Hawaii?

(13 Posts)
givemeaclue Mon 11-Feb-13 14:01:55

For next year, anyone been with kids? Can you fly directi, any recommended places? Costs?

May be confined to school hols, he so which is best time for weather? Easter or summer?

MrsBucketxx Mon 11-Feb-13 14:06:52

I have been to wakkiki but not with children. this could be a head ache with such a long hall flight
the weather is the same pretty much all year round, so its when you want to go.

givemeaclue Mon 11-Feb-13 14:11:13

How long is the flight ?

MrsBucketxx Mon 11-Feb-13 14:23:01

it was 6 hours to newark, then another 15 hours to wakkiki.

the place itself is amazing, lovely beaches restaurants shopping, id love to go back but this time to the big island or Kauai.

we stayed at the hilton I couldn't recommended it more.

MrsBucketxx Mon 11-Feb-13 14:30:21

I stayed here http://www.hiltonhawaiianvillage.com/

No direct flights because its too far away from the UK to do in one flight. Also you would need to break the journey each way as the flight schedules do not always tie up.

Some US based carriers like AA and United fly to the islands from the West Coast; however, they could well sting you for additional luggage fees.

The flights we take usually are one to the West Coast which is about 10.5 - 11 hours then the next day or day after its just under a further 6 hours to the Islands (Hawaiian Islands are about 3000 miles away from the US mainland).

Second Hilton Hawaiian Village on Oahu and they've completed their renovations of some of their rooms and facilities further (Do not stay in the Diamond Head Tower though. Look at the Tapa, Kalia, Rainbow or Ali'i Tower on this resort instead). Weather all year round is good, would suggest summer for a visit.

MrsBucketxx Mon 11-Feb-13 15:08:12

I was in the rainbow tower,

Fluffy1234 Mon 11-Feb-13 16:47:26

You could break the journey with a couple of days in L.A. Perhaps take the DC to Disney in California.

givemeaclue Tue 12-Feb-13 11:25:07

Thanks all, lots to think about!

specialsubject Tue 12-Feb-13 14:43:59

Hawaii is a very, very, long way away.

Waikiki is Tenerife with lots of Japanese, and warmer water - I thought that the beaches on Tenerife were better, water off Oahu is shallow and not that clean. There is a lovely snorkelling place nearby though.

It has a big 'wow, I'm in Hawaii' factor but apart from that Waikiki is just shops for tat, restaurants and hotels. Oahu has a good bus network but it takes ages to get anywhere due to terrible traffic. Very hot and humid. Dark at 6pm. Take care in dark corners and stay off quiet beaches after dark.

Big Island is fantastic, lots to do and see (volcanoes, Kona Coast, Mauna Kea) but expensive due to being in the middle of nowhere.

If it is just for a beach holiday, I wouldn't bother due to the massive distance.

givemeaclue Tue 12-Feb-13 15:36:02

Thank you

Fluffy1234 Tue 12-Feb-13 15:43:19

I'd love to go, even more so after seeing the George Clooney film that was out I think last year. It just looks amazing.

OneLieIn Tue 12-Feb-13 15:45:35

V long flight of 12 to LA and 5 or 6 put.

Really really not worth it, full of trashy Americans and big hotels. Just like Florida IMHO.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now