Tips for trip to Deep South please

(11 Posts)
MrsCuldesac Sun 10-Feb-13 18:01:53

We're off to Atlanta, Memphis, Nashville and New Orleans at the end of March. Been alerted to the need to repel mosquitoes - any product recommendations or treatments if we get bitten? Any other health-related tips, please - or any recommendations for "must-see" or "must avoid" experiences (I'm thinking swamp tour, Grand Ole Oprey, French Quarter etc). Thanks in advance

rubyrubyruby Sat 16-Feb-13 20:23:35

My friend went to Bali this year and used s product that you spray on your clothes that repels Mosquitos - it's lasts through washing too'
Not sure what its called but can find out if needed,

broadsheetbabe Sat 16-Feb-13 21:17:20

For ideas and suggestions on more unusual places to see, log on to www.roadsideamerica.com

We always use this website when we plan road trips.

Memphis is awesome... BB King's, Graceland and one of my favourites, the Peabody Ducks.

Have fun!

andadietcoke Sat 16-Feb-13 21:26:13

We did five of the southern states at Christmas, and spent three nights in New Orleans. We went to the NFL (but don't think that's an option in march), to the cemetery, wandered round the French quarter, did a cooking class, ate lots (commanders palace in the garden district was our NYE treat meal), and as we had a hire car drove across to the lower ninth ward.

Have fun. The other places we stayed in were Houston, Texas, Biloxi, Mississippi and Pensacola Beach, Florida. We also went to Breaux Bridge, Louisiana and Mobile, Alabama if any of those are on your itinerary and I can help with anything!

ujjayi Thu 21-Feb-13 01:18:16

I did pretty much the same trip as you OP 15 years ago grin.

Agree Memphis good fun - BB Kings Blues Bar and of course Graceland. People leave mementoes at Elvis' grave (worth considering if you're a fan) and the house itself is a shrine to 70s bad taste....carpeted walls anyone? grin

Nashville: I don't think I've seen so many stetson wearers in one place! The Grand Ole Opry is worth a visit. (Tammy Wynette died 2 days before we got there and the place was awash with tributes.)

New Orleans: I don't know how much this will have changed thanks to Katrina. However, my favourite memories are: sitting on the balcony of the Cafe Royal on a balmy afternoon, eating jumbalya, drinking ice cold beer and listening to an all female jazz quartet play in the street below. And eating at the Maison du Preservation Jazz.

I seem to remember Bourbon Street is the main tourist drag thru the french quarter. Personally I hated it - lots of v trashy and badly played blues bars together with what I believe the americans call "titty bars".

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 21-Feb-13 01:57:17

Memphis: Central Barbecue: one of the best pulled pork sandwiches anywhere

New Orleans: Napoleon House bar and cafe: very atmospheric and authentic

I am a native Southerner (Georgia) still in the South (and yes Florida counts) so welcome, y'all!

monsterchild Thu 21-Feb-13 02:01:38

Avon Skin so Soft repels mosquitoes very well. As do most things with pyrethrins (sp) in them (those are the clothes products).
If you get bitten, try not to scratch it!

Lots of things to see depending on your interests. Coca-Cola has a huge museum there, as it originated in Atlanta.

SconeRhymesWithGone Thu 21-Feb-13 02:17:55

andadietcoke mentioned NFL; yes football season is over, but it is possible, depending on whether you are there in early April, that you could see a major league baseball game in Atlanta. (Baseball season opens March 31.) Baseball is great fun, and the food in the ballpark is an experience in itself.

MrsCuldesac Sat 02-Mar-13 19:26:42

Thanks to all for the tips - especially the food and drink related ones! Got a little mossie bite zapper gizmo that's meant to help stop itching. I quite like seeing the corny tourist must-sees but also like to have something a bit special to do - which posters above have given me excellent ideas.

Nervousfirsttimer Sun 03-Mar-13 21:04:31

Memphis has a restaurant called flight - google it - amazing mini courses where you get three dishes for each course. a Second vote for Peabody ducks - a lovely hotel too if your budget will stretch.

glitterbird Tue 12-Mar-13 21:39:18

I did a similar trip 5 years ago pre children but we did lots of activities that kids would enjoy these are my top tips
Memphis - Civil Rights museum fantastic museum it really puts into context why America race relations is the way it is www.civilrightsmuseum.org/

Stax Museum - if you like soul music this is the history of Otis Redding, Carla Thomas and Sam & Dave. www.staxmuseum.com/

Ride a trolley bus authentic and cheap

Graceland - even if you are not a fan its a place like no other

Peabody hotel - make sure you watch the duck parade happens twice a day v cute and they spend the day splashing around in the hotel fountain. Its v expensive to stay but you can have a milkshake or cocktail and take in the atmosphere

Eat some BBQ Pork somewhere like Charles Vergo Rendezvouz

Sun Studios - Really for the music lovers as its so small but v interesting as its where Elvis cut his first record as well as Johnny Cash, Jerry Lee Lewis etc www.sunstudio.com/

Nashville - Country Music Hall of Fame

Great stops if you can fit them into itinerary
Chattanooga - Tennessee Aquarium & take a river boat ride on the Tennessee River

Huntsville - US Space & Rocket Museum- loads of massive rockets, fun day out
www.spacecamp.com/museumHome

Tupelo - birthplace of Elvis good for a short stop www.tupelo.net/

Clarksdale - home of the blues a fun place to stay if you can get a room is the shack up inn www.shackupinn.com/

You might have guessed I am a bit of a music fan. Have a great trip

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now