by others who have used them and they were as competitive as any of the other sites we looked at.
IME it is always cheaper to buy in advance.

How long as you there for?

I would always do Disney and Universal. Loads of stuff for all ages at both, and all very different parks.
We have done SeaWorld in past but we don't bother now. It's my least favourite park.
Never done Busch Gardens. It's a long drive and aimed at older children/adults as the rides are much bigger.
Love Space Centre and definitely worth a visit.

We are off for a week next week :D We have tickets for all 4 Disney parks and the 2 Universal. As only for a week we have non hopper tickets - and enough to do each park once. 6 full park days for 6 full days there.

When we go for a fortnight it works out cheaper to buy the 2 week tickets for both - the two week is normally the same price as one week. We do parks every day, with a day at the space centre and maybe a day at the beach at most. We've never done the rest days people talk of - never felt the need fatigue wise, and just want to be out doing it all!We also will do a couple of half days at each of the two water parks (inc in price of the hopper Disney tickets) but then either go to another Disney park in the afternoon or maybe a meal out and a mall trip.

The Simpsons ride (which is fab) is indeed in the original Universal Studios park.

Tip re Islands of Adventure; do not bother riding the pteradactyl type soaring ride in the Jurassic Park section of this park; its a long wait for very little amusement. There are far better rides there. Harry Potter World is often rammed particularly later in the day.

You'll have plenty of time to see both Universal parks (a day at each) plus a couple of days at Disney. The Spiderman sim ride in Islands of Adventure is particularly good.

Do check height requirements in advance re rides as they are strict on these for obvious reasons.

The prices you quoted sound about right; all these theme parks are expensive but your child will pay a child rate (when he becomes 10 you'll be paying adult price for admittance for him!).

I'm no space buff but I did enjoy my day out at KSC.

Any time for shopping; you have the Florida Mall and Mall at Millenia.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 11-Feb-13 18:41:05

Hi we are there for a fortnight. Disney tickets are coming out at £250 for the fortnight so £350 per adult for both sets (gulp). Parents were meant to be buying Disney tickets as Christmas present but bizarrely bought me clingfilm instead hmm

DS is scraping 122cm ( DH had a bit of a altrication with the tree tops people at Centre Parcs at teh weekend so I'm hoping to avoid that situation again.

Attila - good tip about the shopping. It's my birthday when we are there and I hate water parks, so have asked DH if he can take DS to one of the Disney water parks for the day and I can do some shopping. Knowing DH though he will want to come too grin he doesn't like to miss out.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 11-Feb-13 18:42:31

Hula - thats a good idea re the half day at the water parks - I was reckoning a full day and I really hate water parks, so a half day with something else sounds much better.

Hulababy Mon 11-Feb-13 18:44:30

I also hate water parks! The advantage of the hopper tickets means you don't ind doing a half day in a park after you've been forced to the water ones! But have to say that DH and DD love them.

The park tickets are expensive but once they are bought that is all your entertainment for the fortnight.

CockBollocks Mon 11-Feb-13 18:50:21

Oooooh the Mall at Millenia, I bought a pair of Jimmy Choos & a Gucci handbag there before the children sucked all the money dry.

Universal Studios is great, some of they disney parks are half days tbh - I wasn't that keen on Epcot.

DP really wants to take the kids to Gatorland - I would rather feed myself to the gators than go through that again!!

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 11-Feb-13 18:58:52

I'm more of a lower end shopper I suspect - have never been particularly wowed by US clothing offerings before when I have been, but I guess the novelty of being a 8/10 will make the experience enjoyable enough grin

Yes Gatorland would make me want to knaw my own arm off too.

Suspect DH will want to bring us to natural springs outside of Disney for "rest" days. I wouldn't mind a day at the beach though.

Hulababy Mon 11-Feb-13 19:31:03

Yes - we are not shoppers either, never see any decent offers tbh. But we half a half day to look around. DD is getting a bit older now - she's nearly 11, so it won;t be long til she might want to shop!

Never done gatorland. TBH if you drive to the space centre you see plenty by the side of the motorway anyway!

This time next week I'll be in our second park of the week - Islands of Adventure, for Harry Potter, I think. DD has it all planned based on the crowd calendars from the site I linked to!

Groovee Mon 11-Feb-13 20:21:35

We've been recommended the alamonte mall for shopping.

I didn't rate universal much (last year) but at the time dd was 3 and apart from dr Seuss world, which could be completed in less than an hour there wasn't much for her. I do remember thinking it would be much better for older children though and I would take her back when she's 13+.

If you fancy some fireworks at night I would absolutely recommend Hollywood studios as you can sit down and rest while watching rather than stand for hours like at the magic kingdom. The show is also just as spectacular but in a different way.

We quite enjoyed Florida premium outlet stores which have a huge gap, guess, Levi's, Lacoste, Ralph Lauren, tommy hilfiger, sunglasses hut, y2 and Barneys so loads not too crazy expensive.

theoriginalandbestrookie Mon 11-Feb-13 22:30:33

Thanks, some useful tips. For the shopping the resort we are staying at offers a free shuttle bus service to one of the malls, as DH will be taking DS to waterpark, that's probably the one I will end up going to.

I have my unofficial guide to disney which also does a wee bit on Universal so I will check on the height restrictions. As long as DS can do a few things, it will be fine.

Groovee Tue 12-Feb-13 20:21:54

Get the brits guide too as it's very helpful, Mine is hidden as the kids don't know yet.

Hulababy Tue 12-Feb-13 20:31:25

IME there is lots for little ones at the Universal parks. DD was only 2y the first time and she had a great time, going on rides and in all the water play areas. Every time we have been since she can go on more and more.

The websites all tell you the height limits.

theoriginalandbestrookie Tue 12-Feb-13 22:16:05

Thanks grovee I have ordered the brits guide.
I will be getting tickets for Disney and Universal as soon as funds allow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now